Cooker's Throwdown Friday 1-04-13

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duffey

Me and Granbon
Supporting Member
I suppose you can see from the picture Cooker's shared from his vacation hideaway that the Chimp's AWOL for a few more days, and he has asked if I would start this week's thread. I haven't weighed, still too early to face the scales, :eek2: but I will and use that number as my new starting weight. In the meantime, how has everyone done this week?

I've just about held my ground -- which is not a bad place to be after two weeks of holiday observances. I weighed in this morning at 164.6, a bit up from my lowest, but I think that I wasn't feeling well at the low point and wasn't eating correctly.

I also set a goal to determine my weight objective for the near term, based upon body mass index. Well, according to the formulas, I'm at the high end of the "normal" range, but I still feel that I need to lose some weight. To that end, I am setting my weight goal at 160 lbs. Not much of a reduction, but with all that is going on in my situation (adjusting meds, etc.), I think I'll do well there. That would put me in the upper quarter of the "normal" BMI range, but it also leaves some room for future improvements. I'm also thinking that a 4 to 5 pound loss is something that I can do. If I set a goal at 10 or 15 pounds, I would probably feel overwhelmed at the start.

Happy New Year!

My starting weight for the new race (to_____?) is 265, exactly what it was at the start of the Maintenance Phase.

So after some downs and then ups during the holidays, I managed to maintain, exactly. I'll take that as an accomplishment.

My simple goal is just to see the 250s again during 2013 and to stay in the 250s. I haven't seen the 250s for decades. After I establish the 250s as the new normal, I can set a new goal to lose some more.

Eat sensibly, exercise briskly, and keep stress level low. Right now, it's the third part that is hardest. I know most, maybe all of you Throwdowners are spring chickens who are not into retirement. But my corporate retiree health plan for self and spouse has gone away because of corporate takeover. After being on one company plan for years, we have to choose between a Medigap-plus-prescription plan or Medicare Advantage. To make this choice( which I have to do today), you really need a crystal ball. MA has very low premiums and a variety of services in-network, but high co-pays and a big out-of-pocket shell-out if you are admitted to a hospital. Medigap has high premiums but low co-pays. With our company plan that is expiring, we paid high premium but had to pay little out of pocket to doctors or other medical facilities.

If I knew neither of us would have a serious illness and hospitalization during the coming year, MA would save me a lot of money. But with our histories, how can you know that with confidence? I've gone back and forth on this and lost a lot of sleep. :frown2: Okay, I don't expect anyone to tell me what to do, I just wanted to vent. The TD is a place you can do that with friends.

Anyway my good news is that I had no weight gain during Christmas/New Year's, which may be the first time in my life that has been the case.:thumbup:

PS, Update, Breaking News: I am very fortunate that we got a very well informed benefits adviser today (after my post above) through the private exchange the corp contracted with, and we've wound up with Medigap/prescription plans that seem to cover us well and actually should save us a few bucks. Load off my mind. With our medical histories, we need the peace of mind of knowing that we have coverage if difficult days come along.

Last edited:
My scales show my weight as 151 this morning. Not bad, but historically my highest weight of the year occurs the first week in February, so I need to be careful.
I'd like to lose 6 pounds over the next few months, then try to lose 6 more by warm weather.

Superbob, good luck with your decision. I don't envy your having to make it.
Steve, your goal seems reasonable to me. I bet you reach it.

I suppose you can see from the picture Cooker's shared from his vacation hideaway that the Chimp's AWOL for a few more days, and he has asked if I would start this week's thread. I haven't weighed, still too early to face the scales, :eek2: but I will and use that number as my new starting weight. In the meantime, how has everyone done this week?

BTW, I don't see The Chimp engaged in any kind of exercise in that picture -- no swimming, just lounging. Is there some alternative exercise implied but not pictured? :p

My weight is UP from 1/1/12, sadly.
I've exercised every day since Xmas - by which I mean getting on the elliptical AND walking. I'm trying to get back in gear after the horrific last 4 months at work - which efforts Congress just made pretty insignificant by making permanent the $5,000,000 indexed for inflation estate, gift and generation skipping transfer tax exemptions.
I'm into short term goals right now: Track my food daily, eat right, Exercise every day and drop 5 lbs by 2/1/2013.
Start for 1/1/13: 144.1 UGH.
Goal: 132

I’m starting fresh with this first post of 2013. I started the maintenance race at 228.5 with ups and downs I have ended up today, the day after vacation at 231. Any way I am amending my 2013 goal to one pound a week until Thanksgiving starting today. No need to try and lose the six plus three and a pound for this week so I’m starting today fresh!!!!

Anyway I think if I lose a pound a week starting now that will be forty-six pounds by Turkey Day, not bad.....

We tried to diet on vacation and we both about lost our religion (diet and vacation do not mix and I don’t recommend it nor will I ever make that mistake again) ... we regrouped, ate half the menu at McDonald’s and all was well ....

I did swim today:thumbup:

Happy New year and may God Bless us all...... peace:smile2:

2013 Starting Weight 231

On January 2 Cindy weighed 158.7. Today she weighed 157.5. That's a loss of 1.2 so far. Cindy says "I'm very pleased to be participating again in the Throwdown. I'm happy that my efforts to eat more sensibly and exercise are paying off already!"

