Cooker's Throwdown Friday III ... 2-3-12

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks SuperBob and WiseMan ... I do feel MUCH better. I walked and climbed stairs this morning and had no issues.. I’m not sure what got me off beat but it’s gone now. I suspect it may have been caffeine and over eating. I had a huge meal late Saturday and had been pounding caffeine all day.:redface2:

Anyway I plan to cut back on caffeine and try not to eat big meals, late anyway:biggrin2:

Hope you are feeling better, Chimp. I was a bad little boy at last night super bowl. I just forced food down until my belly was absolutely stuffed and bulging full. I ate, and ate, and ate all night long.

Ok gang, I need help. I seem to have settled into a good exercise routine (one hour of walking mixed with stair stepping) but I can not stay away from sugar!!! I do fine for a couple of days and then go nuts. My definition of nuts if you must know is, well I will use yesterday’s debauch of two milk shakes, one ice cream cone and a couple of biscuits. If I'm “pre-diabetic” this has to stop. The instruction from the doctor to increase exercise is in place. I was not told to limit sugar but I know I need to (I’m sure they assumed that I would do so with out instruction).

Here’s the digs, anyone with an answer to my sugar addiction problem can expect to receive $17.63 in unmarked bills, under the table, tax free:cool2:

Rant over.

Cooker,

Some random ideas/suggestions: If you are diagnosed as prediabetic, you might consider taking a diabetes management course at your local hospital. Usually a series of just an hour or two courses taught by folks who know a lot about food selection, exercise, etc.

For most people, I think, it's a matter of cutting down on sugar, not eliminating it altogether. I use Splenda instead of sugar on my morning oatmeal. I've always taken my coffee black, so that's no problem. For pancakes, I use Cary's no sugar syrup or Smucker's low-sugar. If you crave milkshakes, there is the alternative of Atkins Diet milkshakes that are high in protein, very low in sugar. (There are others as well; Glucerna is one.) You can find a cookbook, "Cooking With Splenda," that provides recipes for tasty goodies like cakes made with Splenda that you can find in the store especially for baking. DW hasn't bought into that and my cooking skills are poor (except for pancakes), so mainly I've looked for low-sugar or no-sugar goodies that some bakeries and other eateries have. Or with a regular pie, I try to eat just one slice instead of the whole pie -- a revolutionary concept for me. :biggrin2: Oh and Breyer's makes no or low-sugar ice cream that I swear is just as tasty as the full-sugar versions. The whole family likes it -- it's a Godsend in the hot summers.

I'm doing this off the top of my head. I'm sure I can come up with more suggestions including books on the subject. Will follow up.

If this qualifies me for the monetary reward, just put it in a Throwdown fund, and one day we'll have a blowout for a big ol' Throwdowner reunion! ;)

Good luck to you, my friend -- it's actually kind of fun to look for the alternatives to sugar. My one regret is that I haven't been able to find low-sugar scones anywhere. :rolleyes2: However, a scone is only an occasional treat for me when I have been a good boy. :thumbup:

One thing that I do to help with my sweet craving is I spray popcorn with cooking spray and coat in some Splenda and a little sea salt. It's sweet and salt combo that I love.

Also, I concur with SB about the Breyers suggestion. It is good.

Bob & Wise ... Thanks for the suggestions. If I can stop at just one or two goodies I would have it licked. I work with a diabetic and she is helping teach this old dog new tricks and my golf buddy is diabetic and he wants a refresher course at the hospital and he has asked me to sign up as well. I think if I can get serious about getting rid of the gut I haul around and keep walking I will be on the right track... Thanks again!

Bob & Wise ... Thanks for the suggestions. If I can stop at just one or two goodies I would have it licked. I work with a diabetic and she is helping teach this old dog new tricks and my golf buddy is diabetic and he wants a refresher course at the hospital and he has asked me to sign up as well. I think if I can get serious about getting rid of the gut I haul around and keep walking I will be on the right track... Thanks again!

Take the refresher diabetes management course with your buddy! It is good information even if you are not diabetic. :thumb up: And share what you learn -- this old dog is always looking for new tricks. ;)

Latest posts

Back