Cromey's two week update

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cromey

Hi all,
When I was in the waiting room I found recovery update emails useful so thought it would only fair to repay the favour and post my surgery and recovery experience to date. Hopefully it will give some in the waiting room a little insight.
Firstly I am a 39 year old who was born with a Bicuspid Aortic valve. It had never occurred to me that it would require replacing even know I know it was leaky. Therefore it was a surprise when my consultant informed me that he recommended it was about the right time to replace it. In hindsight it was obvious it would need replacing at some point but it really hadn't crossed my mind.
My initial reaction was, let’s do this and get it out of the way , I had noticed my ability to exercise had slowly decreased over the past couple of years. Due to work and family commitments I scheduled the operation for 4 months later. Waiting is definitely the worst part of this.
I selected a Mechanical valve primarily due to the likelihood of less on-going repeat surgeries. Ideally I’m hoping that I won’t require any more but am aware there are circumstances where repeat surgeries will be required. My surgeon strongly recommended the Mech valve for me over Tissue, this was primarily due to my age and my active life style.
I have two daughters, aged 9 months and 3 years. The fact that I wouldn’t be able to pick them up for 12 weeks is by far the hardest part of this surgery.
I was admitted into hospital on the 7th Feb, I had difficultly shaking off a flu which required 3 courses of antibiotics over the month prior to the operation. While I was over the flu I still had a residue cough which did concern me. Being that this was my 4th OHS I was aware how painful a cough can be during recovery. But even with this I would have been more disappointed if the surgery was postponed.
The surgeon ordered some additional tests which showed nothing to be concerned about and we proceeded. My surgery was scheduled for 8am that next morning. I had a good meal, watched a film and sleep surprisingly well.

The Day of the Surgery
Up at 6am, showered and got into my surgery gown. Spent an hour or so with my wife prior to be moved to the operating theatre. I was calm (probably because I was given a sedative), the great thing about general anaesthetic is that the next thing you are aware of is waking up in the intensive care unit.
I apparently came around very quickly (2 minutes) after the anaesthetic was stopped. I still had the breathing tube in which I didn’t enjoy and wanted it out immediately. Luckily I was still sedated so while I remember wanting it out I can’t remember it being uncomfortable. I spent the next 7 hours in intensive care dozy, talking but probably not making much sense before being moved into a high dependency ward. During my time in intensive care my pain management was excellent and I was never in too much discomfort.

Day 1 Post Op
If I could remove one day in my last two weeks it would be my time in the high dependency ward. I slept about 30 minutes that first night, time dragged and every 5 minutes felt like an hour. I was generally in discomfort and wanted to move to my ward as I found the high dependency ward depressing. I stayed there a total of 14 hours. The ward had 8 beds and I was the last patient admitted and the first to be discharged to a standard ward. As much as I disliked it my recovery was going well. I stood up, and sat in a chair for 3 hours talking to my neighbour before having all my drainage tubes and 3 of my 4 IV lines removed. This was all done quickly and wasn’t a painful experience.
Once I was moved to my own quiet room, it felt like the best 5 star hotel I’ve ever stayed in. The boredom was gone and I immediately felt relaxed. I attempted to watch TV and reply to text messages and emails before settling in and getting some much needed sleep.

Day 2 post op.
This was the day I realised my recovery was not going to be as painful as my previous op. My last OHS was a coarctation of my aorta which was preformed via a thoracotomy incision. I based my expectations on recovery time and pain on this op, however I quickly realised that a sternum incision at least for me is far far less painful compared to a thoracotomy. To say this was a relief was an understatement. Today I was up and walking, and spent as much time out of bed and seated as possible. The importance of getting mobile as quickly as possible was stressed by the Nurses and Dr’s. The Physio also saw me for the first time and would continue to each day I was in hospital.

Day 3 post op.
Day three was a turning point for me, my catheter was removed and I could get out of bed with ease. I was walking down the hall way of the hospital and found that although I was slow I could walk without too much difficulty. In the end the Nurses told me to go and rest. I covered approx. 500 meters.

Day 4 and 5 I continued to extend my walking, each day and sat more and slept better. I felt noticeable better each day. Everything was going swimmingly until my INR levels was measured and it was 5.9. I had started getting nose bleeds so I suspected it was high as I never experience these. My target rate is between 2-3. Warfarin dosage is a bit of guess work at the start and it appears that I sensitive to it so my dosage was adjusted accordingly.
I was discharged on day 4 post op on the condition that I return the following day for a blood test. I decided that it was easier to stay in hospital another night and have the blood test in the morning before being discharged. I was proud that I wasn’t offered a wheelchair on my discharge. I walked out of the hospital, down the road and into the car park before my wife drove me home.

