Coming to terms with the idea of AVR

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaneBerm

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
It's been a while since I posted and while I still don't have a certain date for surgery, I've begun to come to terms with the concept. My second opinions did not agree with the first, but my second echo in 2 months showed just about the same results--still showing severe stenosis (AV area 0.66 cm sq) with trace aortic insufficiency and mildly dilated ascending aorta. The thorn continues to be the fact that I don't have any symptoms and since I met and talked things through with both my GP and Cardio, I've felt so relieved that I'm not even bothered by the things that I thought might be minor symptoms! This whole process has been greatly helped by the fact that I've been on vacation in FL for the last week and a half and will surely change when I return home at the end of this week.

Both of my doctors agreed that I should have the surgery within the next year (from the Aug. diagnosis) and I should make the call as to when. With that said, I'm suddenly much more comfortable thinking that I should do it sooner, rather than later. I have an appointment with the surgeon on Dec. 12and I'll see what he has to add to the process. I remain concerned about how I will do in recovery and whether I will need to spend time in a rehab center after the surgery. My post polio complications will make it very difficult getting back on my feet and walking again. I'm still most concerned about not being able to sit or stand without using my arms, since I don't have the ability to do this otherwise, but I'm very lucky that I don't have any other physical problems and even though I haven't had a cardiac cath yet, the doctors don't think there are any blockages. In otherwords, I'm a great candidate for the surgery, but the recovery is likely to be a bear!

The second echo did show that my valve is bicuspid, so as least I now know the cause for the problem. I'll keep you posted after I've seen the surgeon and I'm still open for any and all ideas that might make recovery a little smoother. Just having this group as a support system is amazing and you have all helped me come so far in the last few months--I hope that I can return the favor down the line. I'll be back online when I get back to cold New England, but in the meantime goodbye from beautiful Ft. Lauderdale...

Jane

Welcome back, Jane:)

It is so good to hear about the peace you feel about the whole thing which is very important with the success of the surgery and with your recovery. Keep it up and keep concentrating on the healthier you will be later, and as this has become peaceful to you now, so the recovery will too. So, take one step at a time and keep us posted, hoping all will go well and smoothly.

Will keep you in my prayers:)

Jane,
Eva offers wise comments about one's perspective. The process is made much easier if one can maintain a positive outlook and look at the positives down the road. Admittedly, I haven't always managed to do so, but perhaps you can learn from my mistakes, right? :).

It sounds like you're in a good place as you make plans and that you're in good medical hands. That's a productive start.

Have a safe trip home.

Even if you do have to spend some time in a rehab center, it won't be that long. Just until they figure out a way for you to be able to care for yourself. They have all sorts of marvelous tools now a days.

Hi Jane. Glad you posted and gave us an update. Getting past the initial shock and coming to terms with the prospect of OHS is a key milestone. It's much easier to focus on what needs to be done, and staying positive, aftert this point so congratulations! One I reached this part, it was the waiting that drove me crazy as now I was psyched to just get it over with so I could move on. Wishing you the best for your surgery and recovery.

Hi Jane.....

I have said this before but one of the hardest things I have ever done is to walk into the hospital for AVR while I had no apparent symptoms? The thing is, nearly three years post op is has become evident that I had symptoms although very minor?My doctors all agreed that the time to have surgery was before the symptoms developed and possible permanent damage was done to the heart?Many have put surgery off for one reason or another and have paid a price?.The time waiting was much harder for me than any part of the surgery or recovery process.

As far as using your arms to get up and down goes it may not be as big of a problem as you think? I do not remember having any problems pushing up out of the recliner or bed but everyone is different?As Ross said, there are many things available to help in recovery?.I wish you the best?.

Hi Jane!
Being in the same boat as you (no symtoms), I totally agree with all the comments so far. I think that I came to grips with it after my consultation with my 2nd cardio. This site has been such a comfort for me.
The shock is bad, the waiting will be worse but all I've been thinking of lately is "this time next year it will all be over and I'll be back to normal!"

Latest posts

Back