cardiologist follow up 6 weeks

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chilihead

I went back to see the carediologist yesterday for a 6 week checkup, post valve replacement. He said I had a soft systolic murmur and a 35% ejection fraction. They upped my Toprol from 25Mg to 50Mg daily. Does anyone think this is something to be alarmed about. I feel fine and am thinking of going back to work soon. I may get to do some cardiac rehab if the insurance will pay for it.

Regards,

Jim
Ross procedure with Aortic resizing, 11/18/03

How do you feel?

How do you feel?

I can't address your condition because I'm basically ignorant. I know enough to know that your ef is still pretty low. I take 150 mgs of toprol per day, so 50 sounds like heaven to me . . .

You really need the rehab - and if your insurance balks, push for it. It's the best thing for our reconditioning since sliced bread and it really makes me ANGRY that insurers don't want to pay for it for valvers. My company never haggled - paid for 36 sessions.

One cardiologist told me that 100 mg of Toprol is the "minimum threaputic dose", whatever that means. At 100 mg I was dragging and dopey. My NEW Cardiologist had me cut the dose in half for 2 weeks, then in half again for 2 weeks, and finally stop completely. An arrhythmia developed shortly after stopping so he put me back on the minimum dose (25 mg) and I've done well with a couple of 'events'. I take an extra 25 mg if I am going to 'stress myself' physically or otherwise. Works for me.

By all means, if you can get insurance coverage, take the Cardiac Rehab. The nurses will most likely allow you to 'push' yourself up to safe limits. I found the 'arm cycle' machines REALLY helped loosen up my tight shoulder and back muscles.

Did your Cardiologist offer any explanation for the low EF?
What did he say about the possibility of increasing it?

'AL'

Chilihead - been thinkin' about you! How's the tonque situation? I hope it is progressively getting better. As predicted by the medical establishment, my voice is about 99% now, with just the tiniest of throat irritaion on occasion. I guess time heals.

I can't comment on your Toprol deal. However, I started cardiac rehab today and you need to push for it. I have a team of young, committed professionals who are going to ease me into pushing myself. It felt good to increase my pulse while being monitored - it held together!! Frankenstein lives!

Anyway, even if insurance won't pay, I understand they will do Phase III which is not monitored but still directed.

Thanks to all. THe low EF is due to how hard my heart was workin before and for so long. I'm working with the insurance and hopefully will know by weeks end about the rehab.

Regards,

Jim

Hi Jim,

Do you have any comparison to your pre surgical EF?

Have learned one thing.....echos only reveal a basline EF. For example..last year my echo EF read 40 on 2D echo.

My cardio was very concerned that I may be taking a turn around the "wrong corner" so to speak. Make a long story short they ordered a MUGA scan which revealed an EF somewhere in the high 50's. That's some spread. It all depends upon the tech and or MD preforming the test and how they measure.

Jim, it's good to hear that you are feeling well and thinking about returning to work.

I've never been on Toprol but I know that even a tiny bit of beta-blocker can make a difference.

I'm learning that echocardiograms rely very heavily on the tech that is doing them. Ejection fractions can vary greatly depending on who is doing the exam. What was your pre-op EF? Was your cardiologist concerned over it and/or did he recommend a follow-up to monitor it?

I'm glad to hear you are pushing for cardiac rehab. My insurance paid for 30 sessions and it helped a great deal. It gave me confidence to push myself a little harder.

Well I saw my PCP yesterday and he listened to my heart and said, "Very interesting." That didn't sound good. He didn't seem alarmed and I told him my Cardio said I had a soft systolic murmur. He thinks it sounds more like a diastolic murmur. I don't know which is worse but I'm not going to worry about it for now and keep doing what the cardiologist says.

Regards,

Jim

Latest posts

Back