I'm going to report my next official weight next Friday, but things are looking good. I am feeling some better, eating better, starting exercising (although not gangbusters yet), and I'm sleeping better overall.

My goals for this year involve losing more weight than most of you. I do want to approach it realistically, so I'm not shooting to lose it all quickly. My PCP says he'd be happy for me to lose two pounds a month. Regardless of how long it takes me, I want to get back to 160. That is still above the recommendations for my height, but over 30 pounds less than my current weight.

Glad to hear you've made a plan choice you feel good about SB! You are correct, sometimes we need to vent and what better place than among friends. Your goals for this year sound very reasonable and doable. I need to keep that mentality and expect something I can't do.

Steve, sounds like you have a good plan! I'm trying to follow in your footsteps.

Duffey, you're doing well! I hear that Cindy is jealous of your weight, hehe. Actually she's happy for you. I'm happy that she's joined in again and we're working on this together again.

Laurie, it sounds like you've got a good plan going forward. Hopefully work will cooperate better this year!

Cooker, eat more bananas, but not on top of pancakes, lol! Have fun!

LOL! That's funny about losing your religion over dieting. I've done that when I wasn't on vacation! Half the menu at McDonald's...also LOL! Cindy says to tell you that a pound a week sounds very reasonable.

My wife and I seem to do well on vacation. It is only when we return home to the stresses of work that we lose that iron control. While vacationing, we usually eat a light breakfast, a light lunch or maybe just a healthy snack around mid-day, then a carefully chosen dinner. Usually more fish when on vacation, as we seem to favor seaside locations for leisure travel. Also, we are usually too busy to snack while we're out and about, so that helps too.

So, this year, I have to find a way to avoid the stress eating of junk food. For me, that will be difficult, as there are few opportunities for healthy snacks where I work. In addition to that, I will not bring my lunch to work -- I would never get peace to eat it. Even locked doors seem to attract visitors. So, I get out of the office and eat out, but several of my favorite "healthier" restaurants have gone out of business. I'll have to start over, I guess, as I don't dare think I can skip lunch - I would eat way too much at dinner. (Just grumbling -- I'll figure out something.)

Steve

Dunno if it helps, but we make our meals and take them to work. I have to get out of the building if I want to have lunch without being dragged into work too (IT). So I find a quiet spot and eat there. I take some cut carrot and celery for snacks (and some chocolates that I keep in a desk drawer)

Cooker's Throwdown Friday 1-04-13

I like the idea of starting fresh...so I'm starting at 156.4. I'm definitely doing better at work...salad bar and non-fat yogurt for lunch most days. Work has 1/4 mile "indoor walk path" (actually a hallway). I'm trying to do AT LEAST 2 miles a day...one before work, one at lunch. Home...not the same story...to much left over junk in the house I think. Baby steps I guess.

I like the idea of starting fresh...so I'm starting at 156.4. I'm definitely doing better at work...salad bar and non-fat yogurt for lunch most days. Work has 1/4 mile "indoor walk path" (actually a hallway). I'm trying to do AT LEAST 2 miles a day...one before work, one at lunch. Home...not the same story...to much left over junk in the house I think. Baby steps I guess.

Baby step are perfect ... too much too fast has always failed for me .... keep moving!!!

Baby step are perfect ... too much too fast has always failed for me .... keep moving!!!

I agree with the baby steps -- slow and steady wins the race. But SB stepped on the scales this morning and saw a big step of progress. Not going to report it today. Going to have to sustain it, and hope to have just as good a result or better on Friday. Got to remember though that there will be weight fluctuations along the way. Shouldn't get too up or too down by one day's change.

It is a glorious day along the coast this morning. Just might take Superdawg for a stroll along the shore.

BTW, Superbob has started a new blog on walking and fitness and trying to age gracefully. It is at:

steadfastdawgwalker.blogspot.com in case any of you would like to check it out. I intend it to stay steadfastly on topic. It's called "Walking Stick, Don't Fail Me Now!" Just started it over the weekend, so it's basically under construction. (I still have another blog for general commentary.)

Sounds like we are all off to a good start ... I plan to fit my plan around my comfort zone ... not push too hard but just stay active and watch what I eat ... I believe the only way to a new me is a new daily outlook:thumbup:

I agree, being realistic is the way to lasting results.

SB, yep fluctuations occur. Your advise is sage about not overreacting to them. I'm doing well, but this morning my weight bumped up. For once I didn't get aggravated by it. It will even out.

I'll have to check out the blog. I know it will be informative ad witty!

Steve, the lunch thing would be irritating to me. I remember having to get out to keep from working through lunch. I only work part time but I take a small cooler with me and put a healthy lunch or snack in it. Maybe something like that in your car would help out?

Ok, which one of you hungry Throwdowners ate my post from yesterday?:mad2::mad2::mad2:

I reject the nagging suspicion that I forgot to hit "Submit Reply.":eek2:

Fess up!:tongue2:

I see there have been no confessions. I KNOW the ref did not forget to hit the reply button!

Back