Day 6 post op.
It was great to get home although with two young daughters it was quickly evident my house wasn’t as quiet and relaxing as the hospital had been.
It was great going out of a walk with the family that first day, I managed to complete 1 mile in a very pedestrian 32 minutes.

Day 7 and 8.
I completed the same walk and was more comfortable increasing the speed. My time dropping to 27 minutes day 7 and 24 minutes day 8. My INR was tested and came in at 2.3, instruction was to carry on taking the same 2mg dosage.

Day 9, 10 and 11
I felt particularly good these days. I upped my walking speed and distance to 3 miles each day at an approx. speed of 22 minute miles. On day 11 my INR was taken and was 2.1, instructions to continue the same dose and come back in one week.

Day 12
Because I was feeling OK, I reduced my pain meds down to Panadol only. I have definitely noticed an increase in the additional aches and pains. Hopefully these additional pains ease over the next couple of days. I only managed to walk a mile before feeling like I should cut it short. I was somewhat disappointed.

Day 13
Today I walked 2 .5 miles at an average of 16 minute miles, this is back to the speed I would do prior to the op. I received my cardiac rehab appointment for the end of March. I wish I could bring the date forward. 6 weeks post op is standard procedure in the UK, so I will be on my own until then.
My scar is healing well, it surprised me there are no stitches on the main incision and glue was used instead. It is so tidy that it’s already less visible that the scar in the same location from when I was a 2 yo. My 3yo calls it a scratch.

My GP has signed me off work for another 6 weeks, assuming I don’t suffer any setbacks I will be going stir crazy by then. We’re looking at gong on holiday for 2 weeks to get some sun and help pass the time. I’ll be getting a lot of miles under my belt before then.
My advice should you been looking at going through a valve replacement. Prepare for the worse and hope for the best. A positive attitude is the best thing you can have to get you through this as smoothly as possible. There will be bumps in the road but don’t let the little things get you down, before you know it you will be out the other side.

I’ve also managed to find myself a new favourite song in the process. Ben Howard. Keep your head up…keep you heart strong. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADP65wbBUpc

Speak soon
Dave

Great post Dave, I'm glad you're doing so well. I can still remember how good it felt to have the surgery behind me and recovering at home. Have fun on holiday and keep walking:cool:

Thanks Greg and Duffey.

One thing that I didn't mention is that I'm still getting used to this ticking sound :)

Thanks Dave for the update. It is extremely encouraging to hear how great you are doing. I'm actually doing a bit of a final morale boost as we speak, as I'm heading into the hospital tomorrow morning to get my aortic aneurysm fixed up. (I'm also bicuspid, although it is functional so the goal is to spare it for now. I guess we'll see soon!) Posts like yours have been my primary means of support through this process, and are much appreciated. We're close in age, and I too have a young child at home. I've been more of a reader than a poster these past months, but reading these narratives has greatly eased my initial anxiety, and at this point I'm almost impatient to get on with it. This has been on my mind for too long and I'm ready to get it over with. Knowing so many have come before me and been brave enough to face it with a smile have made this much easier. Thanks again and continue the strong recovery. I'll add an update of my own when the drugs wear off enough for me to make some sense.

Best of luck.

Mark

All the best tomorrow workmonkey. Next weekend, you would be planning your life ahead rather than constant debates over surgery that you may have endured in the last few months. Great decision on your part. Get done with it. And enjoy back your carefree and fun-filled life with the kids and family.
And when you fully recover in just a few weeks time, I highly recommend a vacation :)
Keep us posted.

Thanks for posting Mark, it is great to hear that my post has been beneficial for you.
All the best for tomorrow, I look forward to hearing how your recovery is going when you feel up to posting.
Just remember that even the first couple of days will be tough, just ride it out, keep a positive attitude and you'll be out the other side before you know it. Each day will become just that little bit easier than the previous.
All the best
Dave

Dave,

I'm glad to hear your recovery is going well! Follow the doctor's orders despite how good you feel and it will pay off in the long run.

Mike

Thanks Skepic49 and Stenis Osis, its a good point you raise regarding not overdoing it.
I couldn't obviously put in every detail, but my orders have been to push myself up until the point I can no longer talk comfortably while walking.
In reality my speed has decreased over the last 3 days during my walking taking this into account. I have no plans to do anything other than walking for the next month.
I'm still getting tired especially in the afternoons but hopefully over the next few weeks this will disappear.
Dave

Latest posts

Back