Deciding on a location for surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T-Money

Hi Folks. I've been told that I have to have aortic valve replacement surgery in the next few months. Because I have some time I have been trying to decide on where exactly to have the surgery done. I live in Mississippi and would be curious to hear what others in the Mississippi/Alabama area might suggest. Any thoughts?

If I lived in Mississippi I would probably want to put my "Money" :D on UAB Hospital in Birmingham, AL. UAB is ranked #13 in the nation for Heart Surgery.

'AL Capshaw' (AVR at UAB Hospital)

I just noticed your line about being "very scared" after being told that you need Aortic Valve Replacement Surgery. :eek:

CONGRATULATIONS! That means your reaction is PERFECTLY NORMAL and you fit right in with the MAJORITY of patients who receive such alarming news. :)

Please look around in the Pre-Surgery and Post-Surgery Forums and you will find LOTS of company who have 'been there, done that' and KNOW exactly what you are feeling. After seeing that you are not alone in your reaction, hopefully you will also see how we all came to accept our fate and face the inevitible with HOPE and CONFIDENCE that we will come out of surgery with an improved quality of life and expectation of many more years to enjoy.

First, you need to know that first time heart surgeries in patients under age 60 have a success rate of 99% when performed by a surgeon who does these types of surgery on a regular basis.

Second, you need to know that PAIN is well controlled and most of us report only varying degrees of 'discomfort'. I confess to some pretty intense Back Muscle Pain from having my muscles stretched way beyond their normal range of motion. This would come on suddenly and I found that MASSAGE, either by hand or from a vibrating disk massager, was FASTER and MORE EFFECTIVE at providing relief than pain medications.

You will find LOTS of recommendations for Pre-surgery and post-surgery in the forums so look around and feel free to ask any questions that come to mind.

Welcome Aboard!

'AL Capshaw'

Mornin T-Money (that mean you are an IRS agent?)

Welcome to VR. Scared? Oh, yes, very normal. Shocking, too. All part of the picture. You have landed in the right place to allay those fears. By the time you get to your daTE, you will probably be assured that all is going to be fine for you. Just hang around in VR and read all that you can. Do searches, ask questions. We are a good bunch to have along with you as you journey to the mountaintop.

UAB is well known and recommended by quite a few in here. Bill (in Pensacola) had his done in Tallahassee. They have now installed a medical school at the University but I haven't heard much about it. Others will come in to tell you about UAB. It's a teaching hospital and those are usually the best way to go.

Thanks

Thanks

Folks,
Thanks for the input. This website is a real blessing. Thanks for taking some time to help me out.

Latest posts

Back