Dizziness

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

bani

Hi,

I am 10 weeks post-op, no complications and overall doing o.k. There is just this one problem: dizziness. Some days I think it's gone, but it always comes back. It is not dependant on medication (take only Aspirin now), or sudden movements, or what I eat. I am sitting on the sofa, and here comes the dizziness. Sometimes a "weird" heat beat seems to trigger it.

My cardiologist (but at that time I was still on medication), and rehab pros don't seem to be concerned. The cardio nurse said, it could be an anaesthesia after-effect. But after 10 weeks?

Any of you who experience that, too?

has anyone checked you for anemia. My first visit to my primary dr after surgery, looked at me and said 'you are anemic', gave me a shot (or iron, I guess), sent me off to the hospital and had them check my blood. He was right! However, this might be something else, and I would certainly pursue it. After 10 weeks I doubt you should be dizzy, esp if you aren't on anything but aspirin.

I'm thinking like hensylee, it might be anemia. I doubt that you would be suffering the effects of anesthesia at 10 weeks postop.

Thank you, Ann. I don't think it's anemia, since I got blood transfusions in the hospital, and everybody says how well I look.

I personally wouldn't hesitate to blame the anesthesia at ten weeks -- I'm still blaming it at four years, but then I need a lot of excuses.
An irregular heart beat is a common side effect of OHS, and an inefficiently pumping heart is not circulating blood very well. Unless the irregularity becomes more constant, it's not a big problem. There are medications that can regulate the heartbeat, but they also have some nasty side effects. I take magnesium which keeps the heart beat fairly regular. You could just eat magnesium-rich food, which generally are the foods that are rich in Vitamin K, which I tend to avoid. There is one good source of magnesium which is not rich in Vitamin K, and that is chocolate, a very heart-healthy food.

You made my day! I LOVE chocolate. And I am taking magnesium. Thanks.

The following is a copy of a Feb 2005 posting by me.

I had feelings of lightheadedness during weeks 6 to 12 post surgery. I felt so bad one day that I went to emergency during the seventh week. They reported all tests were within norms. My doctor would tinker with meds but I got no relief.

Also I had several episodes of the room spinning violently. I was wearing a 24 hour Heart monitor during the worse episode but there were no blips on my record.

Gradually it went away.

Today I am fine except for an occasional ocular migraine.

Hope your condition clears up soon.

Another thought would be fluid in your inner ear. I have a friend who started stumbling & falling - she thought she had something dreadfully wrong.Turned out to be fluid, no infection, just fluid. Doctor had her drink more water to help flush her system and use a heating pad for brief periods of time to help drain. Worked wonders. You might want to have Dr. check.

The ocular migraine sounds like a good possibility too.

Hope you get some resolution soon.

Cris

Dizzy also

Dizzy also

I am about 11 weeks post op. About once a week since the second week I get dizzy for about 5 seconds usually when I stand up rapidly. Not enough to fall down, but enough to want to sit down for the five seconds. I drive a car once a week but worry that I might get a dizzy spell. Yet I can take 250 steps on my manual treadmill daily and do not get dizzy. I still have small light flashes at the edges of my eyes about three times a day but hardly bright enough to mention. In the post op first and second week about once a day I would see double for about 5 seconds while sitting still. Starting in the 11th week I feel okay to do light yard work including mowing. The left side of my chest is still sore to the touch, but I go 4 or 5 hours now without being aware of the soreness. I found a big difference between the 9th and 11th week in being able to be active all day without being depressed.
72 year old male in southern UT

Bani and TONY =

A spinning room is one of the possible results from inner ear irration or inflamation or excess fluid in you inner ear.

I was evaluated for Meniere's syndrome after experiencing some dizzyness and 'spinning world' symptoms several hours after pigging out at a Buffet style restaurant. One of the tests includes blowing (warm or cold) air into your ear. I was throwing up until the bial started coming out. Believe me, you don't want to go there if you can avoid it! Prior to the 'blowing in the ear' test, doctors will have you lay down on an examing table, then sit up rapidly, lay you over to one side and back up, then the other side and back up and have you follow some moving lights with your eyes to check for ballance / eye issues. These simple tests can be helpful and are probably worth pursuing for anyone who experiences spinning or spinning world sensations, especially if they can get to a doctor while they are experiencing the sensation.

Bottom Line: My ENT recommended a mild (non-potassium reducing) diuretic (I declined after my cardiologist balked), a Low Sodium and Low Sugar Diet, not to mention SMALL meals :). Diet control seems to be working and I NEVER pig out to that level any more.

'AL Capshaw'

blood pressure

blood pressure

I would suggest monitoring your blood pressure. Sometimes your symptoms can be the result of low blood pressure.

Latest posts

Back