day 12 post op soreness

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terrylmc

hello

this is my first post here but i have read a lot of things i wanted to know already.
i think its wonderful that this site is available.I would like to give a little info on myself to begin with. I'm a male ,59 years,bicuspid aortic valve,replaced august 8th with the on-x.
everything went swell for me through it all.Probably could have came home after three days but the coumadin was still low....so i was there 5.
I never had any real swelling around my ankles during the hospital stay,and no severe pain.
the pain i would have was more aggravation than severe or excruciating.I only took the pain meds when i really needed them to sleep or the pain was elevated.
Anyway like i said this is day 12 and i woke up this morning so stiff and sore that i could barely get up and move around.Couldn't straighten up for a few minutes.
ive taken the pain med all day and i feel fine now.
Also i have some swelling around my ankles been keeping them elevated.I have worn my ted hose everyday even though i had no swelling prior to this.
I have been walking everyday....slowly increasing from 1/2 mile to 3 miles now.Something i havent been able to do for several years because of the short ness of breath associated with the bav and stenosis.
Is it normal for the pain to get worse as u heal? Did any of you have swelling this long after surgery when you had none before?

Thanks in advance.
Terry

I think that when it comes to pain, we are all different. Mine was not much of an issue once I was past about 2 weeks. Swelling, on the other hand, was a problem for me until 5 or 6 weeks. Of course, I had some complications (also had bypass and a pacemaker) so my case is not directly comparable to yours. At about 4 weeks we began to wean me off the lasix, and by week 6 I stopped it (IIRC).

I didn't have much swelling in the hospital, but after I got home I started accumulating fluid at about a pound a day for several days. I did my exercise and kept my feet up when at rest, and the swelling gradually subsided and was completely gone after 4 weeks without Lasix or other meds. I still don't have much appetite, but I'm continuing to lose weight (which is a very good thing for me) - I'm now about 4 pounds below my pre-surgery weight, and I hope to lose at least another 25. This should help me get off more meds (I hope).

I'm 15 days post-op. I haven't had any swelling, but the pain, while steadily diminishing overall, does spike up once in a while, especially after I get a bit adventurous with my arms and back. Perhaps you overdid it the day before you woke up with the increased pain?

Terrylmc,

In my experience, the pain did subside after several weeks. However, it still hurt sometimes. About 4 weeks after surgery, I was fairly pain-free until the day I sneezed. When that happened, I said something I shouldn't have said and my 11-year old daughter said "Daddy, I hope you don't sneeze in church and say that". Does it hurt when you laugh? Sorry.

Terry,

I'm on my 17th POD and am experiencing similar pain as you describe, though I would characterize it as more of an evolution of pain symptoms in various places. My sternum is sore and and an everpresent discomfort, though certainly bearable and a bit itchy now and then. Last week I experienced an excruciatingly sharp tearing sensation under my left pectoral muscle that has mostly faded. I think that was from over exertion though I don't think I exceeded any lifting restrictions, I think I just strained too hard while moving around. I had some interesting leg pain below my femoral artery incision (about 3 inches long) used for the CPB machine, but walking and keeping the TED hose in place appears to have eliminated that. I am going to go through the day without any additional pain meds other than Tylonol today, mostly because I used my last Percocet last night and I want to evaluate where I am without any additional meds.

- Jack

Terry,

I'm on my 17th POD and am experiencing similar pain as you describe, though I would characterize it as more of an evolution of pain symptoms in various places. My sternum is sore and and an everpresent discomfort, though certainly bearable and a bit itchy now and then. Last week I experienced an excruciatingly sharp tearing sensation under my left pectoral muscle that has mostly faded. I think that was from over exertion though I don't think I exceeded any lifting restrictions, I think I just strained too hard while moving around. I had some interesting leg pain below my femoral artery incision (about 3 inches long) used for the CPB machine, but walking and keeping the TED hose in place appears to have eliminated that. I am going to go through the day without any additional pain meds other than Tylonol today, mostly because I used my last Percocet last night and I want to evaluate where I am without any additional meds.

- Jack
Hey - we got the same valve (but mine is 23mm)!

oh my the sneezing!

oh my the sneezing!

oh my the sneezing!
that may be the most excruciating pain of all!
I have had several bouts of sneezing and its worse than any of the rest.....brings tears to my eyes every time!

I'm 1 month post surgery and sneezes still hurt (just a little, but they do bring back memories)

I am 2 weeks post AVR. My pain evolves too. Each day is a new pain. i have had different areas of my back, chest and abdomen begin to hurt. Last night I had new stabbing feeling in my upper chest when I inhale. I usually wake up at about 3am because of pain. I have to get up and stretch before i try to sleep again.

I think that when it comes to pain, we are all different. Mine was not much of an issue once I was past about 2 weeks. Swelling, on the other hand, was a problem for me until 5 or 6 weeks. Of course, I had some complications (also had bypass and a pacemaker) so my case is not directly comparable to yours. At about 4 weeks we began to wean me off the lasix, and by week 6 I stopped it (IIRC).

Terry,

Basically this. Ep hits the nail right on the head when he said we're all different. Mine was quite the opposite of his, swelling was an issue for about 2 weeks, but pain was an issue for nearly 2 months. You're going to have good days, and you're going to have bad days. It's not going to be fun. But it will improve and you'll notice it over time. The sneezing was a pretty big issue for nearly 3 months, talk about dreadful. Mind you I'm not saying this to scare you, I'm just sharing my experience and trying to help as best I can. Some days you'll feel great, other days you'll feel like you went 10 rounds with the incredible hulk.

I wish you a speedy recovery and hope you bounce back soon =]

and welcome to the community, the people here are great people.

Latest posts

Back