CoaguChek XS newbie

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocky

Please ignore the previous post about the SoftClix. I sorted it out and got it working....but...

It breaks the skin, but just barely, even set to its deepest. So I get little blood.

I have followed the directions exactly as they say in the book, and on their website. But to no avail.

So far, this has only tested my patience, and not my blood, and every time I use it, I use up a strip, and they are not cheap. I have tossed away six so far and have had many of the failures, 000, 5, 6.

So, how do you get blood from a Rock?? And once you got it, the best way to get it on the strip?

I await your sage advice.

Hey Rocky,

I've been using the same machine for awhile now. Once you get on to it you will be very pleased with the convenience. It can be an expensive experience to get in the hang of. I too have had the error happen 4 times in a row at the lab one day. Found that sitting down and raising my arms to sample, didn't work...it was dry too..lol. So for me what I do now. Is wash my hands good in warm water, get the hands working to get blood moving. Make sure your lance is making a good enough poke, I use the number 4 stroke. Then I stay standing and have my machine on the edge of table, insert the strip, wait for it to flash the number lot, then wait for it to ok , soon as it starts to count down I poke the side of my left middle finger, give it a little squeeze and produce a good bubble of blood, lay it on the side of the strip with 15 second of incision, the machine checks ok, then comes my INR.

Don't be discouraged, you will get it buddy. I know the strips are expensive up here, I pay about 9 bucks a test. When I bought my machine the pharmacist schooled me on it and made me show her I could do it. Hope this helps, if you search the site for Coaguchek XS testing you will find a lot of good info and directions. Good luck my friend....I see you are from Cranbrook...I played hockey in the 80" for the Trail Smoke Eaters....that's nice country.

Cheers
Doug

I have to get my fingers to look like prunes before I poke. After I wash them in warm soapy water, I wrap my fingers in a damp paper towel for about 10 min.

After you "poke" you can actually scrape your sample onto the test strip. I like using the side of the baby finger.....the skin isn't as tough.

I pay about $8.00 a strip here on the Canadian Prairies.

Thanks Doug,

I tried it one last time for the day, and voila, I got it working. I got an INR of 2.6 which is good as my range is 2.5 to 3.5. I am going to get it done at the Lab first of next week, and do a home test at the same time to compare. My INR has been all over the map, with very little consistency, that is why I am home testing. I had two TIA's a week a part 2 1/2 years ago, and that was a bit scary. So I want to monitor it closely.

I pay about 6 a strip from my pharmacist. I will test once a week, so 25 a month isn't so bad.

Yup, the East Kootenays is a nice place.

Rocky,

Glad to hear you had success, I too had a TIA 2 years before my valve replacement, not sure if it was the native Bi-cuspid valve throwing small clot's or a piece of the calcium breaking free...never really know for sure now. So for prevention I was put on warfarin post TIA, so I had 2 years testing experience with the machine and warfarin before my valve replacement. I test once a week now, I just don't want to take any chances, my TIA gave me 2 months of vertigo...never want that or any symptoms again if I can help it. So the price for me, is what it is... I would be careful with how those strips are handle and delivered, you know they are temperature sensitive, and we are going into -30 C below this week in Alberta...and expiry date is important too....I buy 50 strip bottles at a time...some times I may use a couple more strips if I feel suspect of any changes. You have the same range as I run for INR. I like to be around 2.8 to 3.0, the low end. But never drop below 2.0 at any time. I bring my machine right into the lab with me and pull a test at the same time as a blood draw. Never more than a .2 difference. I feel confident I am staying safe.

Thanks Doug,

I tried it one last time for the day, and voila, I got it working. I got an INR of 2.6 which is good as my range is 2.5 to 3.5. I am going to get it done at the Lab first of next week, and do a home test at the same time to compare. My INR has been all over the map, with very little consistency, that is why I am home testing. I had two TIA's a week a part 2 1/2 years ago, and that was a bit scary. So I want to monitor it closely.

I pay about 6 a strip from my pharmacist. I will test once a week, so 25 a month isn't so bad.

Yup, the East Kootenays is a nice place.

How are you doing with your home testing and INR readings lately ?
Don't be shy ;)

After a 4 week hiatus, I am somewhat back. I haven't read the Softclix posts, but I wonder if these are designed for blood sugar testing, rather than INR testing. If they're designed for blood sugar, there's probably NO WAY that you will get a good drop.

For my testing, I use Unistik 3 Extra. They cost about a quarter each, and they make an incision that is the correct size and depth. I also have 21 gauge lancets (more than I can ever use) that I will be happy to share.

One trick that another on this forum has used (Pellicle?) is to wind thread or dental floss around the fingertip before you incise it. This helps to get the blood to pool, so you'll get a good drop. Weekly testing is a great idea (and I haven't followed my own advice for a month or so -- but I plan to go back to the weekly routine right away. Although it's no excuse, my currently broken wrist makes it just a bit more of an effort to test).

I hope that you're doing fine -- and using the right lancets.

Latest posts

Back