Cardiologist Report

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

davidwattsjr

I first posted to this site about 3 weeks ago. I had been diagnosed with moderately severe aortic insufficiency.

Many of you responded to me and were very encouraging.

I thought I'd give a brief update.

I saw the cardiologist for the first time this week.

Like the surgeon, he says I'll need to have this valve replaced eventually. However, he feels that its probably a 5 year picture. But, he admits that no one will know for certain.

He'll see me again for an echo in 6 months. Obviously, if I'm worsening, this will change the plan. However, he says if I'm good - he'll drop back to once a year echo's.

He did start me on Nifedipine - a calcium channel blocker. He said there were good studies that showed that this can slow the progression of an insufficient valve.

Any other people taking it? Anybody familiar with these studies?

He started me on a 30mg extended release tablet - and plans to bump me up to 60mg after 6 weeks - to make sure I'm tolerating the medication ok.

He says most common side affects include swelling in the legs and dizziness when getting up from a sittling or lying position.

So far - I feel great - no side affects.

He also gave me "orders" to excercise every day. No excuses. And no caffeine at all.

Thanks again for your previous encouragement.

David.

Hi David

I was on Procardia XL to try to slow things down, but mine was well advanced and I had the surgery last July. When I first started taking it, I felt really funny for a few days then things returned to normal. I was then upped to 60mg.

In your case, it may work just fine, but I was Severe when I started and it didn't help me any. Hope this helps answer your question. :)

Hi David-

Any day you can get medication to give a little help, instead of immediate surgery, is a very good day.

Sounds like you have a careful and caring cardiologist. In addition, you keep a close eye on yourself for any changes.

But most of all, enjoy this encouraging report. You bought some time, guy.

Be well,

I too have a moderate to severe leaking mitral valve. I take Cozaar to hopefully prolong the time before I need it replaced.
( It is odd looking and my surgeon thinks it's congenitally deformed). So far, I have an echo every 2 years.
Gail

Hi! I have moderate Aortic stenosis and insufficency and mitral valve w/ mild regurigitation. I am 20 and until a few months ago had no symptoms. Than started having dizzy/lightheadedness, periods of breathlessness especially when lying flat and/or climbing stairs, and racing heart. My cardiologist was not listening to me and was not willing to get me in to see me. So I went to an internist in town who has interests in cardiology and she pinpointed the cause of problems as Tachycardia. So she started me on Bisoprolol 2.5mgs 1st week, up 5mgs and now at 7.5mgs + been on it since beginning of April. I have picked out a new cardiologist but havent made/or set up anything with new cardio.
I know that doesnt answers you queations in any way but it is nice to find a person with similar story. All the best to you, Erica

Welcome to Our World David !

My previous Cardiologist discovered my Aortic Stenosis but I got a second opinion from another Cardiologist who thought he could help me get another 'several years' out of my valve. I was all for postponing surgery as you can imagine. Bottom Line, I got ONE YEAR and a couple months and was going DOWN HILL FAST by the time I got into surgery.

There are a couple of things YOU and the Cardiologist should watch CAREFULLY, namely the Aortic Valve AREA (surgery is deemed necessary when it is down to 0.8 square centimeters)
and Heart Chamber Size. If your chambers become enlarged, they can become PERMANENTLY DAMAGED. Both of these numbers are typically available on your ECHO REPORT. GET A COPY for yourself and become familiar with there terms and measurements. I would recommend at least one echo every year and perhaps every six months or less if symptoms appear / worsen.

Remember, Cardiologists like to postpone surgery as long as possible, thinking they are doing you a favor. Surgeons like to see you ASAP when the indicators become critical to prevent permanent damage.

While you have the time, I STRONGLY urge you to prepare a will, power of attorney, medical power of attorney, donor card, and any other preparations you may wish to make so that when your Echo numbers say it is time for surgery, you are prepared to move as quickly as possible. Oh yes, interview a couple of surgeons and look at your valve options IN ADVANCE. You don't want to be making these kinds of decisons / preparations with the threat of imminent danger looming over you.

Why am I beating this drum? It took 2 months to schedule my surgery after discovering that 'it was time' and I ended up riding to the hospital in an ambulance due to symptoms that showed up 2 days before my scheduled date. I believe I got there 'just in time'. I don't recommend taking that approach!

'AL'

thanks

thanks

Al,

thanks for your informative post. Mine's regurgitation as opposed to stenosis.... would that change your thoughts for me?

I've been told that stenosis typically decays pretty quick and must be watched very closely.

Likewise, I've been told that insufficiency or regurgitation tends to progress is a more predictible fashion... You get to the same place eventually (surgery) but perhaps in a less urgent or rapid fashion.

In any case - I appreciate your thoughts. I'll have another echo in about 5 months.

David.

Hello David,

Since I am NOT medically trained, I would not want to speculate outside of my personal experience.

My recommendation is to be monitored regularly and to be cognizant of your symptoms. Any change for the worse and I would contact your Cardiologist about coming in for an exam and possible repeat Echo. Just don't ignore any changes for the worse!

'AL'

Latest posts

Back