Do people stare at you too?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tell them you were in a knife fight and see the reaction you get. Or better yet, for the guys, stand in line for a roller coaster and ask your friend if it is wise for you to get on the coaster in front of the ride operator. Like everyone says no biggie.

I wear mine with pride now. I was 26 when I had my AVR 3 years ago (and my first surgery as a 6-year old yielded a horizontal scar) so at first I tried to hide it, and then I said "to hell with it" and now I don't even notice.

I actually find it really interesting gauging the different reactions...some people look and then look away and pretend they didn't look, some do a really obvious double-take, some just plain old stare, some can talk to me for a long time and never notice, some ask me directly (especially kids: "What's that pink thing?" :D), some ask my husband or friends about it because they're too bashful...I think it's a very interesting social experiment.

At least that's how I look at it.
But the bottom line is, that scar is a sign that I'm in better working order now, so it's a badge of honor as far as I'm concerned :)

totally puffed up

totally puffed up

well, i can see i am the exception to the rule; no one except wife and doctor see any of my scar. mine really is an ugly, puffed up pink welt.

but then i have never been one to roam around with my shirt off or unbuttoned, so why would i change the habit of a lifetime just because i had ohs

anyway, i would be uncomfortable with the notion of exposing my 7.5 inch gash.

When my hip got real bad a few months ago I started using Canadian crutches. You know the kind that most polio victims use that wrap arond you foreams. So I am used to folks staring at me. In a few month when I get a new hip perhaps they will then stare at the chest scar.

I proudly wore my battle scar from the get go! Yeah, sometimes people would stare and sometimes some would question me. It becomes an interesting topic.

Mine is pretty faded now. But when I first started wearing V necks you could see it ...It looked like I had old lady cleavage..Which I don't.. Haha

hey,

yup, I get stares alot, sometimes questions, I am getting better about it but I used to have moods where I would be self conscious about it, I wear pretty much whatever I want, my scars are 21 years old and 18 years old, been there since I was little, so I dont know what its like to not have a scar, my main sternotomy scar is hypertrophic, its raised, not really red any more though, I remember when I discovered it, LOL I was a little kid, sitting in the bath tub oh yeah? whats this? LOL

I have three brothers- they may look at the scar, but it is secondary in their thoughts- see, if they get caught looking at your chest, they can claim innocence and mention the scar... but it isn't forefront on their minds! (I have a few female friends I can lump into that same catagory...)

A strange ladies facial expression as she nearly passed out as she
starred
AHHHHH i knew she was jealous and just wanted one like my (jewlery)(SCAR):)I wasn't givin it to her either so stare stare i see your dirty underwear,she seemed in shock of jealousy:p

After I was discharged from CC, we stayed at the hotel for a couple of days. I was in the hospital cafeteria, when a little kid looked at me, and actually said, "oh yuk! :eek:

I am proud of my scar, and often wear blouses that reveal it. I have a couple of lavaliers, that I used to wear a lot. It seems to me that wearing one would be like putting an arrow on my chest! :D

. I have a couple of lavaliers, that I used to wear a lot. It seems to me that wearing one would be like putting an arrow on my chest! :D

I have a particularly lovely one, an antique with a nice "rock" in it. I was so disappointed with that arrow feeling (I know just what you mean!) that I had it shortened. Putting some distance took away that arrow effect. On some necklaces you can have a chain changed so that you can have optional lengths (sometimes you want to wear it over a blouse and need more length). In my case, the stone was suspended and stationary and had to be shortened. But for those on a "bail" that swings on the chain, you can have a jeweler (or if you're handy, do it yourself) insert a small closing ring at different increments at the back of the neck.

I also had a young child (came to my door selling Girl Scout cookies) who just gawked at me...... I heard the mother scold her as they departed. Kids are just kids!! :rolleyes:

My scar is 3 years out and hypertrophied some, but actually improving abit, I think. A little bit of mineral powder takes off the shine and glare of it, and I just don't care anymore! I wear what I want. My husband and my 22 year old daughter are totally okay with it so why shouldn't I be? (my 26 and 24 year old sons won't comment because, well, you know, they would have to look at my chest to make the call!! and we've already had that discussion!;))

I really like what Smiley said... been there, done that and got the scar to prove it!! Mine is definitely a "Gotcha" mark, too!

Marguerite

I am almost there...surgery will be within 1-2 weeks (date decision tomorrow), I was thinking about the scar when I wear something "low-cut".

I am so glad to hear you all wear it proudly!

I mean the scar not the boobs ;)

Hey, Can I get a tattoo around the scar? not right now, but since I have 2 already I was thinking vines with grapes....wait maybe I was thinking of drinking that...pumphead...maybe a rose trellis ..wheee....

Latest posts

Back