Cooker's Throwdown Friday 1-04-13

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wise - My dear wife has tried to convince me of all the ways I can bring my lunch to work, but the truth is that there is nowhere I can eat in peace for a good part of the year. Here in Chicago it is nice enough to go to the park for only 3 or 4 months of the year. The rest of the time it is either too hot, too cold or rainy/snowy. And BTW, nobody eats in my car. We have an employee "lunchroom" but that is the first place they look for us. My office has a lockable door, but a closed door seems to act as a people magnet - even the owners of the company will keep knocking (they know you're in there. . . ). Also, in all of my past career "lives" I have been in positions where management "just didn't bring lunch." It is, I admit, a problem of my own making. I try to keep current on all the lunch spots in the area that serve good turkey, fish or chicken dishes, and especially the one or two that offer low fat/sodium options. There is a new one in the area, too. It is from an east coast chain - "Muscle Maker Grille." They cater to health-oriented fitness enthusiasts, but many of their selections work very well for heart patients.

SB - Thanks for reminding all of us that our weight will fluctuate by a pound or two or three on a daily basis. While it feels good to see the scale drop in the morning, it is only "official" if it stays there over a longer period of time. I have actually thought of plotting my daily weight on a graph and adding a trend line so that I can react to the trend rather than the variation. In my case especially, that "normal" 1 to 3 pound fluctuation due to sodium intake and resulting fluid retention is probably the prime driver of my short-term weight changes. It can also amount to 2 or 3 percent of my normal body weight. This makes for a mental roller coaster.

I, too, seem to be down a bit today but will wait to report it until the end of the week. Maybe it does make sense to record it daily and report it weekly. That will smooth out the daily variation, although the weekly report can be distorted if we eat the wrong things the day before "report card" day. I'd better stop thinking about this now, lest I over-analyze it.

Steve, I have bursts of enthusiasm when I follow the "record daily, report weekly" routine. Been doing that lately. But over the long haul, I have found it better for motivation to stay off the scales until weigh-in day. Slight bumps upward can be depressing, at least for me. However, your idea of charting day to day weight over a long period could provide useful information about daily fluctuations within long-term progress. I'll watch your posts for that. :D Meanwhile, I am optimistic about continuing my progress.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back