Cath this Friday & nerves are ramping up.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marc_kowal

This Friday I go in for the Pre-op Cath, and hopefully they find nothing else wrong with the heart. As it stands right now, I'll be having the BAV replacement surgery (going with a tissue valve), fix an old aneurysm, and fix a pseudo-aneurysm. The doctor still has to set a date for surgery, but the nerves are starting to kick in.

Besides worrying about surviving the actual surgery, I worry that I may actually feel worse after surgery then I do now. I show no symptoms, am able to do things that the doctors are surprised at and I just feel pretty good over-all. I know it's just nerves and surgery is the correct and only option, but it doesn't make it any easier. Any one else felt like this before their surgery?

hi marc, yep to all above,am sure most will agree the waiting is the worst bit, nobody was more scared than me, but i found as i got nearer the date the nerves got less,you will be just fine, and think of the bedbath by the loverly nurses lol

I'm in the same boat...no symptoms, but mitral valve repair surgery is scheduled for Feb 28. My cath is a week from Friday (he said I wouldn't even need one if I hadn't smoked when I was younger...grrr...I knew it was a stupid habit) My surgeon did a great job of getting me on the "I need this surgery now" band wagon, and calming my nerves. However, my last appointment with him was in November, so his words are starting to wear off and I'm feeling a bit anxious again. I've found that reading all of the success stories here helps a lot. I also try to remember that what is going to happen is going to happen regardless of whether I spend the time leading up to it worrying or enjoying every minute I can with my little girl. It's going to be hard for her to understand why I can't pick her up for awhile or why I'm too tired to play. And for those times when I just can't focus on anything else, my GP prescribed some anti-anxiety meds. (I happen to have a bigger fear of medication than of the surgery, so I haven't been able to work up the nerve to take them :). The fear of meds is what has me most concerned at this point because I know I will be on several after the surgery. Also very concerned about the cath for the same reason...I've never been given that sedative before. As far as what they will find during my cath...I'm not stressing over that...to me OHS is OHS whether they have one thing to do while they are in ther or 10...it's still scary stuff. My surgeon won't even know if they are repairing or replacing one valve or two until the TEE they are going to do after they put me out but before the actual surgery. Hang in there!

I have a feeling you will calm down when the surgery is imminent. My wife asked my GP to prescribe me something for nerves in that last week. But like others here have commented, I was far more sedate the in the days just before the surgery than I was the week before for my pretesting and CT scan. I was a bit of a basket case that week.

Best of luck!

Good luck with the caths.
Most of us found we worried way too much about the cath and were sorry for the wasted energy. :)
I sincerely hope it goes easily and smoothly for you and you get good report.
Let us know.

Hey Marc,
Same history as yours. Surgery is complex but routine. Everything will work out for the better. I am 7 months post-op and i am feeling just fine. Even though I thought I did not have any symptoms, it became very clear after 6 or 7 months that I did indeed experience symptoms but I had no idea that is what they were as I did not know any better. After full recovery I can definitely tell the difference.
Hang in there and think of all the good times ahead. If you are married, it is more difficult on the family than yourself. So, my advice would be to be brave for all of you and let them not see you are worried.

Me too! This Friday there must be a special on cardiac caths. This is the last of the tests I require before I can schedule a visit with Dr. Adams at Mt. Sinai. So far, all the docs seem to think I'd be a good candidate for a repair (MVP w/ moderate to severe regurgitation and just the very beginning of symptom onset). I'm actually thinking the cath might be good for my general nervousness...I figure if they can thread that tube all the way into my heart and the sky doesn't fall in, maybe there's something to all this! Good luck, I'll be sending you good thoughts as they turn on the happy juice.

Marc, you asked if anyone else felt like this. Marc, almost everyone feels like this; it is very normal. I had never been in a hospital as a patient let alone suffered a major illness. Finding yourself preparing for surgery seems unreal at times and daunting. I felt much the same, Marc and I was experiencing a lot of symptoms that were disrupting my life every day throughout the day. After surgery, you may look back and realize that you were also experiencing symptoms that you just wrote off as getting older or being out of shape.

