Dangit!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason

Always Assume Positive Intent
After levelling out at 2.5 for my INR for 5 weeks in a row (3 checks) my last check was 2.3. The clinic left me on the same dose even though my number had dropped a bit and my target was 2.5-3.5. There is fluctuation in the numbers, and I should come back in two weeks and recheck. The recheck was this morning and I was down to 2.0, so I assume they are going to kick me up in dose and have me come in for a recheck sooner than two weeks. Not really a big deal, but I was hoping to level out and stay steady at 2.5. 2.3 didn't bother me a whole lot, but 2.0 is getting awfully close to my un-comfort zone. Oh well, I am sure the professionals will get me back in target.

Jason:
I wouldn't worry too much. You have an AV & many times the rang is listed for AVers at 2.0-3.0. I myself would prefer my INR to be closer to 2.5--in the middle. I'm at a hotel in Portland Ore. and don't have ready access to dozing charts. But I would think an increase of at least 10-15% should be considered and a retest after 7 days. That's what I do after a dosage change...it helps having your own tester.

Jason, this is actually a good time to learn about your own dosing. You are just slightly below range and an
increase of 5-10 % of your weekly dose should bring you back up to mid-range.

I don't remember what your doses are, but for example: if you are taking 40 mg per week, then a 5%
increase is 2 mg for the week, to bring you to 42 mg.

Jason - I'm in a similar spot, just at lower numbers. My target INR is 2.0-3.0 -- just precautionary in case my post-op AFIB returns. I had been stable at right around 2.0 for weeks, then last week I dropped to 1.5. They increased my dose about 10% and called for a 10-day retest.

I think my change is due to yet another increase in physical activity levels as I get into things at rehab. I'll probably be chasing my target INR until they decide if I need warfarin permanently or not (appointment is in second week of August).

Thanks, everyone. My dose did go up just a bit (from 70mg a week to 76; I have always been on the higher side), and we will recheck in a few weeks. This has all reminded me that I haven't sent in my paperwork yet for the home testing kit, which I will do tomorrow! Steve, I am guessing that some of my decrease in INR/increase in dosage is due to physical activity, too. It has finally become summer here, so there is much more opportunity for outdoor stuff. We are currently enjoying very warm weather the last few days, although not enjoying the tornado warnings that are accompanying them!

Latest posts

Back