Cookers Weigh In---FridayThrow Down 6-27

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, once again I managed to stay the same... If I'd stuck with my exercising that I did last weekend throughout the week I know I would have gone down. But I got lazy, I'll admit it. However, our Wii Fit should be arriving today! :) So maybe that will get me motivated to move every day. It seems to have worked for a lot of people. Both Nathan and I are hoping to use it as often as possible.

Today I'm off to visit with my surrogate. We're meeting up at Turner Falls in OK. I'm sure I'll be doing quite a bit of walking and SWEATING today. Perhaps I should weigh again in the morning. ;)

Keep up the good work everyone. I'm particularly proud of our chimp and his battle against the gum. Way to go!! Ton, Mary, Karlynn, Wise, Sumo... You're all doing so well. I feel like a bum next to you guys. :eek: But you're sure inspiring! :D

Oh wait, I found the number. Two weeks ago it was 202.8 and this morning 203.3 so we're talking about half a pound. It's just that there was this 4 lb bump in the middle. So I should be back on track next week.

Our WW center was closed this week, so we don't have official weights for today. On our scales we both down at least 1 lb. each. We'll report the real results next week.

Cooker, I agree with everyone else, the nicotine is the worse of the two evils. Two thumbs up!!

Congrats to Jack and Ton.

Great job Cindy, Wise and Jack!!!!.....I hopped on the scales this morning and, well, lets just say this better come to a close quick...as I type with one hand......the other has a Mayfield?s Fat Free Fudge Bar in it:rolleyes:

***Those with WW scales at home. I'm not quite sure why they measure weight to the 1/10th of a pound. I weighed in my nightshirt and then weighed in my b-day suit and got the exact same weight. I've done this several times and the scale never registers the change. (My night shirt weighs 8/10ths of a pound - weighed it on my food scale. :D)

Is there a time you should wait before weighing again because the scale retains the last weight for a while?

The scale is still pretty accurate. It never varies more than .5 from the Wii Fit weight.

***Those with WW scales at home. I'm not quite sure why they measure weight to the 1/10th of a pound. I weighed in my nightshirt and then weighed in my b-day suit and got the exact same weight. I've done this several times and the scale never registers the change. (My night shirt weighs 8/10ths of a pound - weighed it on my food scale. :D)

Is there a time you should wait before weighing again because the scale retains the last weight for a while?

The scale is still pretty accurate. It never varies more than .5 from the Wii Fit weight.

Mine have done that too, Karlynn. I think it has a memory thing going for it, so you need to wait awhile before you step back on.
I've also learned not to get on after taking a bath . . . SHUT UP, Gadget!:p
I don't know what causes it to weigh a pound or two more, but it does!;)

Yes, the internal computer has a built-in histeresis loop. According to Wikipedia that means:

A system with hysteresis can be summarised as a system that may be in any number of states, independent of the inputs to the system. To be exact, a system with hysteresis exhibits path-dependence, or "rate-independent memory". By contrast, consider a deterministic system with no hysteresis and no dynamics. In that case, we can predict the output of the system at some instant in time, given only the input to the system at that instant. If the system has hysteresis, then this is not the case; we can't predict the output without looking at the history of the input. In order to predict the output, we must look at the path that the input followed before it reached its current value.

Got that? I though so. But what can you do about it? Weigh something a lot different in between, say like one leg on and one leg off. Then it remembers that reading, so the next time you get on with both feet it can't fall back on it's histeresis.

Thanks Jack and Mary. Good idea on weighing something different in between.

Whew! I sure got my workout today! :eek: Like I said, I met up with my surrogate (LD) at Turner Falls Park and we did a ton of walking up and down a mountain (which was HARD!!!), did some swimming, then some more walking (slightly more level surface). When I got home our Wii Fit had arrived! Nathan was using my computer, so I decided to set up the Fit and get my baseline started. I ended up getting 25 minutes of exercise credits. Overall I'd say I had a pretty active day! :D

I didn't use enough sun screen, apparently, because my back is burnt to a crisp! :eek: Also, I got stung by a wasp on my finger and my whole hand swelled up! :eek: LD wasn't free of her own injuries... She stubbed her toe on a rock and took off a flap of skin, then landed face first in the water when she went down the slide! :eek:

I know it sounds like we had an awful time, but really we were laughing about it all. :D

You had a full and fun day there Niki...report back on the Wii fit as I am trying to convince hubby we need one!

It seems we are missing a few losers this week...

Hi Guys! I am reporting an additional 1 Lb loss which = a 2.5 loss for
the last 2- 3 weeks.
Karlynn : I have tried to take a cue from you and have created an EVERYDAY
exercise regiment-mostly walking or riding my bike on the path that is near my house( I dont have an exercise machine at home and I really dont enjoy
going to the gym,so If it rains , I try to do some -now dont laugh-some
dancing; I put on some music, make sure no one is looking:eek: and do about
an hour of enjoyable exercise,I find this to be helpful.

Cooker : I quit smoking over a year ago and put on a little weight too.
I believe what you said is right about the lack of nicotine affecting your
metabolism, and it took a while for it to striaghten itself out again, but it
will eventually. Please dont let this discourage you, it happens to all, and
it is so worth it to be able to BREATHE again.

