Cardio rehab cost?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

realkarl

Radiation survivor
Supporting Member
My insurance (Group Health) won't cover cardio rehab, but from what I read this is very helpful and important for a good recovery process, so I really want to start as soon as possible after my surgery.

Does anyone know what sort of cost I am looking at, ballpark figure?

Karl.

I would estimate $30 to $40 per session. A typical regimen might be 3 times weekly for 12 weeks (at least that's what mine was). So you could be running well over $1,000 for the total. I was lucky: my insurance covered it all; I had met my out of pocket for the year.

A sensible alternative might be to get a membership in a good health club and find a good trainer to set you up in an exercise program appropriate for you.

Hmm, thanks. It's probably most important is to get started with the right program, exercises, and suggested monitoring. Then I can switch over to my existing health club after a few weeks, if everything progresses normally and the program changes more towards regular health club exercises.

Mine is 36 sessions for 1,200.00.(3 times a week and they give you 15 weeks to complete it) Check at your local hospital where they offer it. There are many ways you can cover the cost and the hospital can help if you qualify. Its so worth it. The monitoring helps you regain your confidence. Then they can suggest what to do after your release. My hospital offers a follow up program 2 times a week for 40.00 a month.

I think it is well worth the cost. My rehab nurses are great. They all ready spotted some problems with my new valve, that I wouldn't have even known about if I did rehab myself.

It sounds like there is a wide variation, from $1000 to almost $7000. Group Health has an out-of-pocket maximum of $2000. I wonder if that will kick in if their referral is for a program with the highest mentioned cost.
Thanks for your advice. I will dig into the specifics of my health insurance plan and how they plan to refer me after surgery.

It would be worthwhile going to a Cardiac Rehab Facility, talk with the Nurses, get copies of their recommended stretches and exercises, and maybe even take a few sessions.

Once you 'have the hang of it' you should be able to self monitor (you do have a Heart Rate Monitor don't you?) and just use your regular gym or even home gym / walking the neighborhood or (airconditioned) malls.

It would also be wise to buy a (low cost) stethoscope so that you can listen to your heart for arrhythmias or even use to count your Heart Rate against a watch/clock with second hand.

And keep a Cell Phone Handy in case you need to call for help.

It would be worthwhile going to a Cardiac Rehab Facility, talk with the Nurses, get copies of their recommended stretches and exercises, and maybe even take a few sessions.

Once you 'have the hang of it' you should be able to self monitor (you do have a Heart Rate Monitor don't you?) and just use your regular gym or even home gym / walking the neighborhood or (airconditioned) malls.

It would also be wise to buy a (low cost) stethoscope so that you can listen to your heart for arrhythmias or even use to count your Heart Rate against a watch/clock with second hand.

And keep a Cell Phone Handy in case you need to call for help.

Good advice from Al. I have noticed too that some fitness centers have rehab/PT units that work out of their space. Might be an arrangement that could help you get your own program going. Mall-walking is also a good option to avoid the extremes of heat and cold weather, depending on the season.

Thanks for everyone's advice. The cost at the hospital where I will have surgery, which is also where my insurance would refer me for cardiac rehab, is $90 / session.. I will start there as soon as possible after surgery, and when everything runs well, and I have the confidence, monitor my own exercise.
Yes, I do have a heart rate monitor, and use it now, but might well upgrade..

Last edited:
I called a couple hospitals. One is only $ 60 per visit. The other told me that I may not be comparing apples and apples!! They say to be sure I have monitoring with the $ 60 per session one......be sure I have a nurse, not just techs.......now this is becoming a job! I guess I will stop by both and see for myself what goes on before I decide.

Can't help you with this one. It's free here.
I'm surprised it's not included as part of the surgery as surely it's as important as the recovery in hospital.
Here in hospital is stage 1 rehab, out of hospital is stage 2, Rehab is stage 3 and the gym is stage 4

Hope you find something that suits. I would say I'll PM you my excercises, but you need a nurse present for the rehab really.

Lotti

Latest posts

Back