CoaguChek Availability

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Q

QAS

Hello,

The CoaguChek monitor, for home use, is no longer available from Roche in the United States. (Please note, the CoaguChek S version is and will continue to be available for medical professionals). Roche is developing a self test device that may be available in 2006. For those that currently use the CoaguChek at home, the test strips will continue to be available. There are no more CoaguChek instruments being manufactured for home use at this time.

Please call QAS for strip orders, but as for instruments, patient's must chose between the ProTime and the INRatio. For detailed information on these products, please visit www.ptinr.com.

When Roche manufactures a new instrument for home use, QAS will post an announcement. We're sorry for any inconvenience this may cause, and thanks for your continued support!

Lance
QAS

SO, WHY is CoaguChek taking the home test unit OFF the market?

And why won't they sell the S model to individuals?

"Inquiring minds want to know"

'AL Capshaw'

Johnson and Johnson (not short of the odd billion) took the Harmony INR meter off the market too - in order to consentrate on their other interestes !!!! They could afford to buy all their customers new meters from their erstwhile competitors.
http://harmonyinr.com/
Things aint looking overly healthy in this market with only the larger old ProTime with its thirstier blood needs and the Hemosense/INratio; this made by a small company without any other irons in the fire or indeed large assets to bolster it against the trials and tribulations of outrageous fortune! The around $35,000 000 recently raised on the markets is a mere bagatelle which can vanish like mist in the morning sunshine - would hardly have been enough to keep old General Johnson's yacht a movin twixed Monti and Long Island Sound
We have to hope that Roche will deliver a greatly improved meter come the year 2006 - which one assumes will come with completely built in testing fascilities. Competition is everything - long may it remain!

I doubt if this "Roche/USA" development will be relevant to Europe or OZ

No company leaves a market in order to re enter at a later date - no executive with a desire to be around at pension time would permit such a situation to "Develop" - something aint Kosher 'er!

Coaguchek

Coaguchek

Hello,

Roche is not necessarily taking the monitor off the market, as they have simply "sold out" of the older version that is approved for home use. The CoaguChek S is only FDA approved for physician use in the United States. Again, the strips will continue to be available for home testing. Thanks,

Lance
QAS

Just a thought,maybe part of the reason the coagucheck is coming off the market because you are suppose to to a high and low test with every new box you open. That means you are "wasting "2 strips. NOT really- but is the only way to check if you machine is working right. I know it is a good machine- The VNA and my Dr office uses it. The INR in Ratio does self checks with every strip so all of the 12 strips in the box are used to do your INR. I suppose if people have to pay for their strips, they want to us all of them for INR.
Kathy H

Amount of blood.

Amount of blood.

I keep hearing the argument that the Coaguchek is better because the ProTime requires too much blood for a good sample.

Personally, I don't think this is an issue (of course, I have a ProTime). I mean, you already have a hole in your finger, and you have almost 2 minutes to milk the blood out. It really is the difference between a little drop or a big drop. Not that big of a thing really.

I think it is one of those Chevy/Ford type of debates. I own a chevy so therefore all fords are inferior.

Hank

Hank

I agree..We must be the only ones to have an OLD PROTIME.. :D I think what..3 years now....Not only do you have the hole (more of a tiny prick) in your finger..that you have 2 minutes for the blood drop...which... ALSO..before you prick..you have 2 MINUTES..to warm your fingers under warm/hot water... :D Dry off good and prick.. :p the warm/hot water makes mine (drop) flow out.. :D Only takes the most 2 drops... :D ...Have never had a bad reading from Protime for years now. :D ..B/T/W..I looked at my battery..We had this discussion a few weeks back..Mine is still sitting on 1/2 and have not charged for months.. :D ......It's like my Valve..Keeps on ticking..and has traveled with us in our motorhome for 23,500 miles.. :D .. Thank goodness for Home testing.. :D and QAS ..and my Cardio that approved it for me after 2 months post-op Surgery... :) Bonnie

Granbonny said:
I agree..We must be the only ones to have an OLD PROTIME.. :D I think what..3 years now....Not only do you have the hole (more of a tiny prick) in your finger..that you have 2 minutes for the blood drop...which... ALSO..before you prick..you have 2 MINUTES..to warm your fingers under warm/hot water... :D Dry off good and prick.. :p the warm/hot water makes mine (drop) flow out.. :D Only takes the most 2 drops... :D ...Have never had a bad reading from Protime for years now. :D ..B/T/W..I looked at my battery..We had this discussion a few weeks back..Mine is still sitting on 1/2 and have not charged for months.. :D ......It's like my Valve..Keeps on ticking..and has traveled with us in our motorhome for 23,500 miles.. :D .. Thank goodness for Home testing.. :D and QAS ..and my Cardio that approved it for me after 2 months post-op Surgery... :) Bonnie

I have the utmost respect for Bonnie, Hank, and all the other Protime users and their bleeding ability. I had trouble getting a blood drop on my Coaguchek strip when I began to self test in 1997.. I was saved by the capillary tubes and still use them with my new INRatio ( which takes 5 microliters more blood than Coaguchek).

Latest posts

Back