Day 9 (3.01 am)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil

Have been home 2 days. Pain very manageable, in fact, I can easily sleep on both the right and left side. The click (more thud) of my new valve is not too bad. I thought it would be significantly louder and more of a pain to integrate into my life. Emotionally I feel much stronger. I couldn't believe how much I cried this time around (especially day 3 and 4) - I don't think enough is made of what the heart represents to us and is at the core of our being - examples include ... the heart of the matter, the sacred heart of Jesus, Cupid. (I need to think about this point more - not very well expressed). My appetitive has returned and I have shed the 9 kilos I gained post surgery. Finally, I think too much is made of Echo reports. It seemed there was very little relationship to what my Echo showed and the true state of my valve once the surgeon got inside. My only real issue is my inability to stay asleep despite taking a sleeping pill each night. I seem to wake up between 2 am and 3 am each morning and very much need a sold afternoon nap each day. So all in all things are going pretty nicely. I have my first INR test today - hopefully, my warfarin is staying within range.

Cheers.

Phil.

"I couldn't believe how much I cried this time around (especially day 3 and 4) - I don't think enough is made of what the heart represents to us and is at the core of our being - examples include ... the heart of the matter, the sacred heart of Jesus, Cupid. (I need to think about this point more - not very well expressed)."

I know what you mean, but you are as human as you ever were. More so most, likely, due to a destined date with humility, something many humans lose touch with.

The heart is just a muscle. One day it will be as replaceable as a pair of eyeglasses are today.

Glad to hear you are doing well.

Sounds like you are home and doing good Phil. I to, have had the same waking up problem until last night (day 13) of recovery I slept 5 whole hours then had to wake up for a bathroom break but back to sleep for 3 more. Makes a huge difference in your daytime activities if you can sleep. Haven't taken many naps. I will keep watch on your recovery. Keep movin. Kim

The sleep will get better. I too was wide awake in the middle of the nights right after getting home from surgery. I want to say it improved around day 10 post op. Hang in there.

I had the middle of the night awakenings, lasting hours, for a few weeks after getting home. I had to train myself not to worry about it. As long as I hadn't gone back to work yet, I could take afternoon naps to make up for the lost sleep. When I awoke during the night I would just go out into the kitchen and read, surf the web and have a snack. When I thought I could sleep, I would go back to bed. If I really wanted to sleep but couldn't, I would take a benadryl tablet. Benadryl is an over-the-counter antihistimine that is often used off-label as a sleep aid. It is non-addicting and leaves the body quickly, so it doesn't leave the patient groggy upon waking.

Back