Darnit, crummy doc visit

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Pacemakers and MRIs.

Had to constantly remind docs that Joe had a pacemaker. They want to do MRIs as a first diagnosing tool. His pacemaker was easily visible, but no matter, some people were just not aware enough to know about MRIs and pacemakers.

I would have to say, unfortunately, that it was the rare doc who didn't miss this important item.

I agree that you're still quite new out of surgery to ascribe too much to your heart's intemperance. Blood pressure changes, heart rate rollercoasters, and occasional misfires should all be expected during the first few months of recovery. You're only a month out of surgery.

Unless they (or you) are really convinced that the heart block is a strong likelihood, I would consider pushing back for a bit. Sometimes I think damage is done much more often to people in the name of "just to be sure" than good is ever served. If it were me, I'd be concerned about doing too much in the way of permanent fixes before my heart had a chance to find itself again.

It's a tough decision for you: the FUD card is showing in their hand.

Best wishes,

My heart rate was always 84-90 before surgery, but it was over 100 for at least the first 6 weeks after surgery. My doctors said it was normal as the heart is recovering. It doesn't want to work so hard so it takes smaller, faster steps. I really don't know when it slowed down because I got used to the ticking and stopped listening! I would definitely give it a little while more to recover before doing anything else. The more they do to you, the more you have to recover from, making the heart compensate even more.

This may be a stupid question, and I assume it's too late for you, Lynn, as it's already out, but I had a pacer wire in when I came out of surgery, "just in case". It was taken out while I was in the hospital, but I don't remember when. Can they leave it in after you come home for the "just in case" moments (temporarily of course)? Seems this would be easier than implanting a Pacemaker, although from what I understand, it's not a really difficult procedure.

A kind of funny story - in my late night walks around the hospital, I discovered the guy whose job it was to monitor the heart activity of all of those who were in the hospital. The poor guy had to sit in a room for his entire shift, staring at monitors, and alerting the nurses for anything out of the ordinary. I was talking to him and watching the monitors, and couldn't help but notice a really annoying alarm. I asked him what it was, and he said it was me! It signalled a heart beat that was in tachycardia - over 100. He said that my monitor alarmed more than any of the others, not only because of the rapid heart rate, but also because whenever I temporarily disconnected it to take a shower, change clothes, or switch from the in-room monitor to the battery powered monitor for my frequent walks, it made another annoying sound. Apparently most of my heart neighbors were not very active.

Well, things are a little better today and get a bit better every day :)

Hubby and I were just talking about the pacer this afternoon, he just doesn't like cardio's and doesn't trust them. It is a tough decision, I'm on 4.5 weeks out of surgery and on the Toprol the HR stays around 100-103 resting. I kind of had a scare this afternoon when I took it and it was 74, I waited a few minutes and took it again and it was 65....that freaked me out because I think my lowest since I've been on the meds was 95. I checked about 2 hours later and it was 100 again. I know 74 and 65 are good but the drop scared me!!

Anyway, as for pacing wires....I still have one in there cause it wouldn't come out! :( After 10 days in, it didn't want to budge!

My temp has been normal all day today, yay! And, it has been for a few days but I was on Ibuprofen 800's to sort of help with swelling, but I haven't taken any today. Still waiting for blood tests and stool tests :eek: to see if there IS an infection somewhere....but now we're in the long weekend. So, I guess I'll find out Tuesday.

It just seems like one thing after another...I'm hoping I'm finally getting settled down!

Lynn - I'm glad you asked Tobagotwo because I was wondering too. Also, is the pacer wire that was left in you a danger to consider for any future MRI's? Could it be the cause of the trouble with your rapid beats?

When Lisa was relating her tachycardia story, it reminded me of my Dad's last heart-related hospital stay when he got a pacemaker. He kept going into V-tach and the nurses would come flying down the hallway, wild eyed -- literally! It kept surprising us when they would burst into the room because he couldn't feel it and didn't know when his heart would go into it, which was very frequently. That was right after he had [temporarily died] on the treadmill during a stress test and they used the electric paddles to get his heart started again. He was more afraid of those paddles and the burning and pain they had caused him than anything else and he had the nurses make notes and stick them all over his room that nobody was to use the paddles on him again unless he was unconscious.

