Does heart rate eventually return to normal?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

67walkon

My 3 week post surgery resting heart rate is a lot higher than it was pre-surgery. They have me on metotropol, which is supposed to slow the HR, at 25 mg, twice daily. Pre-surgery, my resting HR was in the 40's and now it is around 70 and it doesn't go up much when I walk.

Does it ever go back down to the pre-surgery levels? I feel good, except my BP is a bit too low, so I guess it doesn't matter too much.

Thanks, John.

Hi John,
Post op they had me on 50mg of metoprolol twice a day....too much.
Then I tried 37mg (1 1/2 of the 25 mg) pills twice a day.....much better, HR of around 60-65.
Yes, it will keep the BP quite low, but the lower HR is beneficial after OHS. The heart needs time to recover and remodel.

MANY of us reported elevated HR following OHS, often in the 100 to 120 range. Most were ECSTATIC when it returned to the 70's. Like everything else with OHS, it just takes time. I would expect that your Doctors are pleased with your status.

'AL Capshaw'

Some thoughts...

Be certain that you have measured your former rate correctly. HRs in the 40s are quite low and rare, and would indicate extreme training, similar to competition bicycling. If your heart were pacing at, say, 44 BPM right now, they would very likely lower your Metropolol dosage to bring it up.

Your heart rate, your blood pressure and presence or absence of palpitations will come and go over the first year, predominantly the first six months. Your heart first recovers from the physical cut and stitching, then rebuilds the tiny, surface nerve paths that were cut, then begins to return to a smaller, more normal size, based on the reduction in its workload.

In general, it doesn't seem to pay off to react too quickly to one of these symptoms, as they tend to be transitory. Of course, if there is abnormal pain, shortness of breath, or dizziness associated with it, then it should be looked at immediately by a physician. Blood pressure in particularl can have bursts of being off-kilter, and it's difficult to determine if the treatment should be wait-and-see, temporary, or permanent. I tend to lean toward the first two, as many of these issues pass in hours, days or weeks, but you do want your physician to make that call.

If your heart were beating above a "normal" rate, it would mean you should revisit the cardiologist, probably for more beta blocker. Yours is not, so it is sufficiently controlled to get you through the recovery period.

The fact that your HR doesn't rise much when you walk is probably due to the Metropolol. Because it is holding back normal exercise sinus tachycardia to the 70s, I would not be inclined to believe you should seek a higher dose at this time.

Your heart should eventually return to a rate similar to its former rate. You will need to give it some time, though.

Best wishes,

I'm amazed that they would medicate you for a heart rate of 70. This is a normal heart rate, and lower than mine has been in over 30 years. After surgery, mine was 105-120, levelled off at about 100 after a few weeks and stayed there until the fluid went away after about 9 months. It's now at about 74-80 (depending on the day), which is below my pre-surgery of 84-90.

I felt the same way for quite some time. Resting rate pre-surgery was in upper 60's. Stayed at 100-110 range for about 6 months before it started to slow down. Was over a year before I'd see anything in the sixties when resting. Toprol would bring my BP down so low I'd keep getting dizzy and hitting the floor, but the rate stayed up there. 3 weeks out - give it time - more than you think you'd normally need. This isn't a normal kind of insult to the body.

cooker said:
There a lot of people that would sign a contract for 70 bpm.

That would be me!!! :D

Mine is still in the upper 80's with bp at 90's/60's (makes me a little dizzy) and that's on 12.5 mg once a day!

Prior to surgery, my resting HR was approx 70. Immediately following surgery, it was in the low 100s for the first month. Then it gradually lowered, consistently, every week after that. By the 3-month point post-op, I was averaging about 75. Now (nearly 6 months post-op) I am in the upper-50s to low-60s almost every day (taking 25 mg of metotropol twice daily). The cardio wants me to continue the metotropol intil at least October (8-months post-op).

My one-year anniversary is in 8 days. My heartrate is lower now than it was before the surgery--probably because I exercise a lot more. But the surgery definitely increased my heartrate for several months. It's a slow process but it gets better over time.:)

Is this where I come to sign that contract for 70BPM heartrate? :p

Mine runs in the 90's on 25mg of Atenol/day. I would love for it to drop to my 70-80 pre surgery levels. W/out drugs mine runs 110 or more and that I really don't like. I'm 6 months post op and exercising plenty. I'm still hopeful it'll drop back maybe by year's end.

Take care,
Ruth

Excellent information!

My real HR pre-surgery was in the mid 40's at rest. That was partly genetics and partly from 57 years of doing endurance sports; in April of this year, I did a 150 mile bike ride over 2 days. I've run marathons and lately was biking 100 to 125 miles a week.

I think the answer sounds like it will take months to find out what my "new" resting heart rate will be. But at least it is very reassuring to know my heart isn't doing something really weird at this point.

I hate the toprol, by the way, and can't imagine taking even low doses long term. The low BP and the lethargy are awful!

John

BTW, I was put on Atenolol for awhile after surgery, partly for the heartrate, but mostly because of high blood pressure. It made me tired all the time and I had difficulty getting the energy to exercise. Needless to say, the weight I had gained from being on Prednisone for about 9 months wasn't going away. After about a year, I asked the doctor to put me on something else, which is when I went on Accupril. My blood pressure stayed low, my heartrate is lower than it was pre-surgery, and I feel so much better.

Good rule of thumb is that nothing is the same as it was before surgery.
Kathleen

When I was 'normal', before I got sick, I took 12.5mg of HCTZ for BP - pretty mild medication. I exercised a lot and resting HR was 62-64. I got sick with both endocarditis and pneumonia and HR went to 100 or so - probably a compensatory mechanism for inefficient lungs and heart.

Surgery (MVR) was in May'07. I am now on 25mg Metoprolol and 5mg Lysinopril once a day. I'm quite active - running or biking 4-5 days a week. Resting heart rate is at 67 most days. Immediately after surgery, I was on 12.5mg of Metoprolol once a day and resting HR at 75 or so. Surgeon recommended upping it to 25mg which is where it is now.

I'd like to get HR back down to 60 but, because of the drug changes, I don't think you can compare the before surgery / after surgery numbers.

John

Latest posts

Back