Calling Surgeon.......

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jkm7

My wonderful Mass General Surgeon who did two OHS for me in four years has passed away (bless his soul). He was magnificent and so good to me.

Should I have a question I would normally address to my surgeon, who should I call?
Yes, I know I can ask my PCP or Cardio but they aren't surgeons much confidence as I have in both.

There are a few niggly things in my mind I'd really like to speak about with my surgeon.

Hi,
I know what you mean. It must be a tough transition for you. Many patients develop a wonderful trusting relationship with their surgeon. I often get calls even for health issues and decisions unrelated to the heart and I am happy to have this relationship with my patients. If no surgery is needed, though, you will still do great by discussing all your questions with your PCP and your cardiologist. They know your heart condition better than anybody else.

Warmest Regards,

HeartDoc
www.bigappleheartsurgery.com

Hi,
I know what you mean. It must be a tough transition for you. Many patients develop a wonderful trusting relationship with their surgeon. I often get calls even for health issues and decisions unrelated to the heart and I am happy to have this relationship with my patients. If no surgery is needed, though, you will still do great by discussing all your questions with your PCP and your cardiologist. They know your heart condition better than anybody else.

Warmest Regards,

HeartDoc
www.bigappleheartsurgery.com

I agree. Feels like you lost a family member... Sorry to hear the sad news.

So sorry to hear that your surgeon passed away! That is also one of my greatest fears. For 35 years I have kept in contact w/mine & I don't know what I will do when that's no longer possible. I know I would feel at a total loss too!

But as heartdoc said, your PCP and/or your cardio are the ones you need to lean on now & hopefully you can establish as close a rapport w/them.

Good luck & sorry for your loss!

I must add, that although I'm talking like I may outlive my surgeon, that may be a huge misconception on my part because this "larger than life" 83 or 84-year old man, is certainly spunkier and more active than I'll ever be!! :) http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/album.php?albumid=71&attachmentid=7940

Last edited:
Thanks for understanding. It brings tears to my eyes just to think of him. He helped so many and yet no one could help him when he became ill and died very quickly.

Thanks, Heartdoc. Your patients are very fortunate to have you in their lives.

Oh my.....I guess I take it for granted that my surgeon will be around if/whenever I need him again.
My condolences on the loss, and it might be wise to try to meet other surgeons and try to re-establish
the good rapport that you had before.

You might ask your cardiologist if he/she (I have a team of cardios at Duke and one i see often is a woman) can recommend a surgeon at Mass General that you can get in contact with. While my surgeon did not pass away he left Duke to become the Chief of Pediatric Surgery at Denver Children's Hospital. I am up for surgery again and I have a surgical consult with the surgeon that replaced him. He may be every bit as good or better than my previous surgeon but it is still a bit disconcerting not to have the same surgeon that did the original surgery perform my upcoming surgery. I will have to meet him and then decide if I am comfortable having him do my surgery.

Back