Chills/Night Sweats after Three Weeks

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iheart

I'm three weeks post surgery today. I had an aneurysm removed and AVR on April 18th. All-in-all things have been going very good for me. But here's one really annoying part of this recovery--every evening I get chills, like clockwork. Usually just after eating dinner. If I take an Advil the chills seem to diminish, and I can usually get some rest. During the night I also experience "night sweats" in bed. I've never had surgery prior to this and wondering if this is a common symptom (perhaps due to blood loss during surgery--anemia) or if I should be concerned. I also have slight kidney impairment, and perhaps this is contributing to these issues.

I'm feeling so good during the day that it really takes the wind out of my sails when it feels like I'm getting sick every night. I realize I'm only three weeks out, but I was hoping this would have ended by now. Anyone else have these kinds of issues after surgery? If so, how long did they stick around for you?
thanks!
Ron

I would suggest you contact your doctor or your doctor's nurse. I have had 4 surgeries and never experienced what you are. Most OHS have very little blood loss.

I usually get the chills when I have a low grade infection, such as the flu. Recently I got a severly infected hand from a dog bite and before the antiobiotics kicked in I got weak and had chills at the end of the day.

If you are on warfarin/coumadin, you should not be taking Advil w/o a doctor's recommendation and instruction.

I had a fever after getting home and also night sweats. I did not have an infection. Is your temp over 101? That seems to be the magic number as I was told if it goes over that, I needed to go in right away. Apparently, postpericardiotomy syndrome is the most common cause per many websites. If this is the case, like it was likely for me too, it will go away on its own. Mine went away after week 3. My surgeons office gave me a rule of thumb, they said a fever that does not go away with Tylenol is in fact an infection. Apparently if you're infected your body knows better and keeps temp high regardless. Anyway, this was my experience, you should probably talk it over with your doc's office. I wouldn't worry much though. I did and it was for nothing.

As someone who almost died from endocarditis I respectfully disagree with our clumsy mate above. Fever and night sweats are cause for concern that you may have an infection , call your doctor!

I agree with ski girl. I have been through 3 OHS and haven't had night sweats or chills..If I did, I would contact my cardio, and probably the surgical nurse's number on the folder I got from the hospital, if I had any issues after surgery! The only time I sweated, I was in the hospital after my 3rd surgery, and my roommate needed the room to be warm and I was too warm, so I sweated on my bed, which is covered in plastic under the sheet.
I got up a lot in those few nights after my surgery.
Call your doctor!

I did recommend to talk to the doctor above, so what would you disagree with Gail and Ski? I did about each issue I had when I had it, which I describe above by describing what the surgeon's office said to me. But worrying won't help, could be perfectly fine. Don't panic, but yes, talk to your doctor. Panic and worry will not help even if you do have an issue, it will certainly make you miserable though and hopefully and even likely, you are fine. Hopefully you'll find reassurance with your doctor and if it is an issue, addressing it early is the right path. Best of luck and positive wishes for you.

Ah clumsy it was the 'I wouldn't worry too much' bit I disagreed with. I 'didn't worry too much' (actually, I didn't worry at ALL) about my fever and sweats for three whole days and if I had waited one more day to see my GP I would not be here to disagree with you. :)

We valvers are much more prone to endocarditis than non-valvers, therefore fevers are something to be worried about - indeed you could be perfectly fine, but then again . . . .

Thanks ski girl, clumsydancer Gail, and Tom. I agree, it's probably time to contact my doctor. However, I do need to clarify, there is no fever involved with this -- I know that's weird considering I get hot enough to be covered in sweat at night--but that's the way its been. I guess that's why I haven't gone to see a doc yet or worried too much about it. It's a big nuisance to feel weak/chilled every night, sometimes even go to bed shivering, and then get hot in the middle of the night, but I wake up in the morning and I am OK. I generally have good days and I would say my healing is on par, otherwise. I've had a couple of nights where the symptoms were not as intense, and I guess I was hoping this would just fade away on its own. Weird, I know. I guess everyone is different.

Everyone is different for sure. I got to a point of worrying about stuff it really affected my psyche, and since positive thinking has a lot to do with our health, this can be bad. My surgeon's nurse practitioner, whom I've grown to respect a lot, gave me this bit of advise. She said my job is to report everything and her job was to worry if it was needed. That's pretty sound advise I got and it helped a lot. My issues did subside and I hope to not have anymore, but if I do, rest assured I will report it, and try not to worry too much. Sounds easier than it is, but its rather important.

I've read a few experiences like yours and it appears it cleared up for them on its own. But, you should inform your surgeon of everything, regardless. Let them sort out if there's a need to be worried and save yourself the stress :)

I'm now nine weeks post-surgery, but in the first five or so weeks after getting a mechanical valve and Dacron ascending aortia, I had night sweats. I'd go through three or four t-shirts a night, and for several weeks I slept on towels, which I could change, so I could avoid sleeping on wet sheets. This started in the first week after surgery; I received no treatment for the sweats; they went away, and when they did, I didn't feel any better or any worse. My doctors had little to say about the sweats. Here's a link I found on the subject: http://www.cts.usc.edu/hpg-sleeping.html

Jim, thanks so much for this post, and the link. I didn't think I could be the only one that had this symptom.

Because of the stupid night sweats, the last few days have been kinda scary; went to my family dr. to have blood tests done b/c of the night sweats and occasional chills. Seems my white cells were just slightly elevated, just outside the normal range. So cardiologist was called, and he got some blood cultures started immediately. Of course the fear was endocarditis. They also did an echo on me, and said my new valve looked great--no signs of trouble. I saw my cardiologist this morning and he sez I'm healing well, look good, and he doesn't think this is anything to worry about. Because my family doctor prescribed Cipro, and I took a couple of them, I will have to do another blood test next week just to make sure everything's cool (antibiotics can skew blood cultures).

I should have gone in earlier to see my doctor. But it's looking like everything's good. It's been a month since my surgery and my cardiologist cut back my blood pressure meds, something I'm happy about. I will say I didn't need this scare, and I hope that's all it is!

I am glad that you went the doctor and found out what it was. I was going to suggest getting tested for diabetes, I get the night sweats bad in the summer months. My diabtese is genetic and triggered by surgery. So, the culprit was those white cells, had that too for a short time. It happens after surgery. Keep hanging in there and keep us posted on your recover. Hugs for today. :)

Latest posts

Back