DENIED!!!! CoaguChek XS

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freddie

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Just heard from my Doctor. I've been denied to receive a home monitor.
Reason after investigating the machine and phone calls to other pharmacies "NOT ACCURATE - only 75% accuracy - INR range can be 2.5 out (high or low)".

Now you all are going to think that my Doctor is on smack. And I'll be seeing her again at the end of the month.

Two weeks ago I gave her the broucher, web sites - provided by members, and e-mails that I received from members. But is there ANYTHING else I can do?

To make my plea for a third time I have printed out all 26 pages from the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services. I've checked out all the sticky's and written down the web sites AGAIN. What more can I do??

Maybe a RALLY???? Maybe everyone could provide more proof..........I don't know.
My hopes are rather dashed right now, but I won't give up. Deep down I do have some hope, but if ANYONE can give me more, pppllleeeaaasssseeee pass it on.

Thanks

Your doctor could indeed be on drugs or is a moron.:mad:

If the monitors were off by 2.5 we would all be dead by now. For crying out loud!!!!
I'm sure that you can get a prescrip from your cardio who obviously has more brains in his head.

Find another doctor. This one is severely undereducated.

That's totally ridiculous Freddie! I would be so P O'd!!! :mad: :mad: Is this your cardio that's telling you this?? Obviously & I'm sorry to say this, but this doctor is under educated on home monitors! I would continue to be very persistent & do not back down!

Norma, its my GP who told me this and Bina is probably right about the .2 This news took me so off guard that I probably mis-understood her.

But a .2 wouldn't be off the mark of 75%????

Freddie said:
Norma, its my GP who told me this and Bina is probably right about the .2 This news took me so off guard that I probably mis-understood her.

But a .2 wouldn't be off the mark of 75%????

Then you need to make an appointment w/your cardio & make your appeal there! Do it ASAP!

Freddie said:
Saw the cardio this past Monday...he never heard of it. Another dead end :(

Then change cardios!!!!!

I remember having a previous cardiologist that took me as a patient when my long-time cardologist retired!:( He was the cardio from HELL!!! He woud actually start shouting at me when my INR was out of range & he wanted me to tell him exactly what I was eating & how much! One time, before I went to see him, I downloaded some information on a home monitor & took it to him to see & he threw the papers in the trashcan!!!! Well, that did it! :mad: :mad: I stormed out of his office & I told him I never wanted to see him again. The following week I made an appointment with another cardiologist. I did not press the issue on a home monitor w/him because I was actually tramatized by my whole experience with the doctor from HELL!!

It wasn't until I finally found the cardio I have now that I felt comfortable to ask him to authorize a home monitor & he faxed in the papers to QAS directly from him office. No fights, no nothing! That's the difference of having a cardiologist that is willing to help his patients & go all out to & make them feel more comfortable. God knows we're already going thru enough stress, we certainly don't need more!

Keep on it; find another cardio if you have to! Good luck Freddie & don't give up! :) :)

I would find a doctor that is willing to let you home test.

1. It's the best way for you to stay safe and in-range.
2. If a doctor has such an erroneous view of home testing and has not read up on home testing, my next question would be "What else is he living in the Ice Age on and how does that affect his treatment of me?"

I would ask him to watch these videos http://valvereplacement.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24104

I'm not exaggerating - I would not go to a doctor who wouldn't agree to me home testing.

It's not an easy thing to change physicians, but it's clear this doctor is not up on current warfarin strategies.

Denied?

Denied?

I agree with what others have previously posted...it's time to find a competent doctor who understands home monitoring machines. Like many other doctors, my cardiologist firmly believes in home monitoring. His staff really helped me when my insurance company denied my InRatio monitor.

There are a lot of medical folks who don't understand home monitoring or INR lab testing. Our local medical clinic used to have a home monitoring machine, but got rid of it because they couldn't get it to match the results of INR testing in the local hospital lab. They never questioned all of the factors which could impact lab results.

Changing doctors is inconvenient, but it's not that hard. Find one who understands home monitoring.

