Coagucheck home testing

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sensei Ade

Hi all,
Just a word to say that for the past 5 months I've been using the Coagucheck home testing kit and it's really good. Soooo much easier than having to lug myself down to the blood clinic. Keeping the INR in range has always been a bit of a challenge for me. I'm on 11 and 12mg (alternating) of Warfarin and my INR hovers around 2.1ish despite the relatively high dose. Thankfully I have an On-X valve.. The big no-no for me is chickpeas, this just hammers my INR because of the Vit K content...!! But I'd recommend the Coagucheck system; it's great once you get the hang of it. Best regards:)

Glad to learn you're happy with your Coaguchek. Do you have the "S" or the "XS"? I never realized chickpeas were so high in K. How much were you eating? I just eat what I want and dose the diet.
Until recently I was on 10, 11, 10 to keep me in my range of 3.5-4.0.
I don't know where I'd be without my XS and know I couldn't get along without it.
Happy,successful testing.

In case anyone doesn't realize it - the S has been discontinued. It won't be supported by Roche after October. Strips won't be made after then (if they're available that long). The S was not intended for self-testers, and is said to REQUIRE calibration. If you have an S - upgrade to an XS or InRatio (also a good meter), and if you see an S for sale, RUN (don't walk) away from the vendor.

In case anyone doesn't realize it - the S has been discontinued. It won't be supported by Roche after October. Strips won't be made after then (if they're available that long). The S was not intended for self-testers, and is said to REQUIRE calibration. If you have an S - upgrade to an XS or InRatio (also a good meter), and if you see an S for sale, RUN (don't walk) away from the vendor.

Yes, we all realize that the very OLD model "S" is discontinued.... and yes, it was intended for home use.
I'm quite sure that in the UK the only unit available is the newer XS especially since it is made in Europe.

I'm not sure we "all" realize this. And, no, according to Roche, the S was not intended for home use -- in fact, when I tried to get information about mine, they send me something by FedEx saying that it was NOT intended for home use. I made the warning because there are still people on eBay and elsewhere trying to sell these meters.

This wasn't a warning for the person who made the original post -- it was for anyone else who may be interested in self-testing.

Why the h_ll dont the clinics in north america use something like the Coaguchek XS?

I had this butcher of a lab tech 2 weeks in a row, about 3-4 weeks ago. She did a draw from the right arm the first week and the left arm the second week. Both arms were bruised and scared at the puncture site. I hope I do not have her assigned again. A finger poke with the Couguchek XS sounds way more appealing to me, with an obvious great outcome. I mean look at all of you here managing your own INR!

My family Doc is from Egypt. He said when I'm released from the ACT clinic and passed over to him, he will accept the readings from my future home monitor and adjust as required. I've been practicing adjusting my own INR ever time I get the lab results and set my weekly dosage. I've been using the "Online Coumadin Dosing Calculator" which you VR folks recommended. I think I'm ready for the big leagues, as I come close to the ACT clinics recommended weekly dosage.

I guess I'm lucky here. My ACT clinic uses the portable meters (forgot whether it is ProTime or CoagUCheck) with a simple finger-stick. The only thing to decide is which finger this time. . .

I home monitor, I have a Coagucheck monitor provided to me from Phillips remote cardio. I have to call in my INR to this agency who in turn contacts my Doctor to adjust my dose. Which is at this time, 11mg 4 times a week and 12 mg the other three days. I want to cut out the middle man but do not know how. Can my Doctor prescribe a monitor? Any information you can give me will be much appriciated. I would really like to continue with the home monitoring.

I'm not sure we "all" realize this. And, no, according to Roche, the S was not intended for home use -- in fact, when I tried to get information about mine, they send me something by FedEx saying that it was NOT intended for home use. I made the warning because there are still people on eBay and elsewhere trying to sell these meters.

This wasn't a warning for the person who made the original post -- it was for anyone else who may be interested in self-testing.

