Coagucheck vs InRatio

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the Inratio because that is what the valve company (St Jude) give out for free here in NZ.

Other valve companies give out the other one I think.

At NZ$1000 per machine plus $160 per 12 strips, I was glad to get it free - and it certainly makes life easier when travelling. I just text or email my reading to the GP and they reply with any changes etc

Personally, I don't recall bridgine even when my valve was installed. I had a 1.1 a few months ago and, according to some recent guidelines, just increased my dose for a few days, and came back into range. I haven't had any experience bridging with any meter.

Sounds straightforward - thanks. I'm still curious though about Rob's comment regarding bridging...

pem

Hi pem,

I had to bridge when I was undergoing some testing prior to my latest surgery. I believe it was for the CATH testing. However, you may be required to bridge for any type of minor surgery that requires your INR to be low.

I am not sure how Heprin, or Lovenox works to prevent clotting. I suspect it is different than Coumadin. If so, then I think you need to ask if these machines can accurately detect both methods of anticoagulation. I do know that the Heprin and Lovenox do not linger in the body as long as Coumadin.

Perhaps asking some questions to the Technical, or Nursing staff for these testing unit manufacturers can answer this issue.

Rob

I've successfully used my Coaguchek XS since 2006 and my spouse has used it too for the past three years (lots of tests) without a problem. We like everything about it. It's not the only excellent monitor available it's the one I have experience with.

About heparin.
This is a direct quote from my Coaguchek XS User's Manual under the heading "Notes on Error 7 Measurement"

"The Coaguchek XS PT strip may be used for patients under a combination therapy of oral anticoagulants plus heparin injections. For maximum heparin concentrations which do not interfere with the test, please refer to package insert. Under no circumstances, however should heparinized capillary tubes be used for sample application. If capillaries are used, please use only the dedicated CoaguChek capillary tubes. Be sure to apply the blood drop to the test strip withjin 15 seconds of lancing fingertip."
Unfortunately I didn't retain the package insert.

I hope this helps. The XS is a dandy monitor.

XS and Heparin

XS and Heparin

I've successfully used my Coaguchek XS since 2006 and my spouse has used it too for the past three years (lots of tests) without a problem. We like everything about it. It's not the only excellent monitor available it's the one I have experience with.

About heparin.
This is a direct quote from my Coaguchek XS User's Manual under the heading "Notes on Error 7 Measurement"

"The Coaguchek XS PT strip may be used for patients under a combination therapy of oral anticoagulants plus heparin injections. For maximum heparin concentrations which do not interfere with the test, please refer to package insert. Under no circumstances, however should heparinized capillary tubes be used for sample application. If capillaries are used, please use only the dedicated CoaguChek capillary tubes. Be sure to apply the blood drop to the test strip withjin 15 seconds of lancing fingertip."
Unfortunately I didn't retain the package insert.

I hope this helps. The XS is a dandy monitor. I hope this isn't a double post!

For maximum heparin concentrations which do not interfere with the test, please refer to package insert.
<snip>
I hope this helps. The XS is a dandy monitor.

Thanks, Lance. That is helpful! It sounds like they are saying that there is a heparin concentration above which the test will not be accurate - and that is listed in the insert. I wonder if they mean heparin dosage or heparin serum level (the latter of which would be hard to assess).

The part about "Under no circumstances, however should heparinized capillary tubes be used for sample application." makes perfect sense. A "heparinized capillary tube" would seem to have built in anticoagulation to facilitate capillary action, which would obviously contribute to a false high reading.

Thanks again,
pem

Heparin/Lovenox half-life is around 12 hours (I don't recall the exact effective half-life). That's why you need injections twice a day.

The comment about heparinized capillary tubes is important -- in the labs, they may use tubes with heparin (which is designed to keep the blood from clotting so other tests can be performed) or without (so INRs can be calculated). I don't know of any capillary tubes that have heparin (or why they'd have this), but those designed for INR testing are fairly readily available. I sometimes use the tubes I got for about 20 cents each -- it makes it easier to get enough blood from a finger incision that it can be easily transferred to the little dot on the strip.

I wonder if Alere makes similar claims about their meter. It seems that the two are in competition with each other as their prices tend to move together on Amazon.com (now both less than $1000). I would definitely like to get a meter that functions during bridging.

Quoting from the package insert for the INRatio strips: "In Vitro studies show teh Alere INRatio system to be sensitive to levels of heparin and low molecular weight heparin of 4 U/ml or greater. This test should not be used for patients on heparin therapy." (Low molecular weight heparin is Lovenox). I don't know what the CoaguChek XS package insert says about testing people who are bridging, but it seems, from the INRatio insert, that the INRatio shouldn't be used to test people taking Lovenox. (The 4 U/ml (units per microliter) is a statement referring to the concentration of heparin or lovenox in the blood -- I don't know what a 'therapeutic' dose of heparin/lovenox is desired during bridging, so it is POSSIBLE that the INRatio can be used during bridging but, again, I don't know what the anticipated concentration of lovenox in the blood is during bridging).