-Philip

Freddie

Freddie

Freddie you need to find the right family doctor that will listen to you
and is open minded enough to realize the benifit it has for you.

zipper2

Never give up!!!

Never give up!!!

Freddie:

As hard as it is, you really need to find a new doctor who can address all of your medical needs. The CoaguChek people have been around for more than 10 years. The problem is that home testing is new to our respective shores, Us and Canada. Did you know that only 1% of the people in the US who are on anticoagulation have home testing? In countries like Germany the figures are double diget.

A second thought, if you really can't ( I can't imagine why) change doctors, perhaps you could do what I did. I got the names and locations of coumadin clinics in the United States. THen, I called all of the ones in Arizona and asked how they tested prothrombin time. I also called nearly all of the hospitals in the Phoenix Metro Area and asked the same question.

I can't remember the exact figures now, 7 years later, but at that time a clear majority used the CoaguChek monitor. My internist did not want us to use our monitor, but when he saw that the VERY hospitals that he used had CoaguChek monitors in their emergency rooms, he blinked a bit.

I managed to get our doctor to let Al use the monitor, but he had to test at the doctor's office (blood draw) once a month. Then, I continued to pelt him with information from this and other sites. Later on, he agreed to Al having a blood draw every three months. And still later on, he agreed to no more blood draws..Free at last!!!!

Several years ago, I helped our doctor set up his own "Coumadin Club" in his office. Nearly all of his anticoag patients test in his office now, all finger stick.

Don't give up. You have options. Carve your own roast, don't just let them throw you a bone. You know I am here to help.

Blanche

Freddie get the clown to watch those videos Karlynn posted. I want to see the arguement then. Find another Doc. Do whatever it takes. Just don't settle for No.

Freddie:

Sounds like your doctor relies on lab draws (yucko). If the roles were reversed, would she want to be relying on lab draws every week to 2 weeks for the rest of her life? I think not!

Being on warfarin longterm (i.e., the rest of your life) means you need a TEAM approach at saying healthy. Having a POC (point-of-care) tester helps immensely.
My own PCP has said outright that he wants me to take a part in my health, that he has many patients to care for and can't be a 100% expert on everything under the sun. So he's very appreciative of my education via this website and has repeatedly said that he wishes all insurance companies covered INR home testers.
One of these days, I will have to find another PCP; my doctor is about the same age as me (57) and one day he will retired.

Good luck with appealing your doctor's decision. My instinct would be to call around for a new doctor and find one who is willing to let an educated patient home-test.

Wow , thanks everyone.

Ross I have all the video addresses Karlynn posted. AND I'll give them to my Doctor again.

As far as finding another Doctor, which seems what the majority would like me to do..........I Think I would rather go to the lab for blood work. No, seriously, trying to find a another Doctor around here is next to impossible. No one is taking new patients. I've tried that.

My doctor did tell me that she would show me the report her med students did in regards of home testing.

I guess the best thing to do is to arm myself with everything I/we got and try again.

Thanks everyone :)

Freddie, the problem with her med students doing the research is that they don't even know what they are dealing with.... or they will do their best to sway the evidence in the doc's favour for bonus points.
Can you see them presenting a case to her saying, "Ha ha, Dr. Twit, you were wrong!" No way.

call your cardio dude and get his opinion.

Freddie - her med students obviously have extremely flawed data. I challenge her to believe her med students over the doctors in the videos as well as the hundreds, maybe thousands of doctors' offices that use the same machines in her offices that are used by those of us at home.

There are also articles on home testing in our Resources forum. Print those out for her.

Freddie said:
My doctor did tell me that she would show me the report her med students did in regards of home testing.

Oh how nice, now we have professional students that know more about these things then some of the top names in the profession!

Freddie: I know you are in Canada, not the US, but our government now pays for home monitoring for all medicaid patients. I would ask the Dr. how that huge group of patients could possibly be living in "deadly peril" by an inaccurate measuring mechanism. Does he/she really beieve they are aware of dangers that have escaped the doctors of all of these people?

Latest posts

Back