Cancelled Surgery --- Has this happened to you ?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAWwindy1

I was scheduled for aortic heart valve replacement and triple bypass on April 28th , 2014 at London University Hospital( Ontario , Canada ) at 1:00 pm . I live two hours from the hospital and had to be there for 10:00 am for pre-op . I arrived ready for my surgery and was admitted and gowned and all stats taken and I was in pre-op ready to go to the operating room . At 12:50 pm the doctor who would be doing the operation arrived at my bedside to tell me that unfortunately , my surgery had been cancelled due to a shortage of ICU beds in the hospital where I needed to go after surgery. I am at home again waiting for the doctor to call me again today ( April 29th , 2014 ) with a new date for my surgery . I will definitely make sure everything is ready before I make another trip for nothing . I had family who followed me there and had rooms booked for the day all for not.

Sorry to hear this has happened to you. Surgery is routine for the hospital, surgeons and nurseing team but its a big deal to us. After all the preparation and arrangements that one must make, it can only be a great let down as well as a big inconvienience. Last month one of our members ANYA shared the same experience when her surgery was cancelled then rescheduled for almost a month later for 16 April. For what its worth, you are not alone in having this happen.

Larry

Hi,
This happens frequently, I got cancelled myself 3 times, and each time I was in hospital prepped and ready to go! But you have to appreciate that the cancellation is probably due to an emergency, as they class our type of surgery as elective and a non emergency, so we do tend to get bumped.
Good luck and enjoy the extra time with your family. As other wise valvers told me "this just wasn't your time"
Deb

Hi,
This happens frequently, I got cancelled myself 3 times, and each time I was in hospital prepped and ready to go! But you have to appreciate that the cancellation is probably due to an emergency, as they class our type of surgery as elective and a non emergency, so we do tend to get bumped.
Good luck and enjoy the extra time with your family. As other wise valvers told me "this just wasn't your time"
Deb

That would suck! I am so ready to get it over with, I cant imagine what a let down that must have been. Hopefully you get back in there directly.

Latest posts

Back