In some cases, the need for bridging may be somewhat overstated (I've given the link for Duke's guidelines in other threads).

Protime,

Thanks for looking that up. The question now is, what is the "maximum heparin concentration that does not interfere with the test" on an XS? It's apparently 4 U/ml on the INRatio.

Yes, that seems to be the question. I'm not sure (if I get a chance, I'll see if I can look it up) what the effect of a 'standard' Lovenox injection (it's dosed based on body weight) does to the concentration in the blood -- and, because the half life of Lovenox may vary slightly from one person to another, it may not be easy to tell what a person's ACTUAL U/ml is at any given time. (Of course, if the 'standard' dose is designed to produce a 1 U/ml concentration, and the dose tapers off within 12 hours, then it would be safe to assume that it would be highly unlikely to reach 4 U/ml, even if dosing at appropriate intervals. However, I DON'T know at this time, WHAT the desired concentration is, so I can't help you to choose a meter based on testing while you bridge).

I have been on warfarin for 8+ years and so far have not needed bridging.
I have an INRatio. I'll cross the bridging bridge when it's in front of me. Until then, I'll keep on keepin' on with my INRatio.

Coaguchek has poor customer service if your unit is not accurate. Mine is junk and they refuse to replace it; it has been on average .5 low from the day I got it. I will never accept the Coaguchek again!!

Coaguchek has poor customer service if your unit is not accurate. Mine is junk and they refuse to replace it; it has been on average .5 low from the day I got it. I will never accept the Coaguchek again!!
Todd, here in Canada if I had any problem with my Coaguchek monitor I know that the Roche rep in Quebec would
fix me up right away. There are thousands of these monitors being used in several countries with great accuracy, so
I'm not likely to immediately assume that my monitor is at fault.
Have you tried testing a "normal" person who is not on Coumadin?
Labs use different reagents for testing, it is worth your while to look further into this and find out the root of the issue.
Good LUck.

I've had excellent customer support for my InRatio -- even though I'm not the original owner. The telephone support has been very good.

As far as having a meter that is 'consistently' .5 low (or high) -- I wouldn't mind such a meter AS LONG as the error is consistent. It's better than a meter that is sometimes high, other times low -- if I can reliably KNOW that by adding (or subtracting) a particular number I can get an accurate reading, this would work for me. (However, after paying the usual retail price for a meter, I'd expect it to be ACCURATE right out of the box).

Hook
What are you comparing your Coaguchek against for accuracy? I find customer service as good as it gets. Sorry to learn you're not happy with it. And besides Roche acknowledges monitor is accurate within .8 of lab vein draw.

Here are the absorption dynamics for Lovenox vis-a-vis the bridging discussion in this thread. I found these at http://www.rxlist.com/lovenox-drug.htm on page 6 of the Lovenox data. Sorry the table didn't paste in nicely - just go to the source for a better view.

Thanks,
pem

Pharmacokinetics
Absorption

Pharmacokinetic trials were conducted using the 100 mg/mL formulation. Maximum anti-Factor Xa and anti-thrombin (anti-Factor IIa) activities occur 3 to 5 hours after SC injection of enoxaparin. Mean peak anti-Factor Xa activity was 0.16 IU/mL (1.58 mcg/mL) and 0.38 IU/mL (3.83 mcg/mL) after the 20 mg and the 40 mg clinically tested SC doses, respectively. Mean (n = 46) peak anti-Factor Xa activity was 1.1 IU/mL at steady state in patients with unstable angina receiving 1 mg/kg SC every 12 hours for 14 days. Mean absolute bioavailability of enoxaparin, after 1.5 mg/kg given SC, based on anti-Factor Xa activity is approximately 100% in healthy subjects.

A 30 mg IV bolus immediately followed by a 1 mg/kg SC every 12 hours provided initial peak anti-Factor Xa levels of 1.16 IU/mL (n=16) and average exposure corresponding to 84% of steady-state levels. Steady state is achieved on the second day of treatment.

Enoxaparin pharmacokinetics appear to be linear over the recommended dosage ranges [see DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION]. After repeated subcutaneous administration of 40 mg once daily and 1.5 mg/kg once-daily regimens in healthy volunteers, the steady state is reached on day 2 with an average exposure ratio about 15% higher than after a single dose. Steady-state enoxaparin activity levels are well predicted by single-dose pharmacokinetics. After repeated subcutaneous administration of the 1 mg/kg twice daily regimen, the steady state is reached from day 4 with mean exposure about 65% higher than after a single dose and mean peak and trough levels of about 1.2 and 0.52 IU/mL, respectively. Based on enoxaparin sodium pharmacokinetics, this difference in steady state is expected and within the therapeutic range.

