Dental clean after Valve Replacement

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got dental clearance the week before surgery with no problems having not been to a dentist for 12 years, so as soon as could walk the distance to the dentists i went and signed up and had my 1st check up at 6 months, and then they made me another appointment for november , so i'd guess 6 months is the norm.

I had already made an appointment for October before my surgery early July.
Not sure whether to keep it, or reschedule for January '17.
Maybe I should reschedule.

As far as I am aware there isn't a waiting period. It should be insisted upon but make sure your dentist offers antibiotics. Also, discuss any anti-coagulation medication.

I look at it that preventative dental care is still safer than the alternative, that being not looking after your oral health and having nasty complications down the track.

(Resident dental nerd!)

I'm on the every 6 months schedule now but had a cleaning and clearance before surgery so I have it about 10 months post.

IIRC, my surgeon wanted a completely clear dental exam prior to surgery, then he directed that aside from any emergency work, no "invasive" dental work until 6 months post-op. He included dental cleaning in that list of invasive procedures. He also directed antibiotics prior to any invasive dental work, regardless of what the professional associations were saying (that antibiotics weren't really necessary).

epstns;n868358 said:
IIRC, my surgeon wanted a completely clear dental exam prior to surgery, then he directed that aside from any emergency work, no "invasive" dental work until 6 months post-op. He included dental cleaning in that list of invasive procedures. He also directed antibiotics prior to any invasive dental work, regardless of what the professional associations were saying (that antibiotics weren't really necessary).
Sounds like pretty assertive advice. Thanks for your answers guys. I think I'll leave it to January.
I'll ask around, just for the sake of completeness, and post my 'findings'.

Interesting that a surgeon would request dental clearance before surgery, wonder how common that is. I can't answer your question but I am squeezing in lots of work- 3 new crowns & a cleaning before my anticipated upcoming surgery. I'm on eliquis blood thinner & have had no bleeding problems at all- my cardio said not to skip it & not to take antibiotics, though I question that for the cleaning.

Cleveland is requiring pre-surgical dental clearance, including new Xrays (my last films were taken in January). My dental appt is this afternoon. My cardiologist is a stickler about antibiotic before dental cleanings, even in my case before the valve is replaced and definitely afterward. His nurse told me they have seen too many patients develop endocarditis if the med is skipped.

When I had my surgery a few years ago, I needed written dental clearance from my dentists office right before the surgery took place and I had to wait 6 months for any invasive procedure. I believe that is the norm in the US now. The doctors want to avoid any chance of bacteria from a dental procedure traveling to your heart and you get endocarditis or some other complication while you are recovering. I had that happen in my early 20's before I realized I had a bicuspid valve, and it wasn't fun.

Glad you posted this topic! it jogged my memory that this was a question I meant to ask at my appt with my cardiologist earlier this week. Unfortunately it didn't make my list of written questions and since my stroke my memory is not the best. Oh well, I guess I can ask when they call me weekly regarding my INR.

Also interesting how many needed dental clearance! I was not asked to provide it...

Did not need pre-surgery dental clearance. Had my first cleaning 4 months post-op. Cardio was cool with it. Prescribed antibiotics and did not have me change my warfarin dosage.

I know that pre-op dental clearance is still the protocol at Northwestern Memorial in Chicago. I had my pacemaker and a wire replaced in July, and they wanted clearance even for that. I asked why and they said something like "If things go badly wrong, we need to be fully prepared to perform open heart surgery, and that clearance is required for OHS."

Agian, just check with the cardio for Antibotics for premed before cleaning. You will have to do that since your surgery. They will want to make sure you do not have infection that will go down to the heart. Therer is no waiting period, just follow the premed proticall. Hugs for today.

Pel, my surgeon's office isn't returning calls.
Anyway, the dentist stated they wouldn't do it until 6 months post-surgery UNLESS the cardiologist insisted, and then not before 3 months.
ABSOLUTELY premed with antibiotics, Caroline :)
January, it is.
btw, love you guys.

I'm sad (but glad of the outcome) to report a case in point on this topic.

A fellow here called Tim who I have been helping with managing his INR (he's recently had an AVR and taken a Mech) went to the Dentist a while back and that night started with a 40C fever ... admitted to hospital and in his own words:

It seems I escaped the death sentence. 10 days of Rifampicin and Vancomycin cocktails, about 25 litres in total (I’m allergic to the Penicillin family), two echocardiograms, numerous blood culturing exercises and finally a TOE down the throat and they declared me free of endocarditis.

the cause it seems was hist dental scale and clean, again from the horses mouth:
Several Doctors asked if I had had any dental treatment…. Yes, the morning of the hospital admission…10 am scale and polish at Dentist, 10pm raging 40 degree fever and blue-light to hospital.. They ALL said that was the most likely culprit. I asked how to avoid and the reply was ‘don’t go to the dentist…it’s your choice, heart or teeth…’. Seems human oral bacteria is a particularly nasty cocktail of bugs that doesn’t really want to be allowed in your bloodstream. Plenty on the www about it, nothing in the dentists waiting room...

so it seems that the UK still persists on keeping valve patients in the dark about oral hygene, still persists with its "antibiotics don't matter" philosophy and seem to want to be involved by withholding modern medicine in the deaths of people. I find it frustrating that these "professionals" persist in keeping their heads only in their own holes ... and not being a bit more cross disciplined.

So, folks ... don't do dentists inside 3 months (risk is too high) and do take antibiotic cover. I've your a mech valver DO take samples of INR before and after (like its only 6 bucks a test) to confirm impacts on INR (depth and and duration)

29349949740_d2f404f36c.jpg

I'm so lucky to have been born in Australia

sorry pellicle but to make a sweeping statement about the uk and how they keep valve patients in the dark etc is way off, do you live here? no , yes there are professional and experts which am sorry you are not,no offence mate but your way of base, Speaking of my own matters I don't have anti bio on a clean or polish why would I, most peoples teeth bleed on brushing a bit anyway, when I have major teeth work done common sense prefails and I have been given anti bio cover to counter that by my dentist and hospital who have taken my root out, bit harsh to say the uk has its head up its arris, maybe some parts have cert not all , I come from the uk and am proud to do so, we have our faults but all in all we do ok,

Latest posts

Back