Do we have any walkers?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hope this is the right place for this. :)

So how often, how far and fast do you walk?

I try to walk every day for 3 miles. Takes me about 48 to 50 minutes.

I started jogging daily in 1976. About a year before I had valve replacement I switched to walking on the advise of my Cardiologist.

I'm a firm believer that jogging and walking has paid off, for I'm in great health with normal blood pressure. :)

I am a walker and I love walking. I do 3.5 miles on the treadmill in one hour, and 2 miles when I walk by the beach in 40 minutes. I never jogged befoer due to my heart condition.

I noticed your cardio was a good surgery time estimator, like mine!! All my life I was told I may live the rest of my life without the surgery,until 7 years ago, my cardio estimated the surgery will be necessary within 5-7 years! He was a good guesser:)

I'm a walker. Length and speed vary by weather/time of year. I live in cold New England so we keep our walks to about 2+ miles this time of year. In spring and fall, we walk about 50 minutes but hot, humid summer days only about 35-40 minutes.

Cardio loves that we walk and often sees us as his office is not too far from our house and if we walk after our dinner, we sometimes run into him leaving his office for the day. I always ask if that earns me 'brownie points'. :)

When I had my second OHS last February, my early recovery was so much easier on me because of my walking. All my doctors and nurses agreed that consistent, year after year walking makes a huge difference at least in the early recovery. I'm not sure it made that much difference at the 3-6 month point.

I had to double take that title then, but my eyes are still full of sleep! I love walking. before my diagnosis I'd walk to the beach and back, about seven miles a day after work, it strangely became something I couldn't go without. And I'd walk my dog too as seven miles was too far for him ! He's only got little trotters!
A couple of weeks ago I was up to two hours plus a day, but I think it was too much so sadly I've cut it back about one hour a day now.
I firmly believe it's about the best exercise you can do, a good brisk walk, second only to a good long swim (I'm terrible at swimming though!).

My dog takes me for two walks a day. Two miles in the AM and two miles in the PM...one hour each 7/365. I used to jog but I found that I couldn't do it anymore about four years ago. I can walk fine on level ground but hills are tough.

Jim

I'm like Jim ,have trouble on hills and steps. I also used to jog some,
but too SOB now. I love to walk and bicycle,but it has to be outside.
I can't seem to get the hang of exercising too much inside. I have
even joined clubs before...and what a waste for me. It seems I need
to be involved in an activity. Maybe I should get a dog,since that way
I can't weasel out of it.

I walk every day, both outside and a few times a week at the gym on the treadmill at which time I walk at about 4 miles per hour with an incline of 5 for a half hour (warm up and slowdown included in the half hour).

When I am on vacation in a new city, I walk all day!!!

I try to walk 3 miles a day, with a longer walk midweek and on the weekend. We also are trying to day-hike more often--it's more a scheduling than physical limitation. The local chapter of Appalachian Trail Club sponsors a mid-week hike of about 5 miles. Amazingly there are lots of good hikes within 30 minutes of DC, some of them right in the city. Most of our vacations are at least half walking/hiking.

Years ago, I was a long-distance runner. That seems 3 or 4 lifetimes ago now. Ran a few marathons, a few half-marathons, and many 10Ks -- even though my body type is not wispy thin.

Now I will not argue with anyone who says walking is the best exercise. Used to walk 3 miles easily. Had knee surgery in September and walks have more typically been 1 mile recently. But just this week, I have gotten in a couple of 2.5 mile walks, so hopefully I an getting back there.

Almost always my dog Sadie is my walking companion. Just say the word "walk," and she goes crazy with joy.

I noticed your cardio was a good surgery time estimator, like mine!!

Hi Eva, Sounds like you have a nice place to walk and you're doing a great job of it.

Also your cardio did great with your estimate.
Mine did fairly well, Although he had ran an echo on me and it looked OK. Two months later I collapsed while fast walking. Wife was walking behind me and noticed I was staggering before I fell. I don't remember any of it.
He repeated the echo and recommended surgery, ASAP. That was back when AIDS in blood was common so I saved up 4 pints of blood for the surgery. Didn't help much for before it was over I had been given 21 pints.

Superbob, My wife has knee problems but ok now.

Until a couple years ago she walked with me and had for many years. Then she had a spell with osteoarthritis in both knees. Her Rheumatologist recommended 5 Hylagan (rooster comb) shots to each knee, a week apart. She said they would last 6 months. Hers lasted a year, so she got another round of shots. She says as long as that works so good she will never have surgery.

Enjoyed all the post from you "walkers"... including you Ross! :D

Like I said, I'm a firm believer in walking or other good exercise.

Last year my Cardiologist wanted to do a Cardiolite stress test. He said I had some thickening in my heart. I reminded him that was there before surgery but he still wanted the test. He had just got the machine and I think he wanted to pay for it. :D

After injected the Cardiolite stuff, he brought up the treadmill speed and incline to the maximum for a person my age. Well, my heart rate didn't increased. He had to keep cranking up the speed and incline to get my old ticker up to max. He and his nurse couldn't believe I was in that good shape.

My thanks to all!

Dear Olefin

Dear Olefin

Yes, I do walk. I walk all around my neighborhood, which is 2 miles. I try to go every day. I usually do the stationary bike several times a week too. It will be one year Feb 11th, since my aortic valve replacement. I still am not in the shape I was in before the surgery. I basically was asymptomatic. I also had some complications, one of which is pericarditis. I am taking a low dose of prednesone for that. I am sure that's why my recovery has been so slow.

Keep up the walking! Kathy

Hey, you guys need to post in the Throwdown posts.
We keep tract of all our miles, running, walking, swimming, biking, whatever you want to do, check it out
Take care Debbie :)

Latest posts

Back