Can repaired aneurysm go?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catwoman

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Friend had an aneurysm repaired in mid-1999. Not sure, but I think it was in ascending aorta. In fall 2009, she had descending aneurysm repaired.
Late Thursday night, she had 10-hour surgery on what I was told was the 1st site. Is in one of the top 5 cardiac hospitals in the U.S. Right now, she's in the critical care unit. Had bleeding issues immediately post-op, had one transfusion today (Sunday).

Just curious: Can a repaired aneurysm go and require a revision? Anyone ever hear of this happening? The information I was given may be wrong, and this may be another site that required surgery.

Wow! All I can say is no, but without all the information, I cannot say with any certainty. Sounds like they didn't replace far enough and allowed a bad section to deteriorate.

First I am sorry for your friend and said a prayer. Does your friend have marfans? She certainly must have connective tissue problems. I would guess it would depend on what she had done in her 1st surgery, since it was repaired and not replaced and even IF it was replaced she could have developed an annuerysm right above the repair 10 years ago. What seems odder to me than an annuerysm forming 10 years after her repair in the same area, is either they didn't notice a problem a couple months ago when they did all the testing and surgery on her descending aorta. I guess it could go bad that fast, but that doesn't sound that common

Three Aneurism Repairs.... sounds like she might have a Connective Tissue Disorder. Was she also a BAV patient?

Or, as Ross suggested, maybe they didn't replace enough of the defective tissue the first time around....

Then again, 10+ years is a relatively long time for a defective area NOT to present a problem...

More information is probably needed to make a better guess / diagnosis...

Oh, Marsha, I'm sorry. That sounds pretty bad for your friend. I'll keep my fingers crossed for her.

Sorry about your friend, Marsha. She'll be in my prayers. Hopefully, she is just really tired. My aunt had double aneurysms (ascending and in the abdomin - is that considered descending?) that were repaired in think in the 1980's. She has a 3rd aneurym brewing in the ascending area again (after many years), but doctors won't touch her at this point until it is absolutely necessary. Must be a difficult surgery. I wonder if the shield they wrap(?) around the aorta deteriorates?

Back