Dental clean after Valve Replacement

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pellicle;n868669 said:
If I had one of those tricorders they have in star trek ....
Ha funny you mention it . I showed my son an episode of the original star trek the other day and he got a kick out of it. He saw William Shatner in another show and had the normal human reaction to him so I figured I'd show him a couple episodes.
As you already know my valve wasn't replaced and I'm sure that affects the whole recoating process for good or ill. I was told it would be done in 6 months but that seemed like a stock answer and who the hell knows really. With my original valve the need for antibiotics is considered even lower but my surgeon wants me to take them an hour prior. Now maybe that's because he's a bit older but he knows far more about the subject than I ever will . I'm skeptical of big pharma but not to the point where i'm jumping over to the point where I'm automatically anti "western medicine" as a kind of religion. Not that I'm accusing anyone out here of that.

Hi
cldlhd;n868671 said:
As you already know my valve wasn't replaced and I'm sure that affects the whole recoating process for good or ill. I was told it would be done in 6

Well I'd say that you valve is cellular because it is cells not a bit of leather our pyro carbon.

It's just the aneurysm repair we don't know about

There will be bits of scar tissue at the sewing site too. Like he says lower risk but still higher than normal, and normal can get endocarditis too

Now that you've already had one OHS you are one more OHS down the line compared to them, which increases your chances of a bad outcome of your endocarditis requires OHS to treat too.

Interesting thread....I just found it.
There's been a lot of vitriol spewed between some of the people on this forum -- I was a favorite target a few years ago. I'm glad that this hasn't recurred -- so far.

A few of my personal insight:

Before my valve surgery 25 years ago, I had quite a bit of dental work done, and got the clearance for surgery.

One of my cardiologists a few years before the surgery wanted me to take antibiotics before any dental services - he prescribed gentamycin - an early generation antibiotic that has a long history of causing deafness in people who took it. Fortunately, that didn't happen to me, and since then, I haven't gone anywhere near gentamycin.

I haven't done a good job of my oral hygiene - years of laziness and never having gotten into the habit of brushing and flossing and the other stuff I'm supposed to do have made it hard for me to keep up a regular brushing regimen. (This failure to treat my teeth well resulted in a broken tooth this morning - I'll see if I can get it fixed before delaying too long).

My dentists have all required Amoxicillin before ANY procedure. In fact, some of the dentists keep it in their offices in case patients with a history of OHS come for treatment or exams. One dentist wrote a prescription for 20 tablets, so I'd be able to take them before my dental appointment.

I don't think that the issue is about killing gut flora. I think it's about knocking out the flood of bacteria that get into the bloodstream as a result of dental work. The antibiotics are usually a one time relatively high dose. The order of things like this goes: take antibiotics, release the nasty bacteria into the bloodstream where they all (it's hoped) get killed, go on with your life.

There's really no profit in manufacturing Amoxicillin - it's hard to believe that people would have it recommended to enrich the manufacturers of this low profit generic medication.

A brief update (off target, but related to my post last week). I was able to get into the dentist last Monday (9/19). He agreed that it was a food idea to pre-medicate with Amoxicillin (even if it was just a few minutes before the dental work). He gave me a prescription for Amoxicillin that should be taken before dental procedures. I don't think that it's that terrible to do this -- certainly much better than getting endocarditis if I don't (no matter how low the risk of this may actually be).

This may, ultimately, be up to you, your dentist and your cardiologist, but it seems like a pretty low risk way to head off some really nasty stuff.

Latest posts

Back