Cold meds?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tass

Howdy,

Quick question for everyone. Is it safe to take otc cold meds? I don't have any high blood pressure issues, but I still have the racing heart/sob with activity. Last night I started to get the 'summer cold is coming on' feeling and sinus congestion. A month ago, I would have taken some Tylenol Cold or a Sudafed. Should I just go with meds safe for high blood pressure?

Found a new cardiologist, but still waiting for Kelsey Seybold to forward my records. I'd call my Kelsey GP, but she's blown a couple of other diagnosis' (pl. of diagnosis?) so confidence there is low. I'm thinking I need a new GP also.

Tass

Just to be safe, I'd skip the decongestants. They exacerbate any rhythm issues (heart pounding). Use musinex or Musinex DM and lots of fluids to help with the congestion. Antihistamines are worthless with a cold, but fine if its allergies.

Laurie,

I've never taken the mucinex before. I was given the Rx version years ago and I didn't sleep for 4 days after taking one day's dose. It does not affect heart rhythm? Maybe if I take it first thing in the a.m.?

I have 5 days to get past this...the Reliant trial is next Thursday! I've been having to come to work 1 hour earlier this week and staying late (co-worker on vacation) and I just thought my feeling lousy was having to get up earlier ( I have a mental block about getting up in the 5 a.m. hour!)

Tass

If your sinuses are congested, try a non-drug method of sinus cleansing like a netty pot or one of those seawater based nasal sprays. They're natural and don't back-lash like medicated sprays or oral decongestants. Best of luck.
Take Heart,
Pamela.

Thanks. No meds at the present time. I guess i'll have to start reading labels more.

Chicken soup and vitamin c are on my grocery list!

Tass

Latest posts

Back