does this happen to you?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgammo

Hello all,

I am 2 weeks post op and feeling great. I have spent each and everyday out of the house and running errands. I was able to stand for over 4 hours yesterday! I've been able to sleep on my sides as well. I have a lot of energy and very little pain. God has surely blessed me with an amazing recovery thus far.

I do have one question though..

When I take a deep breath and hold it in, I can blatantly feel my heart beating as if it were literally beating against my sternum. It's not beating any faster than normal and it doesn't hurt, but it just feels awkward. Does this happen to anyone? Will it go away?

Thanks all!

Well its official Peter... God loves you more than He loves me. At 2 weeks I didn't feel very well still weak along with a bunch of other symptoms. Anyway as far as the thumping it was weird for me. For a while I didn't notice it too much, then like a month post op it got really noticeable and turned into a strong thumping whenever I took a semi deep breath and especially bad when I took a deep breath. Several months went by and it got a little better and now 10 months post op it has plateaued. Its still very noticeable and more than anything annoying. I'm thinking I'm going to have to live with it for the rest of my life. Bright side is I always know my heart is working...

It sounds exactly the same as what I experienced. It has gone away now but it stayed with me for about 6 or 7 months. I also noticed if I needed to belch I would feel the beating. Also, if I laid on my left side it would be much louder. I think it's normal.

Peter, good to hear that your recovery is going so well!!!! I couldn't sleep on my side for about 10 weeks after surgery!!!

My heart beat felt super strong after surgery - for a long time - especially with deep breaths. My advice to you - don't hold your breath!!!!

I feel pretty normal 11 months out, hopefully you will too.

Rachel

It's apparently normal. Hubby had his valve replaced 5/8/12 and I often find him with his hand up high on his chest, just below his neck, feeling the beating through his sternum.

He questioned his surgeon yesterday and was assured that is normal.

When I take a full breath in, that is when I fill my lungs to the brim, which I do lots and lots daily while working out - my heart knocks against my chest as if it is trying to say hello. ;)

There are several other threads here about this, and in one of them Bill B and/or others talked about anatomy of our internals. When your lungs get filled with air the naturally push your heart up and out, which makes it sound louder. This is the case because the pericardium is left open for almost all patients post OHS. Hope this helps.

After my first surgery it was noticeable for a few months and gradually went away. After my second surgery (16 months ago) I have had it from day one and still have it. If I had a watch with a second hand on it I could tell you my heart rate as I type this (and I have a tissue valve). I'm not sure if it's my heart, my dacron aortic graft, or both...but my doctors tell me that my heart, valve and aortic graft are all functioning fine. Ugh...that reminds me my next checkup is coming August 3rd.

Yep, I'm 5 weeks post op and it's a freaky feeling I will admit! At first I thought it was my sternum popping!!

I certainly experienced that from time to time after surgery, even now, nine months out. I asked the surgeon's PA about it and, if I am rememebering this right, he said the sack around the heart post surgery is not full of the fluid it had before surgery (they do not see it back up after surgery) and that the heart can shift around a bit and every now and then allowing it to rest against the sternum which amplifies the beating. My heart and valve always beats the loudest in the morning as well.

Latest posts

Back