None of this is really relevant to the original poster or the theme of this thread; he was just sharing his
great news.
BTW, We DO have members who have tested successfully with the OLD Coaguchek model S for many years before
they moved onto the new and improved Model XS. ......way, way before you started home testing. ;)
I'm sure that 99 % of the VR home testers have obtained their monitors through a doctor with a prescription, or through the
Coag services and insurance companies.
So, moving right along......:)

Why the h_ll dont the clinics in north america use something like the Coaguchek XS?

I had this butcher of a lab tech 2 weeks in a row, about 3-4 weeks ago. She did a draw from the right arm the first week and the left arm the second week. Both arms were bruised and scared at the puncture site. I hope I do not have her assigned again. A finger poke with the Couguchek XS sounds way more appealing to me, with an obvious great outcome. I mean look at all of you here managing your own INR!

My family Doc is from Egypt. He said when I'm released from the ACT clinic and passed over to him, he will accept the readings from my future home monitor and adjust as required. I've been practicing adjusting my own INR ever time I get the lab results and set my weekly dosage. I've been using the "Online Coumadin Dosing Calculator" which you VR folks recommended. I think I'm ready for the big leagues, as I come close to the ACT clinics recommended weekly dosage.

Yo, Bruce. :) Yes the clinics in north america use these monitors all the time, but in Canada the actual "clinics" are
not always close enough for our liking or our needs, so we can just buy our own monitors, how cool is that? $500.
I believe that in the past I have given you the contact info for Roche, get the pamphlet and show it to your doc,
if he hesitates, come on over here and I will be happy to poke you ;)

The clinics are probably using the CoaguChek XS or one of the InRatio meters. (Both InRatio models are easy to use, and use the same strips). ProTime meters require more blood and seem to have fallen out of favor, from what I can tell. All four (CoaguChek XS, InRatio and InRatio 2, and all the ProTime meters) have quality control checks and automatic coding built into the 'strips.' The learning curve is probably lowest for the CoaguChek and InRatio - but a good tech - or even a home tester - should be just fine testing with any of these meters.

And, as many have noted, it's great to be able to self-test.

(Bina -- yes, I'm sure many were testing with the CoaguChek S - and getting good results; but Roche seems to have wanted the quality control tests run frequently when using these meters)

Hi Bina

You big tease, offering me a poke!. LOL!

In Cow town when I mention to the lab techs that a finger prick from something like the Couagucheck XS is all that is required to measure INR, all I get is a blank stare. I'm surprised we are still not riding horses pulling buggies out here in the Canadian west.

Sorry I deviated from the original intention/dialog of the thread, just got carried away. So.....what about the NFL lock out. HeHe!

Good question--why don't hospitals use the "finger stick" method.
I suspect OHIP doesn't cover the costs of monitors and strips used in a hospital setting.
Home monitoring costs are tax deductible to home users. These funds come from the federal government so provincially OHIP is off the hook financially.

Sensei Ade (I hope I got that right).
What part of England do you live in?
Has Roche recommended that you comparison test your XS with a vein draw every 6 months?
I've done that since I got my first meter years ago.

Last edited:
Hi Bina

You big tease, offering me a poke!. LOL!

In Cow town when I mention to the lab techs that a finger prick from something like the Couagucheck XS is all that is required to measure INR, all I get is a blank stare. I'm surprised we are still not riding horses pulling buggies out here in the Canadian west.

Sorry I deviated from the original intention/dialog of the thread, just got carried away. So.....what about the NFL lock out. HeHe!

Well, where I live people DO ride their horses and take out the buggy on a Sunday drive, but that doesn't mean
that everybody needs to be uneducated about their own healthcare. Of course, without the internet, and this
amazing group of people here, I wouldn't have known about the home monitors so soon.

To try and get a monitor, Firstly: Don't deal with an arrogant Doctor.
Secondly: know what you are talking about.
Thirdly: offer to parallel test for a while (like Lance said).
Fourth: point out that this finger sticking stuff is old news in Europe and we need to get with it.

Hi Bina

Fortunately my Doc [imported from Egypt] out here in the wild west is familiar with home testing. I see no problem getting what is required to buy a Couaguchek XS. Does it come in twilight blue or perhaps flaming red? HeHe! OK getting serious, do we need a prescription? This Doc is very willing to work with me and my future Coagucheck XS.

