double whammy - or, my valve is special

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

river-wear

Hi everybody,

As some of you know, I had a TEE a few weeks ago so my surgeon could get a better look at my regurgitant aortic valve. I knew the follow-up was going to be interesting when Dr. Castro starts with "I've never seen a valve quite like yours before." Lucky, eh? Going in, I had reports saying it "might" be bicuspid and that was about it. The TTE we had looked at in my first appointment barely showed a shadow where the valve should be.

He showed me the TEE and said I definitely have a BAV. And maybe it's just the way it was when I was born. He thinks it's much more likely I had endocarditis and it resolved on its own. This is because where the two flaps are fused, there's a big v-shaped cleft that could have been caused by erosion along the fused margin from the infection. That makes me feel kind of lucky to be alive. It also fits in with some other facts. I was diagnosed with the murmur when I was four years old (and went for my pre-kindergarten physical). Within a year before that I had an abscessed tooth that had to be pulled. It's possible that any fever I would have had would be attributed to the infection, and the antibiotics could have helped fight off the endocarditis.

The "cleft" in my valve leaves about 15% of the area open to constant flow back and forth. Now I also feel lucky it's lasted this long. Even better, depending on the condition of the valve itself, Dr. Castro thinks it wouldn't be difficult to fix. The CorMatrix (http://www.cormatrix.com/) stuff they use is really cool - my own cells would grow over it and ultimately resorb the patch material.

I don't really have any questions right now, but you guys are such a great support and I thought you might find the story interesting. I am a bit concerned about something I read about endocarditis is more of a risk for people who have had it before. I know Gail and a few others of you have had it, but I don't think anyone has been that unlucky twice. I hope.

I remember my cardiologist saying I had the weirdest valve he'd seen when mine was caught on echo for the first time. I always wondered if I didn't have endocarditis in my early 20's, and it too resolved on its own. It's all water under the bridge now that it's been replaced, but I still think about it from time to time.
Best wishes going forward.

Very interesting and some good news that your surgeon may be able to 'repair' your valve rather than replace it. I always hear surgeons say they always aim for a repair first, if possible. Hope that is the case for you.

Hi Michelle,
Your valve story is interesting. I know during my 2nd surgery to replace my porcine, my surgeon took a quick look at my mitral and thought it was odd looking, possibly congenitally deformed, and didn't think it could be repaired, but he couldn't spend time on it as I was too sick going into the surgery, so he left it alone, leaking moderately, and closed me up. He felt it could be addressed when needed with minimally invasive surgery thru the rib.
But, as you know, I got BE, necessitating another OHS thru the sternum. When he could get a good look at my mitral, and had time to address it, he found it was repairable, even though it had been affected by the endocarditis. So, I wish you good luck with yours. And as for getting BE again, having it once only ups the percentage of getting it again by about a percent. I am more careful about cat scratches, cuts in general, and wash, apply antibiotic ointment, and a band-aid. And I'm supposed to be more careful about walking barefoot, but I tend to forget that! I was told it's rare to get it, but I'm not so sure, as a few of us have had it. How about if others have had it and didn't know it, but it resolved on it's own? Interesting...

Michele, endocartitis is a potential problem for us all. For those of us who have tissue valves, the valve itself can be damaged but regardless of the valve type, the site where the valve is mounted can be damaged as well. It does mean that one must take antibiotics before dental work and at other times be more attentive to infections which in the past we might have just ignored. Because we have learned so much more about our hearts, we are much more aware of these possibilities but, actually, anyone can develop endocarditis and no doubt some people are more prone to doing so. It is something we live with but it is statistically far less likely than being hit by a car. We all live with risk.

Larry

Hi everybody,

The "cleft" in my valve leaves about 15% of the area open to constant flow back and forth. Now I also feel lucky it's lasted this long. Even better, depending on the condition of the valve itself, Dr. Castro thinks it wouldn't be difficult to fix. The CorMatrix (http://www.cormatrix.com/) stuff they use is really cool - my own cells would grow over it and ultimately resorb the patch material.

Hi, I too have just undergone TEE and a CT scan last week (do not know the results yet) and I will only will be told next week about what the actual cause is of my severe aortic regurgitation and how they want to fix it. The doctors had already mentioned however that a repair would be the first option they would consider. Has your surgeon/cardiologist given you an estimate of how long he/she expects the repair to last? Or is it a permanent repair?

Hi Marco, I haven't discussed specifics with the new surgeon (more experience in repairs). I'll see him next week. The first surgeon said he would only leave the repair in place if he thought it would be permanent. Of course, they can't make any promises, so we have to go with their experience and judgment. I expect the second surgeon I consult to say the same thing. My back-up plan is a mechanical valve, so I'm really trying to avoid another surgery in the future.

Someone recently posted a study saying that about 95% of mitral repairs don't require a re-op over a long period, and my chosen surgeon says his aortic repairs are 90-95% free of re-op at ten years. Doctors haven't been doing aortic valve repair very long, so I doubt any longer study would be available.

Have you considered what mech valve you'll choose as a backup? I guess I'll ask Dr Bavaria hoe they judge a repair to be "permanent"

Back