Danger of Fast date for smoker

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're doing great, Carole, and you know there is absolutely nothing you can do that will improve your condition for surgery and recovery. It is the most important change you CAN make. You Go Girl. We are all rooting for you!

I've been smoking for 28 years, and quit 4 months before surgery. It's going to be one year on April 12 feels soooo good. Keep it up you can do it!!!!

You can do it....but it is so very hard

You can do it....but it is so very hard

I smoked for 50 years and quit more than 25 times. Finally, "I saw the light."

I had my last smoke at 6:00 am in the parking lot of the Mayo Clinic in Arizona. I was there for surgery that was not heart related. I almost did not get the surgery that day because my breathing was so bad. The doctors gave me meds and treatments. Finally, I was cleared for surgery.

The doctors had trouble waking me up!!! That did it for me. I have been smoke free since June 21, 2005....and it has been wonderful.

Everyday I repeat my mantra several times..."I will never quit smoking again, I will never quit smoking again....I know that even one puff and I would be back in the habit. It's really hard, but I just know you will be so glad to have that behind you.

Here are some of the things that helped me: Cut straws in the size of a cigg and take big, deep breaths. Learn to love cinnamon and take it in gum, candy, sprinkled on food or drinks. (Tip from my Dentist) Also walk as much as you can and drink 8-10 glasses of water a day.

Hope this helps. I know you will succeed and that your surgery will be better for it.

Regards,
Blanche

Thanks again for all support.... I am still smoke freee!!!! Getting very nervous about surgery next week.... I know several are getting surgery this week and looking forward to hearing the great results........

The problem with the nicotine replacement stuff is that sooner or later you still have to go through the nicotine withdrawals!

Check out this site...I just recently found it & tomorrow will be my first day smoke free...HOPEFULLY!

http://www.whyquit.com

The problem with the nicotine replacement stuff is that sooner or later you still have to go through the nicotine withdrawals!

Check out this site...I just recently found it & tomorrow will be my first day smoke free...HOPEFULLY!

http://www.whyquit.com

I'll be rooting for you!!! :D I am using nothing, couldn't do the gum because of root canal I just had and i tried patches years ago, didn't work... So the zanax i think is helping some but that is for the anxiety pending surgery... Im thinking after surgery I should be done with the withdrawals!!!! PM if you find yourself wanting to light up,, I will try to help, I know what you are going through!!!! I had no clue so many on here are previous smokers and it's been a Great to help me!!!!! So many understand and are great!!! GOOD LUCK!!!!!

I'll be rooting for you!!! :D I am using nothing, couldn't do the gum because of root canal I just had and i tried patches years ago, didn't work... So the xanax i think is helping some but that is for the anxiety pending surgery... Im thinking after surgery I should be done with the withdrawals!!!! PM if you find yourself wanting to light up,, I will try to help, I know what you are going through!!!! I had no clue so many on here are previous smokers and it's been a Great to help me!!!!! So many understand and are great!!! GOOD LUCK!!!!!
Carole, times have sure changed since the last time I had surgery.I was sixteen at the time and in for hernia repair for football injury(40 years ago).I had a private room and back then you could smoke in your room.I had about a dozen friends up to see me and my room reminded me of one of the smoking rooms in an airport.I think the best way to make a person quit would be to lock them in one of the airport smoking rooms for a few days.I can't even handle being in there for over a minute or two and usually smoke dosen't bother me!!!

It is weird how times have changed...

I am a strange smoker, well now i'm a non-smoker, LOL..... I can't stand a smokey room either, I have always smoked outside and hate for someone to smoke around me while I'm eating, and hate the smell of someone after smoking, yep even myself..... Weird huh, but I do like the inhaling, even weirder, LOL!!!!!

I just found out last month of my valve issues and when I saw the surgeon on the 27th he said to stop smoking... I was smoking a little over a pack a day but had cut down to 4 or 5 cigs a day from the cardio appointment knowing in my head I needed to. The surgeon said stop now on the 27th, I'm going to be honest, I keep having 2 cigs a day and now I'm so scared it is going to mess me up for my surgery on the 18th. I've read they like you to be smoke free for 2 weeks, I've had 2 today if I don't pick anymore up do you think I'll be ok? It is so hard with finding out all the valve news and smoking being my crutch.. I guess I'm just saying Help!!!! Tell me No More Cigs!!!!! Also will I be alright for the surgery with me being a couple days shy of 2 weeks, anyone else out there been in my shoes getting all the news so quick and how long had you quit before the surgery????

Carole,this is how i was before surgery,down to 4 aday,not even.
My surgery was Jan 20th and i was in there 11 days due to cancellation
and no rooms due to being icu longer.
But after all i came home and tried a cigarette,but end result is right
now,as food and coffee,i was a 2 pot coffee drinker,at work too,but
since surgery,i,ve lost appeal for food,smokes,and coffee,i sure hope it lasts
with smoking,my doctors say either it will come back,or not the coffee and
the smokes,so far good.I wasn't big on like 2 pks aday,whatever,but i did
work the spirometer upon arrival of my 4 daily and it helped alot for me.
I sure don't think about not smoking or dwell on it,but i sure miss my
coffee's and for me this is worse than smoking right now,habit shows our
worse habit,went for dinner saturday and what did i order,coffee(WOW)
just the smell nauseates me and should of seen the waitresses face,when i
said,sorry i don't drink coffee:eek:she looked at me like why'd you order it
then:confused::p
Here's wishing you all the best with this smelly habit too.
Good luck with your upcoming surgery.:)

zipper2(DEB)

From my own experience when I quite smoking you tend to cough quite a bit for about two weeks....clearing out the tar I guess...:eek:.

I think everyone can agree with me, who had heart surgery, coughing is not a pleasent event when your trying to heal.

Remember your first sneeze? I just grabbed hold of my keyboard just thinking of it...lol.

Paul

Latest posts

Back