My INR today was 1.7. The wild west ACT clinic finally matched me to what the "coumadin online calculator" has been spitting out as a recommended 7 day dosage. Jeeze, one day we will step into the 80's or 90's!@#% The"coumadin online calculator"program is great!

Do the folks in the horse drawn buggy have to stoop and scoop when One Eye or Ole Sway Back makes a mess? LOL! Just so you know, I wouldn't be kissing any horses, not that your into that kind of thing. They are canceling Rodeos out here cause of a Horse Herpes epidemic. Heck, what's next swine flu? Thinking it's time we separate the lonely cowboys from the live stock.HaHa! What's this got to do with anticoagulation? Absolutely nothing, that is unless 3 legged Flash succeeds in kicking me while on warfarin!

bdryer, yes you need a prescription from your doctor, I got mine from the Cardiologist I see. My GP doctor isn't really on broad with this home monitor, so consider yourself lucky for having a doctor who is willing to work with you on getting a home monitor. Go for it!

I think it all boils down to living in the Western Provinces of Canada, kind of slow in "getting with it".

Oh yea, if it helps mentioned to your doctor the monitor is licensed by Health Canada.

Last edited:
Regarding the question of WHY hospitals don't use the finger stick method -- the first likely answer is that they think the hospital's lab can get a more accurate test than you can with a finger stick. (Actually, the one time I had a hospital do a test, I got a 2.92 -- values to 1/100 of a point -- my meter only gives me accuracy to 1/10 of a point. A blood draw may be the gold standard for INR testing. The other answer is more cynical -- they can charge more for a blood draw than for a finger stick with a meter.

I've been able to buy my meters on eBay and didn't need a prescription (although this site does NOT support getting meters from any other than authorized sources).

Being able to test at home is EMPOWERING. My first 50 tests, I felt so great about being able to monitor and manage this important aspect of my life on warfarin.

Hi Bina

Fortunately my Doc [imported from Egypt] out here in the wild west is familiar with home testing. I see no problem getting what is required to buy a Couaguchek XS. Does it come in twilight blue or perhaps flaming red? HeHe! OK getting serious, do we need a prescription? This Doc is very willing to work with me and my future Coagucheck XS.

My INR today was 1.7. The wild west ACT clinic finally matched me to what the "coumadin online calculator" has been spitting out as a recommended 7 day dosage. Jeeze, one day we will step into the 80's or 90's!@#% The"coumadin online calculator"program is great!

Do the folks in the horse drawn buggy have to stoop and scoop when One Eye or Ole Sway Back makes a mess? LOL! Just so you know, I wouldn't be kissing any horses, not that your into that kind of thing. They are canceling Rodeos out here cause of a Horse Herpes epidemic. Heck, what's next swine flu? Thinking it's time we separate the lonely cowboys from the live stock.HaHa! What's this got to do with anticoagulation? Absolutely nothing, that is unless 3 legged Flash succeeds in kicking me while on warfarin!

Yup, you will need a RX from your friendly Doctor. My doc was right on board too.
Then give Roche a call and start the ball rolling. You will get the pretty blue one that I have, hopefully.
There is a pic on my profile.
With my 5 years doing INR, have never needed the dosing calculator....pretty rock stable INR here. Must be all
the horse smooching that I have been doing. Lordie, I miss my sweet old paint horse with his velvety soft pink lips,
ooops I digress.
Hey don't be shy to scoop up the meadow muffins, they make great natural fertilizer. ;)

Hi Bina

Hmmmm, so old paint has velvety lips, eh? OK, I'm going to be honest. I will never attempt to smooch a horse on the lips no matter how lushes they may be. I'd be afraid that the horse may bite off the whistle hanging from the draw strings of my Stetson!

Not only do meadow muffins make great fertilizer, they make even better Frisbees when dried out [it's hard to pick up a freshie], especially if a high fiber diet is part of the composition! Pure oats make the natural Frisbees explode on launch.

OK down to business, need a prescription from my Doc....check. Do the occasional parallel comparison against periodic lab results....check. The device comes in blue...check. Hey I'm catching on. Do you get a free hat or T when you drop the $500.00?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back