Regarding the scales: I never weigh myself with any extra weight at all,
Im surprised I dont trim my nails and shave off my hair before I weigh
myself:rolleyes:

Thanks everyone for helping me lose my first 2and1/2-still along way to go.
----------- Dina

Mine have done that too, Karlynn. I think it has a memory thing going for it, so you need to wait awhile before you step back on.
I've also learned not to get on after taking a bath . . . SHUT UP, Gadget!:p
I don't know what causes it to weigh a pound or two more, but it does!;)

Everything messes with the scales....from baths to large veggie pizzas:mad:....the best weighing time for the Chimp is early morning post pooh....any other time shows a false reading:rolleyes:

Cooker : I quit smoking over a year ago and put on a little weight too.
I believe what you said is right about the lack of nicotine affecting your
metabolism, and it took a while for it to straighten itself out again, but it
will eventually. Please dint let this discourage you, it happens to all, and
it is so worth it to be able to BREATHE again.

Thanks Dina....I quit the smoking some time ago but have been chewing the nicotine gum for about three years......I'm a little over two weeks now and still having a problem munching in the afternoon....this will pass and the weight will come off......I just got tired of being controlled (addicted) by nicotine in any form....not to mention the stuff was about $70 a box.......I could be spending that money on KrispyKremes......oh yeah, I am:eek:

Dina - yea! And remember - even if the weight doesn't come off, the exercise is still very good for you!

Niki - so what did you think of the Wii Fit? Kinda fun. Although Glenn used it the first day we had it, and then hasn't after that. The Fit periodically asks me what is weight is. When I report it's the same the Fit then tells me that MAYBE I'M NOT PAYING ENOUGH ATTENTION TO HIM! Can you believe that?!

Niki - so what did you think of the Wii Fit? Kinda fun. Although Glenn used it the first day we had it, and then hasn't after that. The Fit periodically asks me what is weight is. When I report it's the same the Fit then tells me that MAYBE I'M NOT PAYING ENOUGH ATTENTION TO HIM! Can you believe that?!

Yes, I'm having fun. Though some of the exercises are pretty difficult for me, I'm also really good at some of the ones Nathan isn't so good at. ;) I had it check my weight and I was down a pound from last night. But I think that's just because it was a different time of day. I need to find a consistent time to do it every day.

As for it telling you you're not paying enough attention to Glenn, that's just WRONG! ;) What a rude trainer! Tell Glenn to set it straight! ;)

Hang in there Jack. I've been hovering around my starting weight since this Throw Down began. Came pretty close to throwing in the towel many times (and probably still will) but I keep telling myself that regardless of weight, paying attention to what I eat and exercising are just plain good for me.

Niki - I find some of the things tough too - particularly some of the Yoga. But I've come to love the yoga (and still don't do some of the more difficult ones). I feel it gives me a good stretch. My favorite is the Spinal Twist - feels so good on my back.

Have you tried the Rhythmic Boxing yet in the Aerobic section - I really like that. Have worked up to 10 minutes on that. It's a good cardio.

We're going to KC for a week to help my son and DIL get their new house whipped into shape. It will be interesting to see what my weight does away from my daily workout. If it goes up much - I'm heading to my PCP because that's just BS (Beyond Senseless :D ;)) The more I read tho' I'm pretty certain this struggle is due to pre-menopause weight gain issues. My son's MIL says that if she wants to loose 5 pounds it would take her a year. If she wanted to gain 50, she could get it done in a week. I'll ditto that!

Niki - I find some of the things tough too - particularly some of the Yoga. But I've come to love the yoga (and still don't do some of the more difficult ones). I feel it gives me a good stretch. My favorite is the Spinal Twist - feels so good on my back.

Have you tried the Rhythmic Boxing yet in the Aerobic section - I really like that. Have worked up to 10 minutes on that. It's a good cardio.

We're going to KC for a week to help my son and DIL get their new house whipped into shape. It will be interesting to see what my weight does away from my daily workout. If it goes up much - I'm heading to my PCP because that's just BS (Beyond Senseless :D ;)) The more I read tho' I'm pretty certain this struggle is due to pre-menopause weight gain issues. My son's MIL says that if she wants to loose 5 pounds it would take her a year. If she wanted to gain 50, she could get it done in a week. I'll ditto that!

I haven't unlocked everything yet. So I don't have the option of doing the Boxing one. However, if the Wii Sports Boxing is any indication, I'm not going to like that one much! It wears me out! :eek: Aerobic is actually really difficult for me. I guess my heart just gets going too fast and my ICD slows it down, then I don't get enough oxygen! Not generally a good thing. I'll probably have to stick to the light stuff in aerobics. The yoga and the strength I was fairly good at. Though I cheated on the push up one (put my knees down). Balance I was pretty good at too. The really annoying one in the aerobic section for me has been the step one. For some reason sometimes it doesn't register when I step off the board! I must be doing something wrong but haven't been able to figure out what that is.

Oh, funny story from yesterday. I went to a friend's house last night and went up the stairs. When I got to the top she started asking about my watch. I was confused at first. Then when she went to try and listen to it (my watch) I realized she was hearing my valve! :D When I told her it was my heart she said "Wow! It's racing. Are you okay?" I told her I was fine, it was just going fast because I'd gone up the stairs. I think it freaked her out a bit how fast my heart was going with just one flight of stairs!

Oh, funny story from yesterday. I went to a friend's house last night and went up the stairs. When I got to the top she started asking about my watch.

Yeah, it's happened to me a few times too. There was one time on an elevator a woman piped up, "Someone's got a loud watch on." Just then the doors opened to my floor and as I stepped off I turned to her and quietly said, "No, that's my heart." Silence...

Latest posts

Back