Cooker's Throwdown Friday III -- 4-15

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everyone! It sure is nice to read everyone's posts and see how you are doing. Cooker, before we left for our cruise you were really having a time with arthritic pain...how is that doing? Marie, I love beignets!. I actually love most of the food I've had done in New Orleans! I think some of the best things about traveling is sampling regional delights.

Our cruise was wonderful. It was so nice to spend time with my sister and her hubby as well as Tom's two brothers. It was a great family time. We had a table for 6 and it was by a window in the corner. Our waitstaff was about perfect and the food incredible but the best part of the meals was all the laughter occurring. I was really sorry to have it end. We all live in different states and just don't see each other as much as we would like. I didn't weigh after the cruise until today at the Doctor's office. I am still up a couple of lbs. but it wasn't as bad as I expected.

We came home in the middle of the annual pollen fall. We try to keep the house sealed up and avoid as much of the pollen as possible but it still got to me. I think the sudden difference from the clean ocean air to clouds of yellow pollen. Anyway, just when I started feeling better my back and ribs on the right side began hurting. In fact, I was wondering if I had cracked a rib or pulled a muscle sneezing or coughing. I had a few days of fever and really pretty intense pain. Last night I began thinking that I might have Shingles but I had no rash. This morning the rash started and now am getting blisters. It is a first for me. Anyone else ever had them? I'm now on an anti-viral, prednisone, and percocet. I have nothing planned for this week so I'll just kick back for several days. There is controversy on whether or not it is contagious. If it is then it is only until the blisters crust over. I don't want to infect anyone so I'll play it safe.

Tom is already below his pre-cruise weight and like I mentioned, I'm almost there. We are being very good weight watchers again and I hope to add lots of lbs to our 4th of July tally.

Hi Betty,

Glad you had a great time and are back safely. Sorry about those problems though -- I haven't had that particular malady so don't know what advice I could offer. (I did have chicken pox as an adult, though -- was the sickest, most miserable I have ever been.)

Hope the meds, particularly the percocet, help. I remember percocet as being what got me through 5 days in the hospital post-OHS virtually pain-free. :)

Great to have you back with us!

Betty,
I've had more than my share of experience with shingles. You are only contagious around people who haven't had chicken pox or the chicken pox vaccine. I've had to avoid two grandbabies during an outbreak.
I'm on a theuraputic dose of famiclovir year round. One a day seems to work, but when I'm first out in the sun for the spring/summer, I up it to twice a day. Sun exposure seems to be the trigger for me. In addition, if I sit in a car for a very long time, the pressure can sometime activate a case. I always break out on the outside of my left thigh. I've learned to recognize the nerve pain as a warning sign that I'm danger of an outbreak.
On a more pleasant note, I'm happy to read that you had such an enjoyable cruise. Only gaining a few pounds is remarkable, and I commend you on your good work!

Betty, so glad you had such a wonderful time on your cruise, but oh so sorry you've got shingles. Good job there with WW, and following a cruise at that!

Okay, ThrowDowners, another weigh-in is drawing near. Remember that breakfast is your most important meal of the day. Remember those superfoods -- whole wheat, blueberries, strawberries, yogurt -- good stuff. Exercise with the gusto of a chimp in full swingin' mode. Watch that salt shaker or Superbob or the FDA will be coming after you. :eek: (Who is Superbob kidding -- he can't even get his DW to curb her use of salt. :rolleyes: )

Anyway, good luck to all -- we had pretty good participation this past week. Seem to have lost our Aussie friends lately though. Was it something Superbob said, mates? :) Please come back and join us....

Okay, ThrowDowners, another weigh-in is drawing near. Remember that breakfast is your most important meal of the day. Remember those superfoods -- whole wheat, blueberries, strawberries, yogurt -- good stuff. Exercise with the gusto of a chimp in full swingin' mode. Watch that salt shaker or Superbob or the FDA will be coming after you. :eek: (Who is Superbob kidding -- he can't even get his DW to curb her use of salt. :rolleyes: )

Anyway, good luck to all -- we had pretty good participation this past week. Seem to have lost our Aussie friends lately though. Was it something Superbob said, mates? :) Please come back and join us....

I think Ton needs a special invite. Superbob needs to fly across the ocean and bring her back to weigh on his scales.

Ton, are you in the choccy again?

Superbob, the exercise department is where I need to step it up. I just bought a pair of shoes like Cindy has, Skechers Shape-Ups. They feel funny at first to walk on, but they are very supportive and take pressure off of my back. I've been having a sore back every night recently, but not last night. Yeah. So, now I need to actually exercise.

Exercise dept -- bummer, Superbob just discovered a cut of unknown origin under his big toe last night, with redness and swelling and even some numbness. Fresh off a diabetes management class, he is taking it seriously and heading off to podiatrist this afternoon. Best to take foot sores and cuts seriously if you'd like to keep them (the feet that is). Not likely to be good news for walking in the short term -- Superdawg is going to be miffed. Hoping the doc at least will let SB use an exercise bike til it's well.

Prayers going out Superbob about your cut foot. You are using wisdom in how you're handling it. Hoping for a quick recovery!

Take care of those feet, Superbob.:)
Landing gear is important in your line of work.;)

Liftoff is a chore, too, considering the height of some of those tall buildings. :p

Foot doc said SB did the right thing coming in, performed some scrapes to take off a rough place that had caught on something and split during a dawg walk, put on ointment and bandage, and gave The Man of Steel a week's worth of antibiotics. Said to keep on walkin', which Superdawg is glad to hear. SD has gotten over her limp on her own (meaning she is less of a wimp than SB)...:p

Latest posts

Back