Coumadin and sun exposure

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

Emgil

My cardiologist recently told me to be careful about sun exposure and I assume his concern is vis-a-vis coumadin. I work a lot in the yard, usually with sunblock applied. Is this enough? Is the concern more with Altace (25mg) or Digoxin (.25mg)? I echo others' concerns that the doctors often don't know (or tell) much about Coumadin.
Emgil

I suspect the concern may be more with your new scar, which is very easy to sunburn.

I've never heard of a problem with the sun and warfarin.

Having had a melanoma removed this year it was probably just a general warning.

Sunblock should be OK. Keep re-applying it.

Emgil:

I was warned against sun exposure last summer after my MVR. New scar too susceptible to sunburn.
But this year .... am shopping for new swimsuit! Don't care how much of my scar I show...

I was wondering if those of us in Northern climates that come out of hibernation in the summer may get more vit d from sunlight in the summer but I guess there's not much evidence vit d levels affect inr -

http://www.vitalnutrients.net/demo/Word%20Doc's/Coumadin.htm
>>>
An isolated letter to JAMA suggested that vitamin D may potentiate anticoagulants, however, this does

not appear to be common (JAMA 1975;232:19 (letter)).
>>>

It may be my imagination, but I think I sunburn much more easily since beginning warfarin therapy. I seem to remember reading that this is a possible side effect.

If it a side effect, it is very mild. We live at about 5,000 ft elevation which means that there is 12.5% more radiation (2.5% per 1,000 ft) that at sea level. We have about 330 days of sunshine per year. If it were a huge problem, I would be seeing it all the time, which I do not.

Hi,

I noticed that you have a mechanical valve. I was wondering if you also take a Beta Blocker. If so, that is more likely to be of concern when in the sun.

Who knows, perhaps it's the Coumadin / Beta Blocker combination!

This drug has made my skin photosensitive to sunlight. I cannot take much sun, and need to have a certain type of sunblock to help prevent severe rash breakouts if over exposed to the sun. It's not a sun burn, more like sun poison. I use a sunblock recommend by my dermatologist called "Blue Lizard". It works fairly well, better than any other that I have tried.

I boat every weekend, and grewup on the ocean. I never had this issue with my skin until after my surgery.

Rob

Good point Rob. I was just thinking of warfarin. There are many medications that cause that toxic sunburn and it could be the beta blocker.

Good observation. I do, in fact, take a small dose of Tenormin each day (25 mg a day). Perhaps that is what is causing the additional sensitivity to the sun. I am like Rob in that my sunburns can cause a painful rash after just a short period of time in the sun.

Ted

sun

sun

I took atenol, a beta blocker for years and there was a warning as to sun exposure. Haven't seen this on the coumadin as of yet.

I don't think so. Probably the intensity of the sun recently. The sun and temperatures have been beating me to death on the golf course and I have had to use wet toweling, for the first time in a long time, to cool my neck.

This is an old thread and has several posts from "allodwick", who has retired and no longer posts on this forum. Al Lodwick was a certified coumadin/warfarin expert and is a very good source for info on the drug. I'd suggest that those of you who are new to ACT search his name for posts on dealing with Coumadin/warfarin.

Dick I think its that or Cozzar perhaps the pharmicist says it is Coumadin. Off topic but I am not a drinker almost mid 30's. I see you have been on coumadin for a while my cardiologist says a few drinks is fine. I only drink on special occasions have you had any issues or is the people whom over do it? Like I said I may have a few drinks for a special occasion.

I'm 46 and have been on coumadin for the past 11 months, since my AVR. I see a nurse (CNP) at the local coumadin clinic monthly and asked early on about the same concern. Alcohol itself does not affect INR but alcohol does increase the effectiveness / efficiency of coumadin, so the net result for people like us is that the alcohol use will raise our INR temporarily. Coumadin therapy should be looked at long term. I have a glass of wine or a beer 3 - 4 nights a week normally, and my INR almost always falls between 2.5 and 3.5. Sometimes there is a party weekend and I will have 3 - 4 glasses of wine two nights in a row, so I'll lay off the booze a few days before or after the party weekend to try and level out the alcohol intake over those 2 weeks. (I also don't worry about trying some of the spinach dip that weekend because the it'll somewhat offset the vitamin K effect. ;) ) Note that my idea of a party weekend is 3 - 4 drinks a night, not 8 - 10 drinks a night! My college years are over!

My CNP has remarked that managing my INR has been easy and I've read others stories about having wild swings in their INR. Each person will react a little differently so you will need to find what works for you. My guess is that if you are normally 3.0, have 3 or 4 on Saturday night, then have it checked on Wednesday you might come in at 3.5. Most here will tell you that even a 4.0 isn't life threatening, just unnecessary.

I have hit 4.0 without drinking. I use to drink only at special occasions like once a month every other but would have a decent amount of drinks. I do not have to drink have had one drink in 7 or 8 months just curious because I am sure there is a point that it would get you in trouble I agree add some spinach. One nurse said skip your coumadin the night you drink not sure thats wise or not.

I have hit 4.0 without drinking. I use to drink only at special occasions like once a month every other but would have a decent amount of drinks. I do not have to drink have had one drink in 7 or 8 months just curious because I am sure there is a point that it would get you in trouble I agree add some spinach. One nurse said skip your coumadin the night you drink not sure thats wise or not.
Skipping your Coumadin for a night of drinking is D-U-M-B. The drug is very slow acting and skipping it really won't make a difference.
Apparently an aid to having a few drinks and not affecting your INR is to stay hydrated.With water.

Bad advice from THAT nurse! Stay away from her!

I totally agree with Bina.....do not skip your coumadin just because you're going to have a drink or two or maybe three! Everything in moderation, I always say!

I had a Mango Mai Tai at Red Lobster this weekend....asked them to go lite on the rum! It was wonderful!!!
Practicing for my upcoming Hawaiian vacay! :biggrin2: :smile2:

I don't think that there's anything that definitively links drinking alcohol and a change in INR. If you drink gallons of red wine, you may take in enough of a material from the grape skins that can have an effect on your INR. But drinking, per se, should be fairly neutral where INR is concerned. (Of course, if you compromise your liver, perhaps it won't metabolize warfarin in the same way that it would, otherwise, but I don't see this as a problem for most people).

I know that a friend was taking a BP medicine that made her really sun sensitive. She switched to a different one.

Latest posts

Back