Do we have any walkers?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't drive so I've always been a walker (could never run though due to my heart), but when I was in shape I could do around 5-6km an hour (which is somewhere between 3-4mph). At the moment I'm trying to do a good 25-30 minutes a day at a reasonable pace, but the weather is so damn hot it's been a bit hard (it doesn't look like it will be dropping much below 100-105F this week - bleargh!!!!).

Anyhoo... looking forward to getting back to my old form and maybe burning up some of the dancefloor as well. Nothing like a fast Samba or Cha Cha to get you going! :D

A : )

Hey Anna, how are you doing with your recovery???
Glad to see your up and walking now.
All of us out here wish for that nice hot weather right
now, it's cold and raining here and I know most of the
country is cold and snowing too.
You mentioned that you have never been able to run, I find
it interesting that I am a TOF also and have never been able
to run. I tryed in high school and a few other times and it just does'nt work for me. I can also walk a 5k in an hour and ride my bike, but what is it with the running??? Any thoughts? Is it just because we have always been heart patients our whole lifes? Write back Debbie :)

Hey Debbie - I didn't realise you were a ToFer too! I'm going quite well actually and feel like this week has been a bit of a turning point where more things are easy than difficult and there's not too much I can't manage (still a bit tender, but nothing I can't handle).

Not sure what it is with the running - especially since I can dance like a maniac, which I would have thought was every bit as intensive as running, so who knows? I asked my cardio (at my 2 week post-op Doppler) if now that I've got a properly functioning pulmonary valve if I'd be able to run?... he grinned and said "not right now!" (well duh!), anyway, who knows - I've always been really fit otherwise, but even if my heart can manage it now, my knees might be my weak point.

Meanwhile you can have the heat. I hate it!! Does anyone want to swap places for a season? ;)

A : )

You were lucky your wife was there for you. Glad that all is well now.:)

Actually, I came to as soon as I hit the ground. She wanted to go the fire station a few blocks away and get help. I wouldn't have it, I was feeling ok and being stupid, I completed my walk. I called my Cardiologist for an appointment. He said get right down to his office. He ate me out good for not listening to my wife!

Sounds great Dyna.

I think walking is very important with recovery but also important in daily life.

I've had to use my treadmill this week up till today I hit the road. The TV does help using a treadmill but I still rather be outside if the weather is not too bad. Normally in the winter here the temperature seldom gets below freezing.

Good luck with finding a treadmill and with your recovery.

I just returned from my walk actually. I've been lazy but made a commitment earlier this week to join Weight Watchers and begin exercising again. So far so good! I have 3 dogs and they don't walk well together - 2 are alpha dogs and can't stand to have the other one in front and the 3rd is aging and can't go very far. So, I walk each one separately. Bentley the spoiled beagle goes first because otherwise he will make quite a racket in the house until it's his turn. Sammy the husky mix goes second. Jo Boxer is my cool down. All in all it's about 2 1/2 miles. I've just begun alternating walking and running with the first two dogs. I'm hoping to be able to add a little more running each day until I can eventually make the whole thing. Tonight it took me 40 minutes for the whole thing, but the last 1/2 mile is pretty slow with my old dog.

Olefin, where did you live when you were in Texas? 550 miles from Houston straight out I-10 would get you to Balmorhea, but it could also be Midland/Odessa, Lubbock, or almost to Amarillo. I'm guessing it's not anywhere in East Texas since you'd be out of the state before going 550 miles! My brother lives in your current state of residence, in Mountain Home, and my daughter is going to be a resident there in about 7 months, in Fayetteville. It's a beautiful state. My husband almost got transferred to Little Rock a while back and we were looking at Cabot.

Hey walkers, you need to post your miles on the weekly mileage throwdowns forum. Check it out, we're always looking for more people to post on it.
Thanks Debbie :)

Hi Lisa,
Well you hit it on the head. :)
We lived at Odessa for 40 years. I was born near Lubbock. My folks moved to AR when I was 14. After a tour in the USAF I married a local AR girl and we headed to the oil fields to make a living. After 32 years in the petrochemical industry I retired. We traveled in a motorhome for several years, found a nice lake lot here in Hot Springs, built a home and settle down. Living on a lake is a little different than west TX. :D

Your doing great with walking and running.

550 miles from Houston straight out I-10 would get you to Balmorhea, but it could also be Midland/Odessa, Lubbock, or almost to Amarillo.

wow, i didn't know anyone else had ever heard of balmorhea. almost
bought a place there, but opted for the metropolis of sanderson instead.

walk most days here, 20 minutes each way to university. in fact walk
everywhere in town, despite the city busses only costing 20 cents - but
then you might have to share a bench with a guy with 10 chickens in a sack.
managed a total of 12 miles yesterday, including a 9-mile walk to the
railway station outside of town. resting today, but for tomorrow's big
30-day post-op celebration, planning to head down to the university
track (nice, new spongy-rubber surface) and get in some 1/8 and 1/4-
mile slow jogs.

You know, I'm not a walker, but this post has encouraged me and I plan to start walking tomorrow!

Sadly, I don't walk enough.

However ... during the good weather days in spring, summer and fall, I walk during both of my breaks at work during the day ... 15 minutes each ... once in the morning and once in the afternoon.

I notice how much better I feel afterward, too. In fact, last week, the temps and weather were nice enough for me to venture out one day during my breaks. WOW ... I felt so invigorated afterward ... it was a good "boost"....

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...W Grill meal = 02/28/09
WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Get the word out" ... Collective Soul ... 'Feeling Better Now'

knightfan2691,

I agree about walking making one feel better.

I feel sure that daily walking helps keep my blood pressure down.

Back before I retired I jogged everyday after work. I could come home with a stress headache and soon after I hit the jogging track the headache was gone.

I went to the gym for the first time since my surgery in November this morning. Did my usual pre surgery 3 miles in an hour. Noticed something cool. I wasn't tired or out of breath. I never even broke a sweat like before. Oh my, I might be fixed!!!!!

Latest posts

Back