Darnit, crummy doc visit

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

lynn

Well, now they are talking pacemaker again...dammit! The *electricians* at Shands think as an insurance that I should have one in case I go into partial heartblock again! They gave me some Toprol to bring down my heart rate, trying small amounts for now, it seems like such an oxymoron. Bring the heart rate down with meds, put in a pacemaker to keep heart rate up.

I need to get rid of this tiny temp (always about 99.3-99.6) I've had since surgery and be temp free for 2 weeks before they'll go back in. They took me off the antibiotics thinking I may have a drug temp? There were 3 of them there nodding their heads so I guess they know what they're talking about...I hope!

I'm kind of freaking about taking the Toprol as my bp has been running in the 90's/60's and I guess it brings down the bp also, but heart rate at resting is 110ish and walking is 122ish.

Crap! Wrong place, meant to put it in post surgery....told you I was frazzled!:eek:

So sorry to hear your woes, Lynn and I know how frazzled you must be. Wish I could offer more than just best wishes and the insight that lots of people here and others too seem to live easily with a pacemaker. I'm sure you will be hearing from them soon. Hope they come up with the right answer to all of this!

Don't worry about where you put it as long as we can find it. Take care.

Lynn, that would frazzle me too.......at least I think it would.:) I get frazzled when I'm not forgetful. I'm just thinking that your heart rate might come down some when your temp comes down. I think that each degree of elevated temperture raises the heart rate by about 7 percent. It sometimes takes a long time for a heartrate to settle down after open heart anyway. I know a pacemaker isn't supposed to be that big of deal anymore but when it is you and your body it is going into it becomes a bit more personal. But on the other hand, if you need it you might be real glad you have it.

My husband just saw your picture and asked how old you are and I told him I really didn't know. I just know you've gone through an awful lot for how long you've been around. The posts of the last few weeks have really revealed what battles some of our members are fighting. Have you ever read the book "Pilgrim's Progress"? It is one of my favorite books and I'm just finishing reading it again. Christian goes through such trials but the whole book is so full of hope and encouragement that it just uplifts me. Maybe you could use the lift too....cyber hugs to you.

Lynn, so sorry that this heart rate thing keeps everyone guessing still. I hope whatever they decide on brings you relief and lets you move on feeling normal.

best wishes

Lynn - so sorry to hear that there is ongoing issues with your heart rate - no wonder you are feeling frazzled! Will keep you in my prayers that the docs may be able to work out the best solution that will be right for you. - Jeanne

Hi Lynn, Sure hopt that they can get your heart rate settled down without too much additional Toprol.

But just a fyi....I also have a pacemaker because medication to control my a-fib was putting me into bradycardia, so in went the pacemaker. It really has not been a problem except for when one medical student wanted me to have an MRI and said I should just be able to cover the pacemaker with something (!!!! :eek: ) in order to have it. Fortunately her supervisors informed her of the error of her ways.

Hope you feel better soon.

If you want to get your temperature down...

If you want to get your temperature down...

If you want to get your temperature down, then go and guzzle down a bunch of ice water before they take your temperature. That should get you out of the hospital. I'm not recommending this--I'm just pointing out.

Lyn n: like the others, wish i could offer more than just kind thoughts and prayers, but i'm not a doctor. today my pulse was 103 for awhile, and a doc said that's okay. good luck and hope things work out for you better soon.:cool:

Lynn,

Have you thought about seeing a electrophysioligist? They specialize in heart conduction, i.e. electrial system of the heart.

What you mentioned was slightly concering "in case you have partial heart block". Have you had complete or partial heart block with symptoms? Personally....I would not be too fast to jump on the "pacemaker" band wagon unless you are certain that is the only fix. They can temp pace you in the hospital to see if you go back in to a regular sinus. Not that a pacer is a "bad thing" I have known of MD's that have put them in "just in case scenario" And most patients will agree if they are told their heart "could potentially stop"! Drs. are in the biz to help us out, save lives and also make money!

Hope you feel better...get the temp down. Good luck...and take care!

Lynn, I had intermittent complete heart block a couple of weeks after my surgery and the immediate thoughts were to put in a pacemaker, but then they waited and within a few days it had passed - that was in July 2005 and it has never returned. You are not long over your surgery so is there not a chance that yours might also right itself? I don't know what Toprol is, but I was on digoxin and it was that that caused my heartblock, once it was out of my system I was fine - I just won't be taking it again!

Betty.....you can tell your hubby that I'm 47, and, yes....I'd like a little break :eek: Ha!

Gina, I had partial heart block when I got out of surgery for about 5 days, it turned around but they just want the pacer in as insurance in case it flips again.

Lynn, I just wanted to let you know that I'm sorry you're having to go through this. I understand about the Toprol. I was on it for quite a while. I also have a defibrillator/pacemaker. I started out with just a pacer and then had to go to the defibrillator because of ventricular tachycardia which is another story. Just wanted you to know that the pacer is really no big deal. They can be checked over the phone, and you really don't even know it's there. I am 99% pacemaker dependent. Complete heart block. Even if you're not totally dependent on it, it comes in handy if your rate drops. You don't want to faint at the wrong time, right?:eek: Anyway, keep us informed about how things go and what is decided. LINDA

lynn said:
I'm kind of freaking about taking the Toprol as my bp has been running in the 90's/60's and I guess it brings down the bp also, but heart rate at resting is 110ish and walking is 122ish.

I can understand your feelings about this, but I'm taking Toprol ... and don't really feel many affects. I suspect I am a bit more tired/slower than usual, but it hasn't stopped me really (if that makes any sense).

Thoughts/prayers coming your way....

Cort:33swm."Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker
PICS:lego.HO.model.MCinfo.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Waiting to be mended like a potter would mend a broken vase" ... Larry Gatlin & The Gatlin Brothers ... 'Broken Lady'

I have been on Toprol for some time, I was on it before surgery and switched to it from sotolol about 3 months aog, I take 50 mg a day. So far between it and my enalapril the biggest side effect is my feet and hands get cold. Now I am one of these people whos feet are never cold, but with these medications they do. I read the product info adn yup , there it is, a side effect. lol

My heart rate has been a slight problem since surgery, mwhen I went off sotolol AND toprol for a few days heart rate shot up to 100-106. Now with Toprol I am running from high 60's to low 80s. BP probably averages around 115/67

Well, that makes me feel better! They only started me on 12.5 mg and it has dropped my heart rate to around 100ish, so that's good!

Thanx everyone!:)

Lynn,
Sorry to hear you are had a crummy time at the doctor. I hope this will help..... I too am on toprol and have a pacemaker. I had AVR on May 9th of this year. Prior to my surgery my blood pressure was in the low 80's. So far the pacemaker and toprol has done the trick for me. Blood pressure is higher, heart rate is lower. We will be praying for good results for you!

Hi Lynn -

How are things going for you now; are you feeling better? I was on Toprol (I'm pretty sure it was) for a few months pre-op and post-op and wasn't aware of any problems while I was on it.

I read what Nan wrote: Do watch for imbeciles like she ran into and make sure all of your family knows not to allow that to happen either, should you ever be unconscious or anything. My mother lives near a midwest town where some poor old farmer went into some MRI machine with his pacemaker a few years ago and died.

Back