Decision to Electively do the surgery now.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lyn and Adrienne, I think "we" determined that those big measurements were NOT of Hockey Heart's AR, but something else.

HH, the only things that would give me pause in following your plan for prompt surgery are (1) Catdog's concerns, that this is a tough surgery-and-rehab to slot into a schedule, as things often take longer than we'd hoped or planned, and (2) If you're still active and asymptomatic (and young), you may find that the recovery is a real mental challenge.

Basically, the people who go into this surgery with angina or shortness of breath, etc., are generally pleasantly surprised by how soon they feel better after the surgery. Me, I just barely had some minor SOB about a month or so before my surgery, and I would have bicycled to the operation if I could figure out how to get the bike home!

I've had a relatively quick and smooth post-op recovery, but 3+ months later, I'm still not as fit as I was an hour before the operation. That hasn't been a big deal to me, and may not be a big deal to you, either. But I've seen a number of the younger men here suffering, with frustration, depression, or both, post-OHS. You may well escape, and having a new baby may give you all the reasons you need to escape, but I think it's worth a thought or two in advance. Also, knowing that you volunteered for the surgery a couple of years before the experts said you'd need it may make every little pain hurt more. Nobody here knows you as well as you do, but you should apply all of that knowledge to your decision. It may be a "valve job", but it's not your car that's getting worked on. . .

Thanks NormoftheNorth! Excellent points! My family and I have thought long and hard over many of the things you mentioned. Regarding, the recovery and not feeling as good as I do now for the rest of my life, that is something that I have already mentally accepted. I played Hockey my entire life, including 4 years professionally. I was still actively playing once a week in a Men's League in September when I learned of my worsening BAV. The Cardio's orders at that time were to stop playing hockey. That was and is really hard to deal with for me. However, I have accepted it. My family is and always will be more important to me. I want to/need to be there when we have a baby to be able to help my wife. Seeing her happy is my greatest joy in life and seeing her unhappy or struggling with something is my greatest pain. Being there to help with the baby is the number one thing I can do to make our lives better and happier. As for struggling with not being as physically strong as I was before the surgery, I believe I will handle that just fine. My goal is to one day be able to play hockey again. Until I get the procedure done, that goal is not possible. So, in that sense, I am actually looking forward to the procedure. Teppo Numminen was a very good NHL Hockey Player who had his BAV replaced at age 37 and actually returned to play a full season in the NHL! If you search for him on You Tube you will find a very inspirational video about his surgery and his return to the NHL. For me and my unique situation, having the surgery done before the baby comes in September is priority number one. Yes, schedules can change and complications can arise to mess up schedules but that is a gamble we are willing to take. No time will be a good time for us to have it done, but for us there is a huge difference in having it done before the baby and having it done after.

Thanks again for the great feedback!

Thanks NormoftheNorth! Excellent points! My family and I have thought long and hard over many of the things you mentioned. Regarding, the recovery and not feeling as good as I do now for the rest of my life, that is something that I have already mentally accepted. I played Hockey my entire life, including 4 years professionally. I was still actively playing once a week in a Men's League in September when I learned of my worsening BAV. The Cardio's orders at that time were to stop playing hockey. That was and is really hard to deal with for me. However, I have accepted it. My family is and always will be more important to me. I want to/need to be there when we have a baby to be able to help my wife. Seeing her happy is my greatest joy in life and seeing her unhappy or struggling with something is my greatest pain. Being there to help with the baby is the number one thing I can do to make our lives better and happier. As for struggling with not being as physically strong as I was before the surgery, I believe I will handle that just fine. My goal is to one day be able to play hockey again. Until I get the procedure done, that goal is not possible. So, in that sense, I am actually looking forward to the procedure. Teppo Numminen was a very good NHL Hockey Player who had his BAV replaced at age 37 and actually returned to play a full season in the NHL! If you search for him on You Tube you will find a very inspirational video about his surgery and his return to the NHL. For me and my unique situation, having the surgery done before the baby comes in September is priority number one. Yes, schedules can change and complications can arise to mess up schedules but that is a gamble we are willing to take. No time will be a good time for us to have it done, but for us there is a huge difference in having it done before the baby and having it done after.