Although not studied clinically, the 150 mg/mL concentration of enoxaparin sodium is projected to result in anticoagulant activities similar to those of 100 mg/mL and 200 mg/mL concentrations at the same enoxaparin dose. When a daily 1.5 mg/kg SC injection of enoxaparin sodium was given to 25 healthy male and female subjects using a 100 mg/mL or a 200 mg/mL concentration the following pharmacokinetic profiles were obtained [see Table 13].

Table 13 : Pharmacokinetic Parameters* After 5 Days of 1.5 mg/kg SC Once Daily Doses of Enoxaparin Sodium Using 100 mg/mL or 200 mg/mL Concentrations
Concentration Anti-Xa Anti-IIa Heptest aPTT
Amax (IU/mL or Δ sec) 100 mg/mL 1.37 (±0.23) 0.23 (±0.05) 105 (±17) 19( ±5)
200 mg/mL 1.45 (±0.22) 0.26 (±0.05) 111 (±17) 22 (±7)
90% CI 102-110% 102-111%
tmax** (h) 100 mg/mL 3 (2-6) 4 (2-5) 2.5 (2-4.5) 3 (2-4.5)
200 mg/mL 3.5 (2-6) 4.5 (2.5-6) 3.3 (2-5) 3 (2-5)
AUC (ss) (h*IU/mL or Δ h* sec) 100 mg/mL 14.26 (±2.93) 1.54 (±0.61) 1321 (±219)
200 mg/mL 15.43 (±2.96) 1.77 (±0.67) 1401 (±227)
90% CI 105-112% 103-109%
*Means ± SD at Day 5 and 90% Confidence Interval (CI) of the ratio
**Median (range)

(Of course, if the 'standard' dose is designed to produce a 1 U/ml concentration, and the dose tapers off within 12 hours, then it would be safe to assume that it would be highly unlikely to reach 4 U/ml, even if dosing at appropriate intervals. However, I DON'T know at this time, WHAT the desired concentration is, so I can't help you to choose a meter based on testing while you bridge).

So based on the data pasted above: "After repeated subcutaneous administration of the 1 mg/kg twice daily regimen, the steady state is reached from day 4 with mean exposure about 65% higher than after a single dose and mean peak and trough levels of about 1.2 and 0.52 IU/mL, respectively."

It appears that with therapeutic dosages, we don't see levels much higher than 1.2 IU/ml. So based on the INRatio insert info provided by someone above: "In Vitro studies show teh Alere INRatio system to be sensitive to levels of heparin and low molecular weight heparin of 4 U/ml or greater. This test should not be used for patients on heparin therapy." (source: http://www.hemosense.com/docs/0200509vC_INRatio1and2_PackageInsert.pdf). Based on the numbers, it seems that INRatio could be used during bridging. On the other hand, it clearly states that the test should not be used for patients on heparin therapy. I guess my question would be, does "heparin therapy" include the use of heparin for bridging, or does it imply higher levels of heparin?

According to the CoaguChek XS PT test strip insert: "The CoaguChek XS PT Test is insensitive to low molecular weight heparins (LMWH) up to 2 IU anti-factor Xa activity/mL." (Source: http://www.apsfa.org/docs/XS Strip Package Insert.pdf). So, here, it seems that they have actually verified that the CoaguChek strips are insensitive to levels up to 2 IU/ml, which suggests they would be suitable for bridging.

To recap:
* observed therapeutic levels of the "anti-factor XA activity" during heparin therapy are between about 0.5 and 1.2 IU/ml
* Coaguchek says their strips can be used up to 2 IU/ml
* INRatio says their strips cannot be used over 4 IU/ml

The last statement is difficult to interpret, because to say that you can't use INRatio strips for levels over 4 IU/ml does not say that you can or should use them for levels under 4 IU/ml. One interpretation here is that the INRatio strips are actually more robust to higher levels of Lovenox than the Coaguchek strips, but that Roche (the CoaguChek company) is more willing to go out on a limb than is Alere (the INRatio company). That's just one interpretation.

So from this, I would feel pretty comfortable using CoaguChek during bridging, and somewhat comfortable using INRatio strips. I will seek more information from the INRatio folks to get to the root of this.

Hope this helps. Please check my sources and logic.

Thanks,
pem

My Coaguchek has indeed worked perfectly in over 4 years of use and whenever I have comparison tested with the
hospital blood lab the results have been exactly the same.
The allowed variance according to Roche guidelines is .2
Sorry that I don't have any bridging experiences to share, but I don't foresee that as an issue anyway.

Latest posts

Back