Confused about Common Flu Vaccine.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petros

Dear All,
I am really confused whether people with AVR should have above vaccine? Some cardios say yes and some say no! Since my AVR-two years ago- I am without the vaccine with no significant problems. However, I am an Endocarditis "survivor" and really I do not know what's the best for me. I understand that there would be no connection between Endocarditis and common flu but what about all the dangers that may result from secondary infections such as common flu (sore throad and perhaps fever)?
Any advise pls?

I've had MVR and my doctors have always advised me to have the flu vaccine every year.

My family doctor also advises me to stay current on pneumonia vaccination, since I've had pneumonia twice -- in October 1995 and March 2000.

Best to do whatever I can to prevent an infection that could have been avoided or otherwise reduced in severity. No vaccination is 100% effective, but they can reduce the intensity of the illness.

Hope this helps!

Well, I've taken the flu shots for the last 18 years. Also taken it at least 10 years before I had AVR and never had a problem or the flu.
Never had a cardiologist or any physician to not recommend the shot.
Also had the pneumonia shots and recently had the shingles shot.

I have bovine tissue valve and three doctors advised I have seasonal flu shot (had it about a month ago) and the H1N1 vaccine when it is available in my area.

You should check with your personal physician IMO and get the opinion as applies to you specifically.

I've taken the common flu shot for more years than I can remember. Already have had my '09 shot. Will get the "swine flu" shot when it becomes available. My docs have always known that I get these shots and I have never had a doc discourage me from getting one. On the contrary, my docs are very supportive of me getting these shots.

Well I tried to get the flu shot this afternoon, but.........
Get This:
Our Canadian Government only wants those who are 65 years of age to get the flu shot at this time as they seem to be more in the "high risk" category.

Duh....hello..???

AND the Government wants the rest of the population to receive the H1N1 first, but that will only be available sometime in November, then after that; one can get the flu shot.

Another rumor at the S/O place of business is that the flu shot will bring on H1N1 virus, therefore have canceled their routine vaccinations.

Who or what to believe??

Get all the immunizations you can now!

Get all the immunizations you can now!

Dear friends:

Al and I have recently been visiting the Mayo Clinic in Arizona for a numerous concerns and problems.

Each and every one of the numerous doctors that we have seen in the last several months have encouraged both of us to get all of the different kinds of shots available...pneumonia, swine flu, flue shots, tetnus shots, and even shots for shingles.

Our regular doctor (internist) has always encouraged us to keep our shots current.

Al received his mechanical mitral valve in 1990. He has kept his immunizations current since then with no problems.

Blanche

Latest posts

Back