Thanks again for the great feedback!

hi there :) i am up in libertyville, not far from you! i had my surgery done at northwestern 10 months ago. at the time i had a 5 month old, and an 18 month old.

recovery would have gone much smoother if i didn't have any children. however, they didn't hinder my recovery at all. it was just the fact that i am a stay at home mom so my husband went back to work one week after surgery so from there on out i had my mother in law over. you can not lift your babies for at least 6 weeks so it makes things very difficult. if i were you, i would opt for surgery before the baby is born.

i had mine in may of last year, and it was perfect timing. the weather was nice so i could get outside daily to do my walks and i didn't feel stuck inside the house.

Hi Malibu,

I'm deciding between Pat McCarthy (Northwestern) and John Alexander (Evanston). Leaning towards McCarthy based upon everything we have read and heard but we will decide after a face-to-face. How was you experience at Northwestern?

I would get it down early and just move on with your life. I am 19 and I was forced with a similar situation in regaurd to repairing my mitral valve. I chose to get it done asap. The surgery and recovery really sucks at times, but the wait is the worst part. If I did it so can you.

northwestern was great and i will still go back there for any second surgeries in the future! i was going to use mccarthy, but since i had the aneurysm, the hospital paired me with dr malaisrie saying that is his specialty. i was nervous about that, but after researching i realized mccarthy wouldn't hire anyone that couldn't perform as well as him. i asked many doctors before surgery what they thought about this decision. they said if it was my mitral valve to for sure use mccarthy but since its my aortic with an aneurysm that malaisrie is great. i also wanted to use a surgeon that would still be there for any re do surgeries that will be necessary and malaisrie is young enough that i know this will be the case. he will know his work and what to expect once he gets back in there!

any more questions just ask, i'm here to help

I'd gone on and get it over with. I have a BAV and a root of 5 by 4.6, doctors said get it done within a month or two. My surgery is set for 5 Apri 2011 at Bethesda Naval Hospital, Bethesda, MD. I'm excited about getting it over with and getting on with my life, but my main concern not walking up!

I did not have time to read all the posts, but saw some good ones.

I did not see this mentioned: Get a 2nd opinion now. That opinion may even answer the question for you. My original Cardio kept saying I did not need surgery, even after. He was wrong. Every 2nd opinion I got, said now and the sooner the better.

Scott

Thanks Rosebud! April 5th sounds like a great day to have a successful surgery!

At Scott - I am getting a 2nd opinion from a cardiologist on March 30th.

At Malibu - Who was your cardiologist that was assigned to you during your inpatient stay? Did you like him/her? Mine is Dr. Bonow. His credentials seem amazing. He was the president of the American Heart Association for a few years! Who is your regular cardiologist? I have Jay Alexander of North shore Cardiologists. Love him! He is also the cardiologist for Mike Ditka and Dale Tallon (former blackhawks gm) so that's pretty cool for a sports geek like me.

Also, I got my actual numbers from my cardiologist that I was confused about before. My Left Ventricle is measuring 6.4. It was 4.6 in 2007. Surgery is needed at 7.0.

small world!

my regular/local cardio is dr shortal at north shore cardiologists! they are a great practice. dr. alexander came and saw me in the hospital when i was first diagnosed with this heart condition and i have also seen dr wicks when i have gone to the ER thinking i was dying of the aneurysm bursting before i had surgery. turns out it never was bursting.

at northwestern they assigned me with dr. kansal. she is great...i like her a lot. she is younger probably around 35 so she relates to me and understands all of the stress and worry this whole situation has caused! after surgery i was great for a few months, then whenever i would feel something "off" i would rush to the doctor or be calling them demanding answers!

Latest posts

Back