Does Niacin affect INR?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

witzkeyman

tried to test 3 times with my Cougachek but I received error code 5 (not enough blood?) anyway, I'm a little frustrated now, and I'll wait till tomorrow to cool down. I asked my PCP to prescribe Niacin(prescription formula for cholesterol), and he said he didn't think it would affect the INR. I have to wait another 2 weeks for an appt. Does anybody have experience with Niacin? thanks in advance

I squeeze my finger for about 10 seconds after the blood comes out to get the ladybug size of blood. Someimes, I'm just impatient, and I get frustrated. Other times I call Tapestry and the nurse helps me relax and I'm always successful when I have her on the other end.

Apparently there is an interaction. I googled "Niacin and Warfarin" and found several references. Even on its own, Niacin increases the risk of bleeding and bruising, and with Warfarin, this risk is greater.

This sentence sums it up:

Niacin may increase the risk of bleeding when used with anticoagulants (blood thinners) or antiplatelet drugs. Examples include warfarin (Coumadin), heparin and clopidogrel (Plavix).

Here is one of the warnings for Niacin:

When You Should Not Take the Medication
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to niacin, or if you have severe liver disease, a bleeding disorder, or ulcers.

Even though we don't technically have a bleeding disorder, I equate being anticoagulated with having a bleeding disorder.

I squeeze my finger for about 10 seconds after the blood comes out to get the ladybug size of blood. Someimes, I'm just impatient, and I get frustrated. Other times I call Tapestry and the nurse helps me relax and I'm always successful when I have her on the other end.

I do my test every second Thursday in the afternoon. I actually look forward to it, and I have a good routine.

1) Pick a quiet time and place in the house.

2) Lay out your supplies on the table.

3) Wash your hands.

4) Adjust your lancer to a good enough depth. Don't be shy.

5) Turn on machine, insert strip, and wait for blood prompt.

6) Stick your finger (middle or 4th finger) just below the fingerpad.

7) Try not to squeeze your finger too hard, if you have lanced deep enough, you will get a nice drop of blood forming.

8) With the blood drop hanging from your finger, touch the side of the test strip, and KEEP your finger there until the machine beeps. It is drawing in the blood for a couple of seconds.

9) Sit back and wait for result.

10) Stick on a funky bandaid and you're done.

I squeeze my fing extremely hard. not anymore after reading your advice. thanks for the tip Bina.

If you read reports on the web, you will find that almost everything interferes with coumadin. My opinion, unless you take a very high dose of these items, there will not be any problem.

I take moderate doses of OTC Niacin, Omega-3, Vitamin E and several other supplements wich web sites report an interaction. . I have not noticed any problem, except every couple of years I need increase or decrease my doseage minimally.

tried to test 3 times with my Cougachek but I received error code 5 (not enough blood?) anyway, I'm a little frustrated now, and I'll wait till tomorrow to cool down. I asked my PCP to prescribe Niacin(prescription formula for cholesterol), and he said he didn't think it would affect the INR. I have to wait another 2 weeks for an appt. Does anybody have experience with Niacin? thanks in advance

Niacin, no problem.

Trouble getting blood on strip? Me too, years ago, and then I discovered capillary tubes.Blood on finger goes up tube. Then take tube to strip and squirt right on spot. I use Roche Coaguchek Cat. No. 461 NDC No. 50924-816-10
Capillary Blood Collection System.

Niacin

Niacin

I had a real bad experience with niacin. My first dose i went to shock with in mins. My husband took me to the ER! It messed up PTand my pacemaker went off too! I had to have a blood tranfusion. I spent 3 days in the hospital. Now I have to carry around a epi pen in case something like this happens again. I do have alot of allergies but never nothing like this.

Latest posts

Back