Cat scan side effects?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcopel

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Hey guys, just a quick question. I am coming up on my follow up Cat scan of chest and abdomen tommorrow, 1 1/2 years after my aortic anuersym resection and aortic valve repair. I was just wondering if anyone had any problems or side effects from the Cat scan. Thanks.

I just had a CAT scan on the 6th and I had no problems at all. Due to my heart function I have had some small issues with kidney function but they were sure to check the kidney levels before the test and they just had me drink plenty of fluids afterwards.
The dye that they use does make you feel warm and tingly all over and for just a milisecond it does make you feel like you have peed your pants but it was so quick it came and went before I had time to even think about it.
It should go well for you and I wouldn't worry about it at all if I had to have another one today.
Take care and you will do well.

Consent form?

Consent form?

All above messages on target. Before the exam you will be presented with a consent form to sign which lists every possible side effect and complication. Most patients sign quick and don't read it. This may be wise.

The post-procedure instructions following a CAT Scan at the local 'Heart Center' are somewhat vague. They tell you to drink XX ounces of water over 24 hours and give patients one bottle of water (12 oz.?) at their release.

After-the-fact, it dawned on me that it probably would have been best to drink LOTS of Water over the first 6 hours, i.e. more water, sooner, would get rid of more dye, faster, DUH !

I had a cat scan, only thing I noticed different afterwards was the desire to lick myself (j/k)

I had no side effects, the dye I believe is pretty much the same stuff they use in a catherization, just pump it in a bit quicker. Gets a little "hotter" when they do

It is possible but not usual that the iodine in the contrast could temporarily alter your thyroid function..../QUOTE]

I had a CAT scan last year, and had an allergic reaction to the dye (iodine). At first it felt like I had something on the top of my head, which turned out to be large hives; about the size of nickel. They gave me Benadryl as a treatment. I recently had a heart Catheterization, which requires dye, and they gave me Prednisone to prevent the reaction.

-Don

Thanks guys. I appreciate it. Guess it's probably just a little nerves, maybe its kinda like living it again. It's the first real test after the surgery and you just dont want hear anything negative. I'm sure all will be well. Thanks again.

personally, I feel like crap for a couple days after I have them. It's almost like I have the flu. I've had way too many though.

The first CT scan with contrast was no problem. Felt fantastic afterward. I don't know why I seem to be more and more adversely effected by the contrast medium.

personally, I feel like crap for a couple days after I have them. It's almost like I have the flu. I've had way too many though.

The first CT scan with contrast was no problem. Felt fantastic afterward. I don't know why I seem to be more and more adversely effected by the contrast medium.

You've developed an allergy to it, and your body reacts more strongly each time you're exposed. I'm surprised they're not premedicating you by now.

generally speaking the only SE from CT's with contrast, are from the contrast itself. people may have an allergic reaction to the contrast media that is injected into the vein through a high pressure pump. most people only experience reactions to the contrast if they are allergic to iodine or shellfish.

it is common for people to experience some nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea after having the scan done. it is VERY beneficial to drink LOTS of water, 8 glasses or more, the day before, day of, and day after the CT. its helps the kidneys to excrete the dye from your bloodstream.

they will want to draw blood before doing the scan to check for kidney function. this is done to make sure that your kidneys are able to handle the job of getting rid of the contrast.

Also, what a lot of people are unaware of is the sensation that having the CT done gives you. because the dye is injected through a pressure pump, to get into and throughout your bloodstream at a fast rate, most patients feel a warm sensation throughout their entire body. That is the dye traveling through the bloodstream.
you may also experience an unpleasant taste in your mouth.

i hope this helps!

Latest posts

Back