Can't kick the cough

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TFBruce

Good morning all-
I am a little over 4 weeks post. I developed an unrelenting cough almost 2 weeks ago. It is a very loose, productive, cough, with me coughing up lot's of mucous. My surgeon suggested I take a tussin/expectorant to help. Additonally, I take Motrin 400 3 times per day, and still take half Norco at night before bed, just to help me sleep and ease the pain of a full day of coughing.
Cedar fever is really starting to kick in so I am also taking a Zyrtec every day for allergies.
Any suggestions? As you all know, even at 4 weeks, IT HURTS!!! The cough is getting a little better, but it is still there.
Thanks,

Did you use your breathing (i think it was called an odemetor) after surgery? That really should help. I used mine till about 3 months before I stopped. It was surpose to keep your airways cleared. Just a thought!

Have you checked the literature to see if one of your meds could be the culprit?
And yes, you might want to dig your incentive spirometer back out and use that for a little while longer.
Good luck!

Hey Bruce,
Sounds like you are getting hit all the way around with allergies and the like. Also most likely post nasal drip which then makes you cough more. I'm not a doctor, but sounds to me like the tussin suggestion is good one. I suffer from allergies also and when it get real bad, my doctor gives me an inhaler to help dry up everything. Don't know if that would work for you.... Hang it there, I know it must hurt like heck to cough. Get a big pillow and hug yourself tight..

I know it hurts but if it is loose and productive then it is clearing out stuff that does not need to be there ?.. If it persists maybe ask for some cough syrup with codeine.

This is the best site I could have ever come across. What a great family I have found. This should be posted on every surgeons office door.
I asked my Cardio about the incentive spirometer and he said I was getting enough exercise not to need it: I do the treadmill 3 times per day, at 20-30 per time. That said, I will get the spirometer back out.
I wonder if it will hurt in another 2 weeks, when they say the bone should be healed: 6 weeks.

I've been told:
A productive cough is helped with an expectorant.....it aids to break up the phlegm.
A dry cough is helped with cough syrup.....it controls the cough reflex.
This big cough of yours needs to be monitored carefully so close post op. Good Luck.

Bruce if it's starting to hurt,then you should get it checked
All the bugs flying round the differeny maps,there has been so
much out there to help it along and 4 weeks,now hurting.

Bronchitas takes me awhile like couple weeks and bang.....antibiotics

check it out keep us posted you recall anns post and her daughter.

zipper2 (DEB)

Your breast bone is going to be sore for 3 months or so. It may be healed at 6 weeks, but it's still gonna hurt. Ask your Doc about taking some...Shoot I can't remember the name, when I do, I'll post it.

Hi Bruce, I too had my surgery Dec 10 and have had a very niggly dry cough - so I completely understand the pain you are having!! (that and from laughing too hard :rolleyes:). I tried a cough syrup which had little effect, so I've resorted to sucking on Butter Menthols - although I'm not sure these would be much use if you're actually coughing stuff up.

I also had a chat to my GP yesterday about pain relief since the coughing is causing quite a bit of pain at the bottom of my scar and where the drainage tubes were, which in turn is having quite a detrimental effect on my sleep now I'm no longer on the stronger drugs. I've switched over from 500mg of paracetamol 4x daily (which has never worked for me anyway) to a combined OTC ibuprofen/codeine drug 3x a day. It seems to be much more effective for the pain and last night I managed some reasonable sleep.

Here's hoping we both find some relief soon!! :)

(and am I the only person who was never given a spirometer... even in hospital?!!)

A : )

I hope your cough is better!

I just read what you surgeon said about the treadmill, and wanted to point out that the purpose of the spirometer is to make you take a deep breath causing a cough to clear out your lungs. Should you be breathing that hard on the treadmill at 4 weeks?:eek:

Hi Bruce, I too had my surgery Dec 10 and have had a very niggly dry cough - so I completely understand the pain you are having!! (that and from laughing too hard :rolleyes:). I tried a cough syrup which had little effect, so I've resorted to sucking on Butter Menthols - although I'm not sure these would be much use if you're actually coughing stuff up.

I also had a chat to my GP yesterday about pain relief since the coughing is causing quite a bit of pain at the bottom of my scar and where the drainage tubes were, which in turn is having quite a detrimental effect on my sleep now I'm no longer on the stronger drugs. I've switched over from 500mg of paracetamol 4x daily (which has never worked for me anyway) to a combined OTC ibuprofen/codeine drug 3x a day. It seems to be much more effective for the pain and last night I managed some reasonable sleep.

Here's hoping we both find some relief soon!! :)

(and am I the only person who was never given a spirometer... even in hospital?!!)

A : )

I think you might be. I wonder if your hospital doesn't give them out, but think probably it was a mistake you didn't get one.

I think you might be. I wonder if your hospital doesn't give them out, but think probably it was a mistake you didn't get one.

I really don't know... they were asking me to cough on the morning rounds and take a couple of deep breaths which seemed to satisfy them. Maybe it's just something they don't do..?

Well, I finally went to my primary physician about my cough. My lungs are clear, the x-ray of my chest/Frankenstein wire job looked really cool.
He said I had a slight touch of bronchitis and prescribed antibiotics and cough syrup with codeine. WHY didn't my cardio. do that? The good news is, after just two rounds of the antibiotic I feel so much better!!!!
5 weeks and 2 days!

So good to hear you are feeling better, Bruce. Hope this bump is behind you and is now smooth sailing in your recovery.

It was wise of you to go to your physician...you definitely did not need the bronchitis to get worse! persistent coughs are bad and I am glad you are getting over it.

Wishing you continue to feel better:)

Latest posts

Back