Checking in after a long time

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S Walker

Hello to all - I haven't contributed virtually anything to this forum since joining two years ago, but I have benefited greatly and want to thank everyone for their informative posts on all subjects.

I joined after being told I would need surgery to deal with the severe regurg in both my mitral and tricuspid valves. This after 40 years of comparative good health following a pioneering ASD repair in 1962 and pericardectomy in 1973. I was totally shocked at the diagnosis and found this site hugely comforting and helpful. I had already spent a couple of years on restricted fluids and maxed out all the drugs. Incredibly the mitral regurg has improved to moderate, so surgery has been put off.

Now, however, I have developed electrical problems - likely due to scarring from the original surgery so many years ago. An ablation a few days ago didn't work - there are just too many circuits shorting out in there, so I am going to get the whole AV node zapped next week. I have to say I am feeling pretty lousy - my chest and lungs feel extremely sore - sort of like I've walked up a mountain - and I'm short of breath. Quite a shock after being able to walk 10km without problem a few months ago.

Just wondering if others have had this lung discomfort after an ablation procedure - I'm hoping it will go away in a day or two. I also notice that where my tachycardia was regular before and not uncomfortable really, it is disorganized now - coming in wave sets - three or four normal beats and then a big one that causes pressure in my chest and neck and sort of bounces me around. At night it's particularly intrusive. I assume it will all be sorted and I'll go back to a new normal when the pacemaker takes over.

Anyone relate?

Suzanne

Just a quick update for you Ross - my breathing problem is technically described as dyspnoea, secondary to atelectasis in my right lung most likely due to the first ablation intubation. I did not know that it is quite common to get collapsed alveoli when ventilated, but that seems to be what has happened.

So next time, if someone writes in with this complaint, you might be able to enlighten them as to the possibility. The collapse shows up on a simple chest Xray and there is nothing particular to do about it if it isn't extreme - using a spirometer can help (maybe I should just buy a vuvuzela!) and walking to expand the lungs once you feel a bit better. Anyhow, it will repair itself with a bit of time.

Who knew? This wasn't one of the 'complications' they cited in the preamble to the ablation procedures.

Bye for now
Suzanne

Hon it sounds like you may have a partially paralyzed diaphragm. I have Atelectasis in the bases of both lungs and a paralyzed left diaphragm. What happens is, the blood pools in the base of your lungs and the oxygenated and non oxygenated blood just sits there, making breathing and maintaining a proper O2 saturation level nearly impossible.

I can spend all of my life trying to enlighten people to the possible complications of OHS, but I'm afraid that it falls on deaf ears for the most part.

It is not too common here in the states to intubate someone for an ablation. I think it is usually only done if a complication occurs (re: emergency), so you probably won't find too many people who have experienced your lung issue from that. Also, I don't know what your Dr.s have told you, but I was told it can take up to six months for you to be able to tell the full effect of an ablation. I've dealt with rhythm problems my whole life. I had my first ablation many, many years ago for WPW. I then had two more ablations last year. The first one didn't work and so I went back for round two a couple of months later. The Dr. who did the ablation didn't feel as though he got the area that was causing my problems, but after about 4 months, when scar tissue had formed, I had a noticeable change in my rhythm problems. They are now much more tolerable. I'd have to give some serious thought to zapping my AV node this soon out...it would really have to be a last resort for me. Best of luck to you.

An update from me…
Apparently, here it is quite common to put people out who are getting a TEE and then a mapping prior to ablation which is what I had originally. For the second ablation I didn't have a general anaesthetic, only 'conscious sedation'. Being dependent on the pacemaker now I was surprised to find my resting heartrate had gone back up to between 85 and 90bpm - my pre-ablation rate! I didn't think this was going to happen. My lung is getting better - no fluid in there now, and less gasping required to feel I am breathing. But I am definitely concerned and confused about the higher heartrate. Maybe my pacemaker needs adjusting? or?
I have put a call in to my electrocardiologist but I haven't managed to connect with him yet. I am supposed to be flying to Europe in just a few days, so I am crossing all fingers hoping there won't be anything to be done until I get back. Everything takes a while here in Canada, so I expect that will be the case - just hope the flying won't be an issue. I have to say that overall, I am not feeling my pre-ablation self yet.

Again, thanks for your responses. I am most grateful to hear about your experiences. I see there are a number of people dealing with electrical issues in the past short while - must be catching!!

I'm glad your breathing is getting better. Hopefully it will be back to normal soon. I don't know how your pacemaker is set, but when Justin had his it would just keep his heart rate from getting too low, if it dropped below 40 it would start pacing, but it didn't do anything if it went higher than normal.
Did your doctors know about your flying to Europe when they did the ablation this week?

Hi Lyn,
My pacemaker originally did the same thing as your son Justin's - just kicked in when I got too slow. But zapping the AV node means I don't have any of my own beating capabilities (or so it was explained to me), so the pacemaker does it all - going no lower than 60 and no higher than 130. This is why I am so weirded out by it being more or less constantly at between 80+ and 90. It makes no sense on the basis of info I was given. And yes, my doctor, knew I was supposed to go which is one of the reasons he put me on the list and squeezed me in to his busy schedule. I was feeling pretty crap after the first one though so maybe that was partly why as well. He definitely was of the opinion that it would be no problem to fly.
You just have to go with the expert advice sometimes I guess! And in this case, I'm happy to do so.
I hope he will be of the same opinion once he is aware of the latest info. I'll keep you posted.

Back