Does a quieter click mean anything?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Protimenow

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
This is REALLY long time post-op.

I have a St. Jude valve - it's been 19 years since my surgery.

It seems that my valve has gotten considerably quieter over the years - although my INR is still within range, and I don't notice any negative effects from a softer click.

I don't have a cardiologist or medical insurance.

Have any of you noticed that the valve gets quieter over time? (BTW:I don't think I've put on enough weight to muffle the click, and I still notice it at night, when I go to bed)

I know mine got quieter within 12 months of surgery, but I don't know about 19 years' worth.

In general, I notice it more at night - it's quieter in the house, plus the wooden headboard creates a sort of echo/amplifying effect.

Maybe your hearing is not as good as it used to be???? <grin>

Thanks for your response.
Actually, I think my hearing is okay. What got my attention was my haircutter - who I've been going to for decades - mentioned that he didn't hear my ticking as loudly as he used to - and put his head against my chest to listen for it. This seemed a bit strange, but got my attention. Perhaps my haircutter's hearing for those frequencies isn't what it used to be.

I'm asymptomatic for any relevant cardiac changes, so I guess I just won't be all that concerned about a perceived volume drop.

Protimenow,

I haven't noticed any difference. Does a quieter click mean anything to you ? Yeah, I think it means the Ebay auctions is ending soon.

You asked if a quieter click means something to me. That was my question when I started this post. You haven't noticed any difference in your click, but perhaps when/if your click suddenly gets softer, it MAY mean something to YOU -- and you may want to ask the same question I did. It could be life-threatening or, one hopes, it could mean nothing.

My question was a serious one -- although I didn't specifically say it, the question is 'do I have to worry? Might this mean that my valve is failing? Am I in some kind of danger?'

I appreciated AgilityDog's comment about her valve getting quieter a year after surgery.

You might want to visit a cardiologist to make sure that the valve is working properly. I had a St. Jude valve placed in the pulmonic position and that lasted 21 years, but it ended up "freezing open." I had my 2nd OHS in Aug. 2009. Getting an echo or a cath should help your doctor know what you need to do. Like you, my coumadin levels were pretty good and I heard it getting less loud over the years.

However, I don't mean to scare you. I also was born with tetralogy of fallot, so there were other issues at work for me. Hope everything looks good for you!

Thanks.

There's no cardiology visit in my near future - unless I have a MAJOR problem and go to an Emergency Room.

I was just looking for feedback from others, and appreciate all the replies.

Latest posts

Back