Daughter inherited my Bicuspid Valve

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TitanEddie

So two weeks after my surgery I find out one of my daughters has been lucky enough to inherit my bicuspid valve. Was really hoping my kids wouldn't have to go through this.

Hey Eddie

well the knowledge of that (back in the early 80's) was what drove me towards my biochem. It's also part of what kept me cautious about having children. Look where that got me now? You have your children, so celebrate that.

Celebrate also that medicine only gets better all the time so when they age and require surgery it will only be better than what we have seen.

Celebrate also that it is my view that what has led me to be a strong and focused individual *was* my valve and going through what I went through. My cousins (who didn't have BAV) are more self destructive in their "enjoyment" of life and now in their 50's are suffering other ails while I seem to be the fittest and strongest. Weird huh

Cross each bridge as it appears and all will be good

Best Wishes

Sorry to hear that, it's enough just concentrating on the recovery process. I had my son , 8 yrs old , before I knew about my valve .As others have said the medical advances keep coming so when/IF she needs surgery who knows how advanced it'll be by then.

On the other hand, one who knows they are BAV will usually stay monitored for things that may otherwise go undetected and be the cause of death. A coworker recently almost found out too late that he had a 13.5 cm abdominal area aorta anneurysm. Now if he had of been previously diagnosed with something like BAV it most likely would never get that large without detection.

From that perspective, there is some benefit from being diagnosed BAV.

Better to know than not. Also, remember that only about 25% (IIRC) of the BAV patients ever need replacement surgery. Having a bicuspid valve is not a death sentence. Ignoring it if it needs replacement is. Most of us who know/knew we had BAV were much more careful about monitoring our condition, and are probably in better health because we did so.

I've been after my daughter to have an echo but she's "been too busy." Now she has a son, and who knows?

Better to know than not. Also, remember that only about 25% (IIRC) of the BAV patients ever need replacement surgery. Having a bicuspid valve is not a death sentence. Ignoring it if it needs replacement is. Most of us who know/knew we had BAV were much more careful about monitoring our condition, and are probably in better health because we did so.

I've been after my daughter to have an echo but she's "been too busy." Now she has a son, and who knows?

I'm sorry to hear that. When I found out about my BAV the doctors tested all my family, luckily nobody else. My 5 year old son is fine, and I will have to check the 3 year and 3 month old later. Always very stressful!

I agree with what others said about knowing and monitoring. No heart disease in my family until my diagnosis. I immediately alerted my children and my brothers, nieces, and nephew so they would be aware and not let a doctor phoo-phoo a heart murmur like mine did. I am anxious about what is to come of course yet feel blessed it was discovered when I requested testing for my shortness of breath. Nevertheless, I know it hard to learn of your daughter's condition and wish you and your family peace of mind as you come to grips with it.

Latest posts

Back