Yes, death is a possibility during surgery but it is a very very small one. With a heart valve that is seriously compromised, however, decline and premature death are certain. I and others often say this but it is no less true for the repitition. You are likely to be surprised at how well things go and that your fears and anxieties are likely to be proven unfounded. This is a big change in the course of one's life, Marc, so feeling anxious is only natural. Let us know how we can help.

Larry

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I've been preparing myself for surgery since they first discovered my bicuspid valve 10 years ago (which just happened to be be on my one year wedding anniversary)). It still doesn't make it any easier now that time is really here. I'm sure everything will come out ok, it just feels good to vent.

~Marc

I remember lying on the gurney waiting to go into the OR for my HVR and thinking "Maybe I should ask for another opinion before I have this surgery". I think we all have considerable anxiety before the surgery (while it may be routine for the surgeon, it's still pretty unusual for the patient).

Ten weeks after the surgery, I'm glad I did it, the recovery was not that bad and I already have more energy than I did before the surgery. The improvement in my stamina is the biggest surprise to me since I really didn't think I had any symptoms before the surgery. An additional benefit is losing 15 pounds during the recovery process (although their are probably easier ways to lose weight than OHS).

Marc, I learned about my stenotic valve when I was 50. It was such a shock to learn that I had a serious heart problem that I would live with for years to come during which nothing could be done but periodic monitoring. At 59, the stenosis became serious and my valve was replaced. When my cardiologist told me that it was time for surgery, I was surprised that it hit me so hard, after all, I had known it was a possibility for almost a decade. Still, that change from possibility to certainty was a very difficult pill to swallow. I found a lot of comfort here as I hope you will also.

Larry

When I walked into the set from Star Trek (the cath lab), everyone was really nice. They all introduced themselves. (I'm Sue, I'm the nurse, I'm Bill, the assistant and so on) I looked at them and said 'I'm Dave. I'm your patient'. silence. BIG laughs. You'll do great.

Had the Cath. done today and the results came out great! No disease or plaque build-up they could detect. They went in through the groin and it's only slightly sore. Was a little surprised when they told me I was in for a "free shave". Would've have been alright if the young, cute, nurse did it , except I got Funny Man Tony who kept telling me jokes as he's shaving me! :p I was awake the whole time, and they gave me a mild sedative to relax me. Had to lie down flat for about 2 1/2 hrs and then they gradually sat me up, made sure I was alright walking around, and then they sent me on my way. All in all, not a bad experience. I got there at 6:30 am and was discharged by 1:30 pm.

The only thing that stinks now is no driving or lifting anything over 5 lbs for 5 days. They orgianlly told me 3 days, but work is ok with the extra 2 days. I just can't wait to pick up my kids again! Next up, scheduling the actual surgery.

Glad it all went well and no new problems where found!! :D
Good luck with the surgery-do you have a date yet?
Love Sarah xxxxxxx

I too was non-symptomatic. I could take long walks, climb stairs without losing breath, etc. Dr. said it was just a matter of time. My heart cath was not the walk in the park some of my friends said it was but I had to have mine in the groin and they did both sides of my heart. Regurgitation was so great they kept changing "tips" on catheter until they got one to "cross" the valve. Yes I was a little sore the days following the cath but have done things to myself a lot less serious that hurt a heckuva lot more. Cath will be a breeze as will the surgery. FYI-I am 11 days post op adn other than some shoulder pain that I just relieved with a heating blanket, I feel great. Stay positive and expect the best.

I actually enjoyed my cath :x could of been the drugs though. However I was very sore after they wore off and couldn't walk to well for almost 2 weeks when I was told a couple of days, which has me even more nervous about my recovery, if my body was that bad from a minor procedure like that I can't imagine how it's going to be after having my chest cut open. Guess well find out one way or another!

Back