Does it make a difference?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lise, you will probably find that VR members are split on this topic.
My doctor prescribed Coumadin and I have done exceptionally well on it so I don't see any reason to change it.
(especially since I have drug insurance and can afford the 20% that I pay)

I switched because of cost. I see no difference between when I took name brand, and taking generic. I just have to be aware that when I change generic brands (like I recently moved Rx from Tom Thumb to Walmart, so the brand changed) I will possibly have to change my dosage a bit.

I have to tweek dosage about once every 3 months or so, due to changes in diet, exercise and water retention. That's just been normal for me for 3.5 years, no matter if the doctor was managing me or I'm self managing. We use the same dosage chart.

Lise, according to the USA "Food and Drug Administration" (FDA), there is no difference in the active ingredients in Coumadin or the generic Warfarin manufactured by FDA approved labs such as Taro. As I understand, there can be some difference in inactive ingrediants which have caused allergic problems for some people.

I took Coumadin for many years because doctors would not allow me to use Warfarin. I switched, with the approval of my Cardio and PCP to generic warfarin about 3 to 4 years ago with absolutely no effect on INR. In fact, I have been a little more stable on warfarin. I don't know about Canada, but in the US Warfarin is far less expensive than Coumadin.

I took Coumadin for almost 17 years. Switched to warfarin last year. I have seen no difference what so ever, other than it cost less. I was getting Coumadin through VA but they started requiring that I let them test and manage my INR. I wasn't about to do that! I was paying VA $24 for 3 month supply of Coumadin, now I buy 3 month supply of warfarin for $10 at Kroger. And the VA price was quite a bit lower than what Coumadin would cost at a pharmacy.

My INR has always bounced around some, not been as bad the last year but I feel that is due to home testing.

I switched because of cost. I see no difference between when I took name brand, and taking generic. I just have to be aware that when I change generic brands (like I recently moved Rx from Tom Thumb to Walmart, so the brand changed) I will possibly have to change my dosage a bit.

I have to tweek dosage about once every 3 months or so, due to changes in diet, exercise and water retention. That's just been normal for me for 3.5 years, no matter if the doctor was managing me or I'm self managing. We use the same dosage chart.

Laurie:

I've switched between Kroger & Walmart and have used warfarin made by 3 different companies. Haven't noticed any change in my INR.

My doctor seems to think that if I take the real stuff Coumadin instead of Warfarin it will make a difference what do you think?

The question is....a difference in what? Are you having a hard time getting your INR stable? If so, it's not about brand name/generic, it's about mismanagement.

Are you having a reaction to something (like the dyes used in the pills)? If so, you'll have to switch to the 10mg pill and split it for your correct dose.

It's tough to know the answer to your question without knowing what you're looking for.

If you live in the UK (or here) doctors have to prescribe by the generic name of the drug and if the generic versions of the drugs are in stock the pharmacist has to dispense them as far as I know, rather than branded drugs. I have been on generic warfarin since my OHS and it is just fine, the brands vary depending on what they have in stock, it doesn't seem to matter.

I suspect that Doctors who tell patients that Coumadin is "better" than Generic Warfarin are repeating what some Coumadin Sales Representative told them, probably many years ago.

One of the Generic Manufacturers sued one of the (several) Owners of the Brand Name Coumadin several years ago and WON. As I recall, that Generic had Less Variation than the (then) owner of the Coumadin Name (and there have been Several different Owners of the Coumadin Name as it was Sold from company to company).

FWIW, I have used Coumadin until my insurance would no longer pay the difference between Generic and Coumadin. Switched to Warfarin made by TARO (from Israel) with NO difference. Later switched to Warfarin made by BARR (from USA) when my company changed mail-order providers. NO difference.

BARR and TARO are well known and well respected manufacturers of Warfarin.

'AL Capshaw'

There is no mismanagement, I'm within range but it changes quite a bit from week to week, and he seems to think that if i take Coumadin it will be easier to regulate. I take 13mg every day 7 days a week with no change in my diet.

Lise if you don't mind paying a lot more for it, you can always try it, but I think you'll find the only difference is what your paying.

I've taken just about all forms that we have here in the U.S. and there has never been one lick of difference between any of them except name and amount of money spent on them. They all worked the same.

I'm not really worried about it since i'm within range, but he just seems to think that it shouldn't change that much week by week.

How much of a change are we talking about here?

Unless your having really wild swings from high to low or vice versa, anything in range is acceptable. I take 42.5 mg per week, doesn't matter what brand, and I've been all over the place from 2.3 to 4.0, but the majority of tests are nearly 2.9 semi consistently. Just saying that INR is not a constant and it's going to do it's weird thing from time to time.

There is no mismanagement, I'm within range but it changes quite a bit from week to week, and he seems to think that if i take Coumadin it will be easier to regulate. I take 13mg every day 7 days a week with no change in my diet.

How much does it vary from week to week? Can you provide us your test results and dates?

It's been known to happen, but most of us do not have the same INR from test to test.

Latest posts

Back