computers & pacemakers

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c terra

Hey it's me again...
I was encouraged to bring this to the list.
Don't know how many have pacemaker's but I have had this strange thing
happen ever since I got my pacemaker a year ago. Actually, a week after my BAV replaced.
Here is what happens...with in seconds to a few minutes after I'm on the computer I begin to get palpations, lightheaded, SOB & this weird thing with my eyes. At first, I thought it was strange and then I noticed it is everytime I
get on the computer.(So, as you can imagne I don't get on the computer but a few times a week and for short periods now) In fact having difficulty right now !
I asked a my EP Cardologist about it and she said it shouldn't be the computer. I am also on a pacemaker lisit and a few said that maybe it's the way I sit or hold my hands.
Wondering if anyone else has ever had these issues or any ideas ?

c terra

BAV replaced 11-5-08
Metronic pacemaker total heart block, 100% paced

Hey it's me again...
I was encouraged to bring this to the list.
Don't know how many have pacemaker's but I have had this strange thing
happen ever since I got my pacemaker a year ago. Actually, a week after my BAV replaced.
Here is what happens...with in seconds to a few minutes after I'm on the computer I begin to get palpations, lightheaded, SOB & this weird thing with my eyes. At first, I thought it was strange and then I noticed it is everytime I
get on the computer.(So, as you can imagne I don't get on the computer but a few times a week and for short periods now) In fact having difficulty right now !
I asked a my EP Cardologist about it and she said it shouldn't be the computer. I am also on a pacemaker lisit and a few said that maybe it's the way I sit or hold my hands.
Wondering if anyone else has ever had these issues or any ideas ?

c terra

BAV replaced 11-5-08
Metronic pacemaker total heart block, 100% paced
I would check with the pacemaker people and keep asking until I got some kind of reasonable answer.

But meanwhile, do you think it could be some kind of a migraine?

Maybe it's some kind of magnetic issue? Some kind of battery issue? Do you use a wireless keyboard and/or a wireless mouse? I don't know if that could make a difference.

Can you think what might be different with your computer from the time this began?

Are your arms at an unusual angle?

By the way, I don't have a pacer so these are just wild guesses.

Sorry, I don't have a pacemaker, I can offer some ideas too.
Could it be the size of your monitor? A few years ago we had a very large monitor and we all were getting headaches, nauseous and our eyes would go funny. The problem was that since the monitor was so large it meant extra/more eye movement and the fact we were sitting too close to the monitor, a smaller monitor solved the problem.
Have you tried placing a book, a pillow or both in front of your chest to see if that makes a difference.

When you are sitting at the computer, are there any pressure points on your back or arms that could be blocking circulation or pressing on a nerve?

To rule this out, could you sit on a stool or sit erect without pressing your back or arms on anything?

'AL C'

are you sure it's the computer? why not first try sitting next to the computer for
a half hour while your high school senior starts up and uses the system? if no effect,
then you need to try different postures or maybe keyboard heights. you also
might consider changing the monitor settings, or adding a screen filter.

if there is an effect, then you know there's some sort of electromagnetic
interference. how close are you sitting? are you using a wireless router?

you should try out different configurations....use a friend's computer,
visit an internet cafe, try out the demos at best buy. see if this occurs using
any other system.

I think these are all good suggestions, but just wanted to say when Justin had his pacer, he never had any problems when he used his computer , (or the schools or friends computers )and teens spend ALOT of time on the computer the ONLY thing he ever noticed something "weird" for lack of a better word when he had the pacer was SOME Lazar tag systems. The only thing is I can NOT remember IF we had wireless keyboards or routers when he still had it, so that might make a difference

I just wanted to add, when Justin had issues with Lazar tag, we asked his ped card and EP about it they never heard any connection but they did contact both medtronic (the brand of pacer) and the lazar tag company to see if they had heard any complaints about the same issue. They hadn't BUT everyone said lazar tag was still pretty new AND not alot of people that had pacemakers were kids or probably played alot of lazar tag, so they were keeping the info incase they heard form others about the same thing.
I would think as common as computers are and the fact a large % of people that have pacer probably use computers, IF there were many complaints about it, both the pacer company and maybe even the computer company, would have some records about it.

Thanks so much for all your suggestion ! Some of them I have tried. Like noticing what postion my hand and arms and sitting up start. Doesn't seem to matter.
And yes I have stood behind my husband while he is on the computer and I still have the same experince. And have used a family members computer and their home and still had the same thing happen.
But your ideas are certainly going to be tired again ! Cause it's NO fun being on the computer these days ! Hopefully, it will stop soon !
Thanks again !

c terra
BAV replaced Nov. 5, 2008
Metronic pacemaker Nov. 12, 2008 Complete Heart Block, 100% paced
Mirtal &Tricsupid valve mild to moderate waiting

How odd. I've had a pacer and/or ICD for 26 years and spend a lot of time on computers, but have never had any of the issues you're dealing with. I hope you find the answer! I don't know that I could survive without my computer time every day!

They should be able to interrogate you pacemaker and find out exactly what is going on when your symptoms occur. My son's pacemaker logs every odd beat. My son had those symptoms when his pacemaker was "over sensing his P waves". What that meant was that the pacemaker thought it sensed a heart beat so it would skip that "pace" effectively dropping his heart rate in half to 35 bpm. Not enough for him and he would get light headed, etc. Do you have a bp machine? It usually can give you a heart rate also. Take your bp and heart rate when this feeling occurs. Have you tested this with other computers? I can't imagine what would interfere with your pacer, but it certainly needs to be taken seriously.

Computers and pacers

Computers and pacers

Hello c terra - I've had my Medtronic GEM DR for 10 years and I've never had issues as you describe. I am a electrical engineer and have worked around multiple laptops, large LCD screens, and large server systems pretty much every day since they implanted said device.... I have never had the problems you describe. These devices are indeed subject to EM interference, but they shouldn't be so sensitive as to cause the problems you describe.

Of course nobody can see it's impossible....everyone is different. Just telling you my personal experience as this may provide some guidance in narrowing down the source of your problem.
I see how other folks in the forum have provided valuable suggestions...perhaps you can look into some of those.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back