Susan....I never thought about that wire and MRI's. I'm glad you mentioned it, I'll have check on that.

Sorry - It wasn't meant to be mysterious.

It frequently seems that when someone has a difficult decision to make, there is someome with an agenda who pushes them toward it by playing on their natural concerns - using phrases like "we like to do this" (as if it were a concensus among some unseen multitude of experts), or "let's go ahead and do this, just to be sure," (when there really isn't enough logic or fact to support needing to be "sure" of anything at all).

FUD stands for the three leverage points played on by most people who want to control other people: Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt. It's often referred to as "the FUD Factor." Unscrupulous insurance salesmen (sometimes dubbed "fear merchants") offer an example of how elements of the FUD Factor can be used to one's advantage.

If you can convince someone to yield to one of these three, non-logic-driven motivators, you can control their actions through its power, even when your reasons and arguments are faulty or weak. When this type of persuasion is used by a medical professional, it has a devastating effect. Even if the patient isn't moved by it, the spouse or parent often caves to this extension of their own concern for the patient and works with the doctor to wear down the patient's resistance. The result is to make it appear that the patient's reluctance is foolish or self-destructive. This evolves because the perpetrator establishes a united front by creating a supposed common enemy, which is in actuality a vaporous element of fear, uncertainty, or doubt.

It's sometimes difficult to balance knowledge, intellect, instinct, concern from your loved ones, personal advice, and expert advice to make a decision. However, as these decisions affect the rest of ours lives, we do all owe it to ourselves to try our best to accomplish it, for our own sakes.

This is only an explanation of FUD, by the way, and doesn't necessarily bear on the decision you need to make for yourself. I am sensitive to (okay, I resent) cheap manipulations of this sort, and talking about them does get me up on my soap box.

Best wishes,

lynn said:
Susan....I never thought about that wire and MRI's. I'm glad you mentioned it, I'll have check on that.

Justin has old pacer wires and we were told he is fine for a MRI, actually he is having a cardiac one next week and i double asked his card, Lyn

Lynn,
I am so sorry to hear about everything. I wish you didn't have to go through this! It seems as if your body has taken a beating. Stay strong. I am sending good thoughts your way!

Nancy said:
They want to do MRIs as a first diagnosing tool.

*nods*

They sure do! With my knee the way it is, my PCP and then my orthopedic doc wanted to do an MRI ... I had to tell 'em both no :(.

Lynn ... glad to know things are a bit better for you!

Cort:33swm."Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker
PICS:lego.HO.model.MCinfo.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Suspicions lead to questions" ... Ronnie Milsap ... 'Stranger In My House'

Lynn, what are you using to guage your heartrate? I had purchased a BP machine/heartrate monitor prior to surgery. It's a great little machine. Post surgery (?? 4-7 weeks?) I noticed that my heartrate dropped to 60 something. Freaked me out. I was told that it was because of the arythmmias I was experiencing and that the cuff (not attached to an actual nurse of any kind :rolleyes: ) could not discern the difference, or pause between heartbeats accurately and was sending the message of a lowered heartrate when in fact it was not lower. Hope I'm making sense. Anyway, could anything like a misread be occuring for you since you are still having "settling down" issues with your heart?

Please consider getting an event monitor from your doctor before they install the pacemaker. It will accurately track any abnormalities (as long as you can sense them and "report" them).

Wishing you well.

Marguerite

Yes, I did purchase a bp monitor...you make a good point there! Now I don't know what to do! LOL!

That is a good point, Marguerite! I had forgotten, Lynn, that when I was in A-fib post-op, my husband tried to check my pulse with our home bp monitor and it only picked up about a third or so of the heartbeats that the EKG picked up.

I did have the MAZE done while they did the valve....because a 24 hour monitor showed *an* episode of a-fib last fall. I know I have alot of pounding when I lay down and sometimes just sitting.

Blech.....it's all greek, I'm calling them on Tuesday to get a monitor!

I have read that 30% of patients having valve surgery have A-Fib (temporarilly) the first month to 6 weeks after their operation. So, I would certainly wait a while before you get a pacemaker because from what I see, it's been a month since you had your operation.

Latest posts

Back