Coreg information

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marilyn

I recently ended up in the ER with changes on the stress test. I have been changed to the drug Coreg because of problems with Toprol XL I am concerned about taking 6.25 mg twice a day, because I have problems with Toprol XL at a low dose. I seem to have problems with heart medicines. I do fine with nitro patch. I had open heart surgery 3 years ago, and grafts had filled up 50% 2007. I also had the aortic valve replaced. My tricuspid and mitral valve regurgitate. The main problem is I have lots of blockages that they can't seem to address. As of yesterday I have been told to only go 2.4 on a treadmill and to e-mail the doctor everyday. I have been having unstable angina as well as stable angina that has increased. My main question is to know how Coreg affects someone.

Hi Marilyn! When my mom first started Coreg, her blood pressure was pretty low, please watch for that. Her cardio started her on a low dose, and VERY gradually she was worked up to her current 25 mg x2 a day. It took awhile, but this drug has really helped her. She is sensitive to meds too-she could not tolerate lisinopril, but takes Diovan instead. Best wishes and hope this helps a little...:)Deb

Marilyn,

I took Coreg from September till February. It helped a lot with my PVCs and quietening my raging heart. I started on a high dose twice a day, and I was taking 6.25mg once a day at the end. Since my HR remained high, my doctor put me on Metroporol and I am doing better on it. So, you maybe just the opposite of me and let's hope so. Watch your BP and monitor your heart rate.

Coreg was the best beta blocker for me, since it had less effects on peripheral circulation. It was generally more lightweight in other side effects as well. So I would judge it to be a good choice in most cases. At least in Europe it is used less because of that it is more expensive than the alternatives.

::g

Dear Gustaf,
That is great to hear that it has less side effects. I had a terrible time with Toprol XL. I was worried about starting it twice a day at 6.25 mg. A friend of mine was started on it once a day at 3.25 mg. I have problems with some of the heart medicines, and the cardio said he thinks I am sensitive to them. Thanks!

Coreg has been great for me. My bp is finally stabilizing and side effects of Coreg are better. It might make you a little tired, but exercising and cardiac rehab has helped me alot.

I have another question about Coreg. The cardiologist wants me to take the 6.25 twice a day for 2 weeks to see how I do, and then up it to 25 mg. He said he would eventually like my heart rate at 50. Has anyone been told that it would be good to get their heart rate to 50? I wonder how tired I would become????

25mg is the "standard" dose, acording to my cardio. Heart rate at 50 seems very low to me. Mine gets to low 60's high 50's sometimes.

Do you feel tired having your heart rate in the low 60's? Mine is down to 78-80. Also, have you ever heard of anyone getting heartburn from Coreg? I had so many problems with Toprol XL at 25 mg that I am concerned taking beta blockers.

Do you feel tired having your heart rate in the low 60's? Mine is down to 78-80. Also, have you ever heard of anyone getting heartburn from Coreg? I had so many problems with Toprol XL at 25 mg that I am concerned taking beta blockers.

I don't feel any different with my low heart rate than when its at 75ish. I just tick slower. :) I haven't experienced any heartburn on either toprol or the coreg, but I haven't talked to anyone else on the drug.

Heart rate

Heart rate

You asked about your MD wanting your heart rate at 50. Ive seen 2 cardiologists with very differing opinions. I also am on Coreg. My pulse is between 45 and 60 most of the time, except during stress or exercise. I have 2-3+ aortic regurg and dilated aorta. The first cardiologist likes a low rate: his logic is that the valve opens and closes fewer times and therefore wears slower thereby increasing my time to surgery. The second cardiologist doesnt like it becaus I have woken up with pulse rates of 41 to 43 and is concerned I will pass out during the day. Personally, I am such a type A personality and so stressed out at work that there is no chance of that: all that happens is sometimes I feel dizzy if I get up to quickly.

Anyways, I dont have a clear answer but those were the two opinions I received.

My gut tells me its fine to be at the low end as long as I dont feel symptoms. My BP is fairly stable at 110/70 plus or minus 10 depending on mood etc.

Latest posts

Back