Dayquil and Coumadin?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natanni

I always thought that Amoxicillin was contraindicated with coumadin use, but when I checked in reference mannual there was nothing listed. I also thought Sudafed was prefered over things like Dayquil, does anyone have first hand experience? Hubby has one heck of plugged ear and 48 hours of amox isn't doing a thing. Was hoping to find something that worked for others that won't mess with the INR much.

Natanni:

Amoxi is one of the antibiotics many of us take before dentals and other procedures. You need to take amoxi (or any antibiotic) longer than just 48 hours to notice appreciable results.
Sudafed is one drug I don't keep on hand. It's a decongestant and decongestants can cause cardiac reactions.
I would contact my doctor.

BTW, there's a fairly new veterinary injectible antibiotic called Convenia. One injection lasts about 2-3 weeks. It's cefovecin sodium, a cephalasporin, and is amazing. I had been hearing about it for months, then one of my cats got an oral infection. This can be given subcutaneously.
Surely there's something like this in human medicine. A shot is quicker-acting and when you've got a stopped-up ear, you need help PDQ. Then your husband can work on preventing a recurrence of the mechanisms that created the plugged ear.

Good luck. I've had those ear problems and they're not fun.

You can try some musinex to help with the ear congestion. I'm not allowed sudafed because of my bp and arrythymia issues.

Marsha, Duffy got some of that injectible antibiotic last month when he blew out his anal sac (for the 3rd time, poor cat).

Boy, does that beat struggling to pill a cat! That old "how to pill a cat" joke is more true than not.

Interesting re Amoxi and heart patients.

For years had been taking Amoxi for dental work and then 2008 study says not required so dicontinued in 2009.

Hear head surgeon speaking to another patient at discharge the other day concerning ...

his comment was "Amox downside is way less than any possible bacterial infection with a heart condition"...his recommendation is use the mild antibiotics, he would in our condition

his further comment is avoid infections as much as possible, from hereon...sounds like he knows something from decades of experience

Gil

There has never been any valid proof, but why risk another valve replacement or possible loss of life over it?

He could take Dayquil, but in all honesty, I don't think it's going to do a thing for his ear. Sudafed may be more appropriate so long as he doesn't have afib.